Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

Amazing that it was dry here is a good video of the tunnel in july. What is interesting is at 2’14 when you can see what can collapse, on the left side, the brick wall, and then a few seconds after all the upper bricks. This tunnel has been forbidden, then re open, and so on till 2018 when they wanted to close it to vehicles forever. So yep, i think it will happen anytime soon so enjoy it while still possible [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

That’s a nice video, it looks very wet but also firm ground so shouldn’t be a problem

Reactions: 76_overlander

Constantin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Nuremberg, germany
First Name
Constantin
Last Name
Alecu
Member #

That’s great to see, I’m sure I don’t have a height problem then

How was the track each side of it?
They are both fine gravel roads. One side (I don’t remember which direction) is a smooth ascent, the other one rather steep descent with tight switchbacks but none of a serious problem.

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

So after spending some time on google maps, Gaia and Wikilocs i am thinking i might of been a bit ambitious with the distance i thought i could cover.

i realize there are so many nice looking routes and places i would like to check out just between our first camp site and the col du parpaillon i am not sure i will make it there on day one. As i don't want to rush it i think i might skip the Tende part and plan that for another trip as there are a few routes in that area that are nice, also there are a few nice looking routes a little more west that i will most like look at doing.

also a lot of the roads i want to drive are not actually going somewhere, most loop around, i expected i could make progress from A to B while taking some nice tracks but it is not quite that easy.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

You are doing the right thing. It is the Darwinist way of planning haha. I mean, the whole process looks always the same to me : the first plan is big as you want to see the most you can while you're there. Then you let it cool down and begin to look deeper into the maps and double check things, and as you zoom in you discover many points of interest and realize you want a compromise between enjoying and driving, and downsize the roadbook. I always keep my first route in Gaia and add other layers of smaller routes. And in the end, when there, i let improvisation its chance as - to me - there is nothing more limiting as an A to B roadbook so the best that can happen is when what i've been working on for weeks as plan A turns into plan B because hey, that was not planned but i really wonder how it looks after that bridge, let's go check this out ;)

Reactions: John Smith

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

has anyone driven the Colle del Sommeiller? i understand you need to pay a toll for the last meters and its 4x4 only from that point.

do you think there is any risk of snow at this altitude (3000m) next week? i guess not?

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

has anyone driven the Colle del Sommeiller? i understand you need to pay a toll for the last meters and its 4x4 only from that point.

do you think there is any risk of snow at this altitude (3000m) next week? i guess not?
I looked at local webcams and weather forecasts and I think actually there is no snow but i can not be 100% sure. We had this heat wave but 3000m is still very high so...

These pictures are not 2019 but shot in mid july so expect the unexpected :grin:

Constantin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Nuremberg, germany
First Name
Constantin
Last Name
Alecu
Member #

It’s not the same every year. Ask the locals there. It’s the most reliable source.

Reactions: MarkD

MarkD

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oirschot, Netherlands
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dolton
Member #

I looked at local webcams and weather forecasts and I think actually there is no snow but i can not be 100% sure. We had this heat wave but 3000m is still very high so...

These pictures are not 2019 but shot in mid july so expect the unexpected :grin:

View attachment 106077

View attachment 106079
Ha ha that is a little concerning, i hope its free of snow, if the web cams look good i guess it will be and definitely not that much if any.

not sure if i should show the wife this or not :grin: