2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
So I went to Moab and While I wasn't officially in The Canyonlands Dark-sky Preserve I was in Deadhorse Point right next door. I'm from the east coast and our light pollution is just horrible. I was stunned to st the night sky in all it's glory on a clear moonless night. The darker picture is from my phone, no tripod and a 3 second exposure. The brighter is also from my phone with a 5 second exposure and no tripod. Anything over 5 sec exposure didn't come out that great without a tripod.

20210627_230036.jpg20210627_225718.jpg

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Great pics. Yes, it's amazing how bright a truely dark sky is.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Those are actually pretty good photos for 1. cell phone and 2. hand-held! Did you brace the phone on anything, like a table or the hood of the vehicle? Any post-processing? Thanks for sharing!

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Another Dark Sky Preserve to put on the list is Great Basin National Park, which hosts an astronomy festival in September every year. Amateur astronomers bring their telescopes and set up a star-gazing park for everyone to look through their "amateur" rigs. You will not believe how elaborate some of them are. Here's a sample from our visit in 2018. 14mm, f2.8, 25" ,3200 ISO.
GreatBasin01.jpeg

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
Those are actually pretty good photos for 1. cell phone and 2. hand-held! Did you brace the phone on anything, like a table or the hood of the vehicle? Any post-processing? Thanks for sharing!
Thank you.

In hind sight I should have braced against something more stable even if it was a tree or something. Of the dozens of pics I took these were among the best. I found a fairly clear area and was sitting with the phone on my knee and holding it with both hands. I varied between holding it tightly and loosly to minimaze the movement. Some were extremely blurry.

No post processing just my Galaxy 20+ set to pro mode (I'm definately not a pro) and played with the shutter speed. Night mode surprisingly came out quite poorly.

Next trip I'll have a nice tripod with me...

Reactions: Mustang03

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
Another Dark Sky Preserve to put on the list is Great Basin National Park, which hosts an astronomy festival in September every year. Amateur astronomers bring their telescopes and set up a star-gazing park for everyone to look through their "amateur" rigs. You will not believe how elaborate some of them are. Here's a sample from our visit in 2018. 14mm, f2.8, 25" ,3200 ISO.
While I don't have a DSLR or anything yet, I want to learn how to use one and what all the settings are and what they mean and how to take stunning pictures like yours.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Great pictures! Amazing what phones can do today... I'm looking forward spending a night in one of our rare dark areas hopefully soon!

Reactions: El-Dracho

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Thank you.

In hind sight I should have braced against something more stable even if it was a tree or something. Of the dozens of pics I took these were among the best. I found a fairly clear area and was sitting with the phone on my knee and holding it with both hands. I varied between holding it tightly and loosly to minimaze the movement. Some were extremely blurry.

No post processing just my Galaxy 20+ set to pro mode (I'm definately not a pro) and played with the shutter speed. Night mode surprisingly came out quite poorly.

Next trip I'll have a nice tripod with me...
It wouldn't surprise me if the photos you took while holding the phone tightly turned out to be the more blurry ones. Gripping causes tension, which causes tremor... like marksmanship with a rifle. I would recommend a tripod for sure. Even a small one for your phone will yield an improvement.

I've been using a DSLR for a few years. Go for a nice middle-of-the-road camera body and put your money into the lenses if you decide to go there. But beware! That first f/2.8 glass is a "gateway" drug! Kidding aside, there are lots of free resources on night sky photography that can get you up and shooting in no time. Makes a nice hobby to go with overlanding, too.

Thanks for sharing your photos and keep it up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2dub

Logoris

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Peterborough, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Bonathan
Member #

I'm so jealous, first 3 times I went to a dark sky preserve was all a new moon and one harvest moon. the moon was so bright you could walk without a flashlight

Reactions: Boort