Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Not having kids I have no advice as for how to handle the kid on his first trip. But I agree with @Sheedy614 : make a list and check it twice (or thrice) before leaving. Things you can't have too much of: water, non-perishable food reserves, baby wipes (not just for the 5 year old ;) ), warm clothes etc. If you're going somewhere without signal, which generally Overlanding involves, make sure you have a sat-com device like an inReach.

-TJ

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Small backpack just for your son with a collection of treasures, stuffed animal, books, a few toys. Let him pack it and be "responsible" for it during the trip gives them a huge feeling of being part of the trip, my kids loved it. When they were old enough they got to bring a small pup tent to put up, gave them a place to hang out even if it was to "scary" to sleep in overnight. Seemed the more chores and responsibility they had the more rewarding the trip was.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Arrive at your campsite early enough to enjoy setting up and still having daylight to enjoy. Choose a place where you can have a campfire. Try to find out what (if any) your 5 year old's worries might be so that you can address them. Plan on toilet needs. Make sure you will )all) be warm enough. Have fun!

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Make it an adventure. Leave the electronics and home and talk to him about what you're seeing.

Both of my boys were tech orientated. When they were around 5, I took them out for a day trip, then camping. In both cases, the electronics stayed home so they would be heads up. Be prepared for many questions. The secret was telling them about the forest, pointing out critters, telling about them. Doing this did two things. One, it took the "fear" out of the unknown and made for good conversation. For example, today's ongoing joke is that Mr. Bear will stop for coffee.

I recommend giving them something to do. Both of my son's adventure was to collect wood and assist with the tent. We made a game out of all of the above. Sometimes, they would be faster or beat dad at a chore.

The best part was talking about the stars at night, answering questions and telling stories about when I used to camp on my first camping trip.

The best advice I can give is to enjoy it and have fun, which will pay off in the future. Both children still enjoy camping with Dad; unfortunately, now at 22 and 30 they are the adults and often treat me as the child. :)

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Creator II

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Any tips on first over night trip? taking 5 year old son
Great. Enjoy. I have been camping with my kids before they even turned 1. Below some personal tips:
- Do not drive more than 4h, do regular stops.
- iPads aloud during boarding trips but not at the campsites (not they they ask for them)
- Arrive early before sunset. Expect more time to set up than planned
- Let daddy do everything… and let daddy bong with their child
- Teach your child how to light a fire and how to be safe around it.
- Bring their favourite toy, bring a ball.
- Ask them to explore the area freely.
- Have emergency calories
- Stay warm

Best Regards,

Dimitri

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I am guessing that you already had your trip. Hopefully everything went well. If it didn't, then you recieved some knowledge for future trips :grinning:
Thanks for asking. Yes, we had a great time. Hopefully you can join next time

DaleCade

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Cade
Make it an adventure. Leave the electronics and home and talk to him about what you're seeing.

Both of my boys were tech orientated. When they were around 5, I took them out for a day trip, then camping. In both cases, the electronics stayed home so they would be heads up. Be prepared for many questions. The secret was telling them about the forest, pointing out critters, telling about them. Doing this did two things. One, it took the "fear" out of the unknown and made for good conversation. For example, today's ongoing joke is that Mr. Bear will stop for coffee.

I recommend giving them something to do. Both of my son's adventure was to collect wood and assist with the tent. We made a game out of all of the above. Sometimes, they would be faster or beat dad at a chore.

The best part was talking about the stars at night, answering questions and telling stories about when I used to camp on my first camping trip.

The best advice I can give is to enjoy it and have fun, which will pay off in the future. Both children still enjoy camping with Dad; unfortunately, now at 22 and 30 they are the adults and often treat me as the child. :)
Thanks for the tips, mine is 4 year old.

Last edited:

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

Easy Just go and enjoy.. Take what you think you need and the next time work out what you did'nt.. Children are waterproof :)