Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Hello everyone, I was looking for any advice for my first overland trip. I am planning on going through Colorado and parts of Utah. Do I need to get any kind of permits for BLM land or anything like that? Thank you in advance for everyone's help!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The trip sounds fun! When are you going to do it? Most USFS and BLM land is open and free to use. most of the Forest also have maps at the offices you can pick up. I like to stop by to say hello and get the up to date info.

Reactions: Rubi-life2018

Rubi-life2018

Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

The trip sounds fun! When are you going to do it? Most USFS and BLM land is open and free to use. most of the Forest also have maps at the offices you can pick up. I like to stop by to say hello and get the up to date info.
Thank you for the advice! I am planning on going late summer early fall next year. Have to do more work to the wrangler before doing the trip.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Two things: check fire restrictions and whether you need to carry any fire suppression gear. I don’t think so for UT and CO, but better to check. The other is that there actually are places, where you need a permit even for BLM land. Again, I don’t think it applies to UT or CO, but I’d check. California requires a camp fire permit for example.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I am planning on going late summer early fall next year.
we just did a trip out there early spring this year and it was pretty packed with people. colorado has some boondocking, but utah definitely has more. are you planning to see any state/national parks like the arches? if so, you can get a free pass to all of them if you are a veteran and get the veterans pass, if not, its sometimes cheaper to get a year pass and see multiples parks for less than paying entrance fees to each individually. you have plenty of time to figure out a route and places you want to see. just have a back up plan in case one particular place is really packed. we went to the arches and the entrance was closed by 10am due to over crowding...we went to the canyonlands and then back to the arches later in the evening and it hardly had anyone there. camping was also really tight. we boondocked some and did some campgrounds as well and most of the campgrounds were full very early, especially in utah.

Rubi-life2018

Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

I am planning on going late summer early fall next year.
we just did a trip out there early spring this year and it was pretty packed with people. colorado has some boondocking, but utah definitely has more. are you planning to see any state/national parks like the arches? if so, you can get a free pass to all of them if you are a veteran and get the veterans pass, if not, its sometimes cheaper to get a year pass and see multiples parks for less than paying entrance fees to each individually. you have plenty of time to figure out a route and places you want to see. just have a back up plan in case one particular place is really packed. we went to the arches and the entrance was closed by 10am due to over crowding...we went to the canyonlands and then back to the arches later in the evening and it hardly had anyone there. camping was also really tight. we boondocked some and did some campgrounds as well and most of the campgrounds were full very early, especially in utah.
Thank you for the info!!! I will definitely keep that in mind! Also I did not know about vets get discounts for national parks, I will definitely have to check that out!

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thank you for the info!!! I will definitely keep that in mind! Also I did not know about vets get discounts for national parks, I will definitely have to check that out!
i'm ex-navy and the wife is ex-air force and when we were at carlsbad caverns (national park) they saw my wife was a vet and hooked her up with a pass right there and saved us about $60. later in utah, she showed the pass and everyone in the vehicle got in free, another $60 in savings for every national park we went into, so definitely nice to have.

i was especially stoked, because up until now, the only thing i got out of the military was a bad haircut...:grinning:

Last edited:

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Map & List - US Park Pass it works for most NPs that charge and entry fee or parking fee, helps with camping fees (also ask about your Vet discount for camping) and then a number of agencies also use the pass like the BLM and FS. Thank you to all of you that have served! also in Colorado Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Rubi-life2018

Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

To quote somebody, you don’t overland with what you want, you overland with what you have… Just go, have fun.
Thank you, at the very min I would like to get a roof top tent and a fridge freezer. If time and budget allows I would like to put on 37's (just more as a want then a need for the trip)

Rubi-life2018

Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

Reactions: 9Mike2

Rubi-life2018

Rank II

Enthusiast I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Harden
Member #

i'm ex-navy and the wife is ex-air force and when we were at carlsbad caverns (national park) they saw my wife was a vet and hooked her up with a pass right there and saved us about $60. later in utah, she showed the pass and everyone in the vehicle got in free, another $60 in savings for every national park we went into, so definitely nice to have.

i was especially stoked, because up until now, the only thing i got out of the military was a bad haircut...:grinning:
I will defiantly keep that in mind, and what you don't like that stylish hair cuts you get on base??? :tearsofjoy:

• Haha