First overland trip this past weekend in Maine - Visit to the B-52 crash site.

• HTML tutorial

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Excellent video!

I am also new to overlanding and have a couple Questions regarding navigation. In the video you were looking at a paper map that showed substandard(gravel) roads. Who publishes that map? Also you were using an ipad. What app do you use and where do I find maps? And what sort of gps reciever do you use for it?

BTW, my rig is a 2017 off road premium,in silver, a younger twin to yours.

Beans

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kennebunkport, ME
Member #

Excellent video!

I am also new to overlanding and have a couple Questions regarding navigation. In the video you were looking at a paper map that showed substandard(gravel) roads. Who publishes that map? Also you were using an ipad. What app do you use and where do I find maps? And what sort of gps reciever do you use for it?

BTW, my rig is a 2017 off road premium,in silver, a younger twin to yours.
Thanks! So those maps were the Maine Delorme Gazetteer. Here is a link to the one for Louisiana. I believe they have them for most states, if not all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0899332862/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507634649&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=delorme+atlas+&+gazetteer+louisiana&dpPl=1&dpID=61x1QpQiXRL&ref=plSrch

I use an iPad mini running Gaia gps app. I use the dual xGPS 150a connected via Bluetooth to the iPad and it works wonders.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006M49G80/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507634809&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dual+xgps150a&dpPl=1&dpID=415aKnK1rTL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Gaia GPS is great too. You just have to download thr maps for the area that you are going to be while you have wifi. I always download a large area around where I will be just in case I get turned around and headed in the wrong direction. Once I get home I just delete those maps and make room for new ones!

I use a combination of paper maps, google maps, and cal topo to plan a route. Cal topo allows you to draw a track on the route and export it as a .GPX file which you then load into Gaia GPS. I'm planning on writing up a full instructional on this process sometime soon.

Check out my instagram, I just completed another trip! I'm on Instagram as presentingthe4runner.

I'm learning all this as I go along too so just shout if you have anymore questions.