Enthusiast III

New Orleans
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Prokop
Member #

Dear All,

I am planning my first overland trip with my son and our dog this summer. I have been building the Jeep for this kind of stuff. We are heading west to Colorado from New Orleans and are going to spend about 15-20 days on the road. I am looking for suggestions on trail and things to explore along the way there AND while in Colorado. I am trying to build up my off road driving abilities until then But I am not sure how skilled I will be by the time we leave which makes me want to stick to easy-to-moderate trails. I do have a winch (I have learned how to use it safely), Mud terrain tires (35) 3+ inc lift but no lockers. Navigation wise I'll have a tablet mounted in the car, tethered to my LTE phone. We'll be ground camping. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

So excited to get this going and get my kids involved.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
There will be places you won't have cell service, but some navigation Apps allow you to download maps in advance and then track you with only the GPS function of your phone. Be sure to take paper maps as well.

There are some pretty good Off-Road Driving Skills stuff on Youtube. Check out more info about using your brakes to substitute for the functionality of lockers.

Weather is unpredictable in Colorado. Expect rain & lightning.

This is a must have...

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.03.05 AM.png

Have a great time!!! Take lots of photos!!!

Reactions: samP and DaveD

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Dear All,

I am planning my first overland trip with my son and our dog this summer. I have been building the Jeep for this kind of stuff. We are heading west to Colorado from New Orleans and are going to spend about 15-20 days on the road. I am looking for suggestions on trail and things to explore along the way there AND while in Colorado. I am trying to build up my off road driving abilities until then But I am not sure how skilled I will be by the time we leave which makes me want to stick to easy-to-moderate trails. I do have a winch (I have learned how to use it safely), Mud terrain tires (35) 3+ inc lift but no lockers. Navigation wise I'll have a tablet mounted in the car, tethered to my LTE phone. We'll be ground camping. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

So excited to get this going and get my kids involved.
Awesome! So glad to see more and more folks getting out and exploring with their families.

Here's some info on a trail we developed and traveled last year that might be exactly what you're looking for: www.EnchantedRockiesTrail.com
Feel free to mix and match segments to fit your goals. You should be able to run it without issues in your Jeep. Oh and shoot us an email if you have any questions.