First over land trip

• HTML tutorial

Gabe Bines

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hey guys! I’m just getting into camping and traveling with my car. I’ve got a 2018 4Runner trd off road pro and am planning on going out for a 3 day two night trip. Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or tips to help plan the trip or for during the trip?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I found that when my wife and I went on our first trip we had way to much gear for an actual O.L. style trip. (But in all fairness we were going to be glamping at the KOA in Moab when we decided to join a friend doing the Rim Rocker trail last minute and set up for one night on the trail before doing the KOA). I would say keep your set-up as simple as possible especially if your with a group. My trip to the San Juan's was much better as I set-up my xj to sleep in. And just emptied my Plano boxes under my rig while we sleep. I think I will alway be trying to minimize what I bring.

Where are you going? With a group? Big Ben by chance? I would like to do that park some day.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
We have a discussion you should read, I posted a couple links there that might help you:

Jim

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Gabe,
I was going to have you take a look at the same links Jim gave you! Using a list will help you remember and have everything with you on your camping trips. Keep track on what you used, need and any items you could do without. Keep doing the same before and after your trips. Each trip should go better and you will know what works for you! Everyone has different comfort levels, food, sleeping, and more. Your list will be different than mine. That’s good! Maybe, you will have something cooking better than me, and I will have to come over and help you eat it! Vance.

Gabe Bines

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I found that when my wife and I went on our first trip we had way to much gear for an actual O.L. style trip. (But in all fairness we were going to be glamping at the KOA in Moab when we decided to join a friend doing the Rim Rocker trail last minute and set up for one night on the trail before doing the KOA). I would say keep your set-up as simple as possible especially if your with a group. My trip to the San Juan's was much better as I set-up my xj to sleep in. And just emptied my Plano boxes under my rig while we sleep. I think I will alway be trying to minimize what I bring.

Where are you going? With a group? Big Ben by chance? I would like to do that park some day.
We are headed to a trail near broken bow, ok. It goes around broken bow lake. It’s supposedly really beautiful and it’s a short drive from Dallas. I’m headed out with a group. We will have 2-3 cars and we are planning to camp for 2 nights. It should be an easy first attempt.

Gabe Bines

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

We have a discussion you should read, I posted a couple links there that might help you:

Jim
Thanks so much for the link! I saw that video last week. I would love to work up to that level of prep but I basically am starting with a clean slate so I’ve gotta decide what I want to buy now and what I can wait on.

Reactions: JDGreens

Gabe Bines

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

We are headed to a trail near broken bow, ok. It goes around broken bow lake. It’s supposedly really beautiful and it’s a short drive from Dallas. I’m headed out with a group. We will have 2-3 cars and we are planning to camp for 2 nights. It should be an easy first attempt.
Oh and we are using the Gaia app to mark the trails and everything. It’s been really helpful.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Gabe,
Sonunds like you are on a roll! Hope you enjoy the time with friends and family! Vance.

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

Ive been through the area a few times and went offroading there once. It has plenty of trails for beginners and unmodified 4x4s. Holly trail is a popular spot but because it is so popular it may already be in use. When I went there there was a tacoma with an RTT set up there.

TexasGXGuy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rockwall, TX 75087, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I don’t mean to sidetrack your post Gabe, but which trail are you doing? I’m also gearing up for my first “overland” style trip, love that area and am definitely interested.

Gabe Bines

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I don’t mean to sidetrack your post Gabe, but which trail are you doing? I’m also gearing up for my first “overland” style trip, love that area and am definitely interested.
I’m not sure the exact name of the trail to be honest but I used the google maps app and Gaia App to mark out a trail around the river. Sorry I can’t help!