Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Any advice on the water crossing with a manual transmission? I have heard that you can not engage the clutch in water, but not sure how true that is. It'll be a 2010 Tacoma Sport

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Any advice on the water crossing with a manual transmission? I have heard that you can not engage the clutch in water, but not sure how true that is. It'll be a 2010 Tacoma Sport

Interesting... I've never heard that one before. no problem doing that, cars are meant to be run wet!

Reactions: Go2AllThePlaces

Luis V

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Los Angeles
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Villegas
Member #

My trans and from diff breather comes up in the front half of the driver's side in the engine bay. It sits on the batter side right across from the front of the block. You'll see two tubes coming up with silver caps. they're clipped together. I'll get that vid posted. ;)
I did the crossing a few weeks back in my fj the water wasn't deep but it does stink,,I've seen a stock 4 runner on bfgoodrich tires do it last year when we did the the overland bound trip with no problemDSC_0387.jpegDSC_0339.jpeg

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
For the shadow part stay to the right when traveling East to West, and I mean right on the edge. and for fun travel in the middle and keep your wake up.

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Anyone been out on the trail recently? I am heading back out starting next Thursday, the 18th, going East to West. If anyone has any trail condition updates that would be great to hear about.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Anyone been out on the trail recently? I am heading back out starting next Thursday, the 18th, going East to West. If anyone has any trail condition updates that would be great to hear about.

Not a whole lot changes on the road except for the Soda Dry Lake. For that, at least check in with the rangers at the Kelso Depot or call them ahead of time.
Most of the time they don't know the most current conditions, but that's where they seem to collect any traveler information.
The water crossing is always about the same depth, plus or minus a few inches.

Have fun and post back up here what you find! I'd be interested to hear your report.

Dan.

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I got back on October 21st. Trail was dry, lots of sand which was what I would rate as not so much fun on a big bike (1200GSA). Temps were warmer than expected at night, days were mid 70's which was nice. We camped at Camp Phallus on night one. We got the big site, just below the balancing rocks, it was nice. No pit toilets and only one other camper that we noticed. The second night we camped at Green Rock Mills. Another perfect night with an incredible sunset. The Dry Lake was dry. The river was reportedly high as evidenced by a passing lifted truck with a water line showing well above what we would have been comfortable with so we bailed out at Rasor Road. Overall it was great and fantastic conditions. No flag at the Traveler's Monument. There was a new flag at the Mailbox.

Reactions: Go2AllThePlaces