Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
No way, the school bus is gone?
Yep gone, a buddy or mine ran the trail West to East prior to our running it this month and he saw it being towed.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Yep gone, a buddy or mine ran the trail West to East prior to our running it this month and he saw it being towed.
So sad, I had just done it a month ago and wrote a story on it. I got some great feedback from so many people inspired to head out and see these things on the Mojave Road. Bummer. I get it to some degree it's just trash, a junked bus. And anywhere else, or in great volume, it would be. But on the road, its become a landmark, a reminder of the unforgiving nature of the desert to travelers past, present, and future.

Last edited:

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
According to XMD group "it’s been removed and is now in the Mojave Desert land trusts parking lot"

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
According to XMD group "it’s been removed and is now in the Mojave Desert land trusts parking lot"
I wonder if they plan on keeping it?

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I wonder if they plan on keeping it?
That is still unknown. But removed from the Mojave Road, and its context, it becomes just a junked bus. Not sure its history can be preserved without its location. Their significance is tied together, imo.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Before and after the bus.

I came to the conclusion, without any data, that the NPS decided that it was a liability and it was time to go.
Would have been cool to see it get picked up and pulled out of there...

Bus
Mojave_Bus_2017.jpg

No bus...
Mojave_no_bus_2018.jpg

Dan.

Reactions: TOMB and FrankRoams

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

At 11am this morning I went through the water crossing going East to West staying just left of center. My Jeep has a two inch lift and 35s to give you some reference. Soda Lake was solid and easy to cross. It looks like Mojave Camp is a great place for shelter from the wind. We ended up camping around mile 88 just across Kelbaker road on the left side next to a big hill. It was very comfortable. Have fun.20180325_111726.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Road

Joseph Mongillo

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Camarillo, CA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Mongillo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WLT
Thanks for asking James. I posted a short post trip report on the last page back.
It was an amazing experience. Me and my one buddy that came with me hadn't done it before, and just got the old '86 version of the Mojave Road Guide book. Didn't use a GPS or anything. We really actually enjoyed navigating just by reading and hunting for the cairns. Was disappointed to find that the school bus had been removed just before we got there though. Also missed the lava flow caves. Water crossing scared me when I got there, but ultimately I couldn't find the bypass that you guys had told me about, so I just hit it anyway and everything worked out fine. Was so in the moment that we forgot to take a picture or video though.

I'll definitely do it again some day!

Reactions: TOMB

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

Thanks for asking James. I posted a short post trip report on the last page back.
It was an amazing experience. Me and my one buddy that came with me hadn't done it before, and just got the old '86 version of the Mojave Road Guide book. Didn't use a GPS or anything. We really actually enjoyed navigating just by reading and hunting for the cairns. Was disappointed to find that the school bus had been removed just before we got there though. Also missed the lava flow caves. Water crossing scared me when I got there, but ultimately I couldn't find the bypass that you guys had told me about, so I just hit it anyway and everything worked out fine. Was so in the moment that we forgot to take a picture or video though.

I'll definitely do it again some day!
Glad you made it fine. The bypass is actually just the last road you cross. I want to say it's around 10 miles before the water crossing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
You do need follow park rules, like camping in previously disturbed areas and using established fire rings and so on. But that’s pretty standard stuff. The park site has it all laid out. It’s a short read. Good luck, you’ll have a blast. It’s a fun trip!

Rick Sandfort

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Ottawa, KS, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sandfort
Member #

Thanks all! ... I thought I had heard Michael #0000 say something about permits in one of the videos on YouTube ... OH WELL...

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Thanks all! ... I thought I had heard Michael #0000 say something about permits in one of the videos on YouTube ... OH WELL...
I wonder if he was talking about the large group special access. That (I THINK) is only required for the large group campsites at Midhills. But if you're not going with 7 or more rigs, it shouldn't matter. I got that from a google search after your question got me thinking.
https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/mojave-road.htm
Special Use Permit: https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm

Last edited: