First Aid?

• HTML tutorial

wexferd_t4r

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cleveland, Ohio
Member #

Anyone recommend any certain first aid / safety kit? I was looking at the big one from outter supply but wanted your guys opinion as well. Along with that note where do you guys mount your fire extinguishers? Been playing with that idea recently as well!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I run one of the large outer limit supply kits in my truck, one in my wife's mini van and another small in my house.... Hands down one of the best kits around...

You may see this picture going around Instagram and Facebook of my son and the predicament he put himself in with a stick and his face.... Luckily I had a kit in the closet and I fixed him right up....

If you need any additional info feel free to ask....

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

john_boh

Rank 0

Traveler I

I carry personally stocked trauma kit. It's stocked as:
-2 of each in Multiple sizes of h-bandages
(Largest being an abdominal dressing, smallest being a head injure pressure dressing)
-2 ace bandages
-4 gauze rolls
-4 Triangle dressings
-4 tourniquets
-2 rolls in 3 different sizes medical tape
-roll of duct tape
-2 rolls self adhering tape
-3 red glow sticks
-bottles of ibuprofen, Tylenol, Claritin, Benadryl (pill and gel), eye drops, Imodium, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, baking soda.
-2 epi-pen jr
-2 epi-pen
-Water treatment (chlorine)
-An assortment of gauze squares 12-15ish
-Inclusive dressing for abdominal and chest
-5 packs quikclot gauze
-2 packs of burn gel
-none rebreather mask (with bag valve)
-2 sizes NPA (nasopharyngeal airway)
-blood pressure cuff
-stethoscope
-nebulizer
-trauma sheers
-few pairs of tweezers
-mini med multi tool
-head lamp
-2 fuses
-2 boxs of bandaids
-3blade shaving razor
-WFR and EMT pocket guides

I know that list seems like holy cow that's allot, but I have past medical training. You should carry equipment up to your level of training, with in equitable bounds. The most important part of my first aid kit is the training I've been through. You should have some medical training. If cost is an issue I urge you to look at the people you could be treating and ask yourself how much are their lives worth to me. If it's less then the value of the training, and equipment then save the money. I also have that cause I do forestry and contract firefighting so it's not really a if, it's more of a when.
I keep 5 lbs fire extinguisher at my tail gate, it's useful and easily accessible, opposite my first aid gear. I normally cook(camping) and fuel (for work) towards the rear of my Tacoma, it gives me a sense of comfort knowing it's there.

FreelandRyan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

I know that list seems like holy cow that's allot, but I have past medical training. You should carry equipment up to your level of training, with in equitable bounds. The most important part of my first aid kit is the training I've been through. You should have some medical training. If cost is an issue I urge you to look at the people you could be treating and ask yourself how much are their lives worth to me. If it's less then the value of the training, and equipment then save the money. I also have that cause I do forestry and contract firefighting so it's not really a if, it's more of a when.
I keep 5 lbs fire extinguisher at my tail gate, it's useful and easily accessible, opposite my first aid gear. I normally cook(camping) and fuel (for work) towards the rear of my Tacoma, it gives me a sense of comfort knowing it's there.
Great Kit, have a photo of how its kept and the contents spread out possibly?

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I'm going to pick up the outer limit supply weekender. It has the stuff I am comfortable and trained to use along with all the basic needs while out. I will mount it and my fire extinguisher to the RCI bed rack. When that will be? hopefully before June!! time seems to be tight these days.

Influencer II

I carry this while going backpacking, and it has been more than enough. Cost me about $10 total.

First aid: Gauge pad, Anti-biotic, Athletic tape wrapped around hotel card (That's the whole roll, now compacted), Aspirin, band-aid, heat blanket.

First-aid + fire kit: Matches(dry and wet type), aluminum foil, duct tape around hotel card, cottonballs for fire, sewing kit

Water Bottle for reference.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got an Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Kit. More than I know what to use in it (need to take some first aid classes), but it's fairly comprehensive, and packs pretty small. Stays in the Jeep year round.

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

(Largest being an abdominal dressing, smallest being a head injure pressure dressing)
-2 ace bandages
-4 gauze rolls
-4 Triangle dressings
-4 tourniquets
-roll of duct tape
-3 red glow sticks
-bottles of ibuprofen, Tylenol, Claritin, Benadryl (pill and gel), eye drops, Imodium, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, baking soda.
-2 epi-pen jr
-2 epi-pen
-5 packs quikclot gauze
-2 packs of burn gel
-blood pressure cuff
-stethoscope
-nebulizer
-trauma sheers
-few pairs of tweezers
-mini med multi tool
-head lamp
-2 fuses
-2 boxs of bandaids
-3blade shaving razor

The training can not be stressed enough. There are a lot of great classes out there. Check with local hospitals and get a hands on review, best thing anyone can do for themselves and family.

Spurs14

Rank 0

Contributor II

Uk
Couldn't agree more with the get some training even if it's just a day course with St. John's , gives you a sense of confidence , and a better idea of a first aid kit tailored to your needs

Reactions: Jube

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

-2 ace bandages
-4 gauze rolls
-4 Triangle dressings
-4 tourniquets
-roll of duct tape
-3 red glow sticks
-2 epi-pen jr
-2 epi-pen
-5 packs quikclot gauze
-2 packs of burn gel
-blood pressure cuff
-stethoscope
-nebulizer
-trauma sheers
-few pairs of tweezers
-mini med multi tool
-head lamp
-2 fuses
-2 boxs of bandaids
-3blade shaving razor

Aren't Epi Pens only available with a prescription? I'd like to have one, but for now I've just got diphenhydramine.

I just added chewable (easier to consume) aspirin to my kit; can be very useful (so I'm told) in cases of cardiac distress.

Apparently, tourniquets are back in first aid use as well.

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

As far as kits go, I like to outfit my own. I am a Wilderness EMT (no longer certified) so I can get sort of picky about pre-packaged kits. The bag I like the most, as well as the storage and deployment is from the great folks at Blue Ridge Overland. Very good build quality and well thought out. Here is a link. https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Medium-Hook-Loop-IFAK-Kit-Bag-Gen-2-p/21ifak-v.htm
They have a larger bag as well, but I like the small.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The extent of my first aid gear has always been ibuprofin, gauze, neosporin, camp soap, and duct tape.

If you can't take care of the injury well enough to get out using that, you need an airlift and probably shouldn't be moving that person anyways.

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

I will have to pull my truck kit out and type an inventory of it ( I should have already did this, I know). And I will post it. Admittedly I probably carry more gear than I need, but being a firefighter/paramedic, I tend to look for the worse in any situation.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB member #4392

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

being a firefighter/paramedic
So you probably actually know hoe to use most of the stuff in your kit :P . I fly for the AF, and between survival training and recurrent emergency training, I do have a decent understanding of first aid.

But, I dont like buying kits because only about a 3rd of them are useful for anything more than "booboos," and half of the remainder is probably too complicated for most folks to use without training.

So, my philosophy for pretty much any injury is "clean it, support it, tape it, and pop some ibuprofin."

Also, I do carry that Cortizone(?) Anti-itch cream.

Reactions: southernfire97

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Just completed another First Aid/CPR course, and they really stressed the value of chewable aspirin for heart attacks. From the New York Times: "a study in The American Journal of Cardiology highlighted its importance. In a group of 12 subjects tested in a laboratory, chewing an aspirin tablet for 30 seconds before swallowing on an empty stomach prompted a 50 percent reduction in platelet activity in five minutes." In other words, that incipient blockage can be substantially reduced with the introduction of (chewed) aspirin. Given the prevalence of cardiac disease/heart attack in this country (USA), I won't be leaving home without it. It may save a life...

Reactions: Road

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

So you probably actually know hoe to use most of the stuff in your kit :P . I fly for the AF, and between survival training and recurrent emergency training, I do have a decent understanding of first aid.

But, I dont like buying kits because only about a 3rd of them are useful for anything more than "booboos," and half of the remainder is probably too complicated for most folks to use without training.

So, my philosophy for pretty much any injury is "clean it, support it, tape it, and pop some ibuprofin."

Also, I do carry that Cortizone(?) Anti-itch cream.
Yea, I am plenty competent in using anything in my kit, or most anyone else's to be honest. I think it's a good thing to be able to be able to provide advanced care if need be, so long as you are able to. You can't always create an LZ and extract someone from every situation, so it's good to have the gear needed to be able to provide whatever care you are trained to. That's my outlook on it anyways. The issue I have sometimes is my kit is big and bulky with supplies, so it takes up a fair amount of room. Once I either build a trailer or go with something like a bed cap on my truck, I will have more room for it. Not exactly sure how I want to go at the moment as far as a dedicated overland vehicle.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I would personally not use a pre packaged kit. I would instead think about the types of injuries that may be sustained on the trip.. ie.. burns, cuts, bruises, breaks, and stomach problems. pick your treatment supplies off what you may encounter instead and get training on how to properly administer aid. and always have multiple kits. one for non emergency like the bumps and bruises and stomach/headaches and the second for trauma. it makes it w=easier to find what you need when the pressure is on. also practice using the items. you don't want the first time breaking out the bag to be when you need to treat a broken ankle and you can't find the splint. in the army we cary a kit on us at all times and another in the vehicle. I will keep one in my bag as well and the one on me is like a blow out kit. just what I need to keep myself alive in a pinch.newifak.jpg

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I would personally not use a pre packaged kit. I would instead think about the types of injuries that may be sustained on the trip.. ie.. burns, cuts, bruises, breaks, and stomach problems. pick your treatment supplies off what you may encounter instead and get training on how to properly administer aid. and always have multiple kits. one for non emergency like the bumps and bruises and stomach/headaches and the second for trauma. it makes it w=easier to find what you need when the pressure is on. also practice using the items. you don't want the first time breaking out the bag to be when you need to treat a broken ankle and you can't find the splint. in the army we cary a kit on us at all times and another in the vehicle. I will keep one in my bag as well and the one on me is like a blow out kit. just what I need to keep myself alive in a pinch.View attachment 42593
I too carry a custom kit that I have built over the years. The biggest thing is to carry equipment that you know how and when to use. You could have an ambulance in your backseat, but that will do you know good if you're not trained.

- Tyler

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy