Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

Hello everyone, I am looking to upgrade a pretty basic first aid kit for my gear. I have looked on Amazon and ther are 3,892 options of various sizes and ratings. I am looking for some advice on kits that other folks use, and would recommend. Thanks all!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Most of the off-the-shelf kits I see are full of stuff you'll never use. My kit was based around a career in construction and a lifetime of being outdoors. Being able to manage a headache, small cuts, and minor stuff in my eye have been 99% of the issues I've faced.

Based on this, I suggest you buy a bag you like and build your own kit. I use an old soft-sided lunchbox with:

· Gauze, scissors, Neosporin, and electrical tape to make custom-sized water-resistant bandages
· Toiletries including bar soap, shampoo, comb, hand sanitizer, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, and wet wipes
· Visine eye drops
· Gorilla Tape for tent repairs, fire starting, and blisters
· Basic meds incuding Ibuprofen (anti-inflamatory), aspirin (heart issues), Benadryl (allergic reactions/sleep aid), Tums, and Immodium
· Neoprene ankle brace, a cloth arm sling, heavy-duty rubber gloves
· DEET bug spray
· Nail clippers, tweezers, a razor blade, and a safety pin
· A small flashlight, a combination pen knife/corkscrew/bottle opener, and a space blanket

Some cheap single-use tubes of super glue would be a nice addition. I have used everything I carry except the space blanket and I can't say I've ever needed anything else. YMMV.

Last edited:

BabyBlueBurb

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Riverside CA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Naegle
Member #

A small bottle of white Elmer's glue works well for the smallest of cactus spines... spread it on the area, let it dry and peel it off. Probably not many cacti in Arkansas though.
A couple of different size ace wraps are handy. Used one to splint a broken arm once.
I've searched several first aid kits online and at the store. Pick one between 20 and 30$, look through Kevin 108's list and add anything that might be missing. If you haven't used something by the time it expires don't rush out and replace it.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
In my opinion the best option is to take a 2 day Wilderness First Aid class and then purchase the items that you learn to use in that class. But, I know that is a pretty big time commitment.

Here are some good reviews of various first aid kits.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-first-aid-kit
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-outdoor-first-aid-medical-kit/

There are also many other posts about first aid kits on this forum, and a huge article on the subject.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-safety-first-aid-kits.314/

Mixednuts59

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winnipeg, Manitoba
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Bragnalo
Member #

Make sure to add in Tourniquets, learn how to use them properly. They will save your life. The CAT Tourniquet from ctoms.ca is simple, yet very effective in stopping massive bleeding from a limb. Good off the shelf kits are the adventure medial company ones. I bought one and just supplemented it with extras like gauze, better bandaids, antibiotic cream, blister pads, olaes bandages and tourniquets, etc. Get training on the use of the tourniquet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram @Mixednuts59

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
I have several of these great small kits in every vehicle. It has most the basics needed, and even a tourniquet which most kits just don't have. Another nice feature is its all labeled for those times someone with not much experience has to use it. They are small enough to attach to you or a backpack if your heading into remote areas with out your vehicle, and when in your vehicle fit nicely in your glove box.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I took a WFR class last Fall, and was told that tourniquets are making a comeback. The instructor sited a report after the Boston Marathon bombing that all of the improvised TQ's failed, but the professional ones worked very well. Things like belts won't work. You really need to use a windlass (something like a sturdy stick) to twist and get enough pressure to stop the bleeding. The Israeli Bandage is another popular option.

Mixednuts59

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winnipeg, Manitoba
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Bragnalo
Member #

Most training programs, as I understand, no longer recommend tourniquets and instead teach use of direct pressure instead.
For combat first aid the tourniquet is a must. I have applied them before. Guy took a shotgun blast to a leg, no amount of pressure would have saved him. Tossed that on and boom, bleeding stopped. Saved the guy. [emoji106] Most civilian first aid (st.johns, Red Cross) teach direct pressure, combat and TCCC teach the tourniquets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram @Mixednuts59

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I agree about building your own... make it what you need. Get together with a buddy and you can buy from the med supply houses cheap in bulk. Here is a list of "basic" items I keep in the Land Cruiser and duplicate in my Go Bag. I also have a massive kit that I bring when I lead trips but this list might get you started.

First Aid - Comfort

Streamlight 88061 ProTac 1L-1AA Dual Fuel Flashlight
Cottonelle Wipes 50 pack
3M Transpore Tape 1" x 10 yd x2
Burts Bees Lip Balm .15oz
3 ampules eye wash
Colgate Wisp 4pk
Oral B Floss
forceps
2 pack disposable nitrile gloves
tegaderm Bandage 9505 x2
tegaderm Bandage 1626 x2
moleskin 6x4"
J&J Non stick gauze pad x6
benzoine tincture x2
ammonia inhalant x2
SAM finger splint x2
Splinter out x5
Nexcare band aids, assort 25x
3m Steri Strip R 1541 .25x3" x3
3" conforming Bandage
Krazy Glue (0.07oz)
3M Vet Bond
Aleve x6 (12x200mg naproxen)
unaspirin x6 (12x500mg acetaminophen)
Ibtab x6 (12x200mg ibuprofen)
Dilotab x3 (6x Acetaminophen 325 mg, Phenylephrine 5mg)
Imodium x4 (Loperamide)
Zantac 150 x6 (6x150mg ranitidine)
Benadryl x4 (25mg Diphenhydramine)
MucinexDM (1200mg) x7
Pepto x6 (262mg bismuth subsalicylate)
trial antacid x3 (6x 420mg Calcium Carbonate)
PainAid x4 (8x ***)
antiseptic wipes x7
sting relief pads x3
Mitigator Sting & Bite Scrub 4x
Zee 3-1 First Aid Cream x3
Zee First aid cream with aloe x3
Zee Hydrocortisone x3
water jel burn cream x3
water jel neomycin x6
Ear Plugs - Generic x4pr
n95 masks x2
36" SAM Splint
Q Tips
Single Edge Razor Blade
Alcohol Cleaning Wipes, 4
Banana Boat SPF 30
3M Ultrathon Bug Repelent
Dynarex 4923 CPR Shield
Ace Bandage
12CC Syringe with dispensing tip
Purell 2oz
Israeli Bandage
Quik Clot 25gr
Wound Seal Powder (4 ea)
SWAT Tourniquet

Trauma

CAT Tourniquet
#10 Scalpel
1 pk Halo G1163
Quik Clot Trauma Kit
Israeli Bandage
28 Fr Nasopharyngeal Airway with Lube
14ga Tension Pneumothorax Needle
7 1/4" Trauma Sheers
Signal Whistle

Last edited:

Parker1313

Rank V
Launch Member

Benefactor

Desert Aire, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
North American Rescue has some of the best kits on the market in my opinion. We have multiple of their products and couldn't be happier. There are also some great Wilderness Medicine books out there and we keep one in the Jeep.

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I use several kits that I put together myself. I've standardized on one small kit for the Land Cruisers and my Go-Bag. It's really two kits, 1 small bag for Boo Boo stuff and a companion bag for trauma/ severe bleeding. Here is the Standard Boo Boo Kit from my Go Bag (inventory listed above). It lives in Condor Rip Away EMT Pouch (avail from Amazon etc)

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Biggest tip, know how to use it! You don't have to be a medical expert but at least know what you are doing.
Thats why I just carry a small kit, I know how to use that stuff and know how to stop bleading and stuff.

I see some people carry whole backpacks full of trauma gear, if you know how to use it thats fine. But I'm not carrying that stuff as I have no idea what to do with it :P

Reactions: Mixednuts59

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Biggest tip, know how to use it! You don't have to be a medical expert but at least know what you are doing.
Thats why I just carry a small kit, I know how to use that stuff and know how to stop bleading and stuff.

I see some people carry whole backpacks full of trauma gear, if you know how to use it thats fine. But I'm not carrying that stuff as I have no idea what to do with it :P
You have a point - you can definitely injure someone if you don't know what your doing. Even with simple over the counter meds. All of my kits have laminated dosing charts for example.

I do carry a huge kit with lots of trauma supplies when I hit the trail with a large group and I feel comfortable using the contents but even If I didn't there are often times folks with first responder training that may be available in your group or at the scene and would be grateful to have your supplies in an emergency.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
This is from a different thread but the message is the same.

I’ve gone through all kinds of kits. Training is key. In regards to equipment, you need 3 kits in my opinion. I carry a hard sided pelican EMS case for "basecamp" needs. Stays on the roof rack. This contains things for headaches, diarrhea, cuts deeper than a bandaid can treat but I don’t need to break out the trauma kit for.

I have a "boo boo" kit for my kids and adults who act like kids. Bandaids, basic wound care stuff and Advil.

Then I have a "trauma bag" which is a STOMP backpack. This is set up to care for multiple trauma patients (bleeding, airway, etc). I found that traumas rarely happen in convenient locations and hauling a hard sided case around sucks. As for training, I'm a trauma surgeon so that's covered but I do train other docs in trauma care, those in my Rover Club and anyone willing to listen. The reality of back country trauma care is that you can't do much but what you can do may make a real difference. It comes down to airway, breathing, circulation and shock. Make sure air can go in and out, that blood stays in and moves around the way it is supposed to, and that you treat for the shock that will be present (feet above the heart, keep them warm unless heat stroke/exhaustion). That's all you have to remember about first aid. How you accomplish those steps is were the training comes in. Basic CPR and pressure will care for most survivable injuries. *Tourniquets when used properly are currently recommended for massive extremity bleeding. We use them in the hospital to get immediate control of extremity bleeding. Also you should carry a hemostatic gauze. I use Quikclot at work and personal kit. I recommend people carry a CPR mask, Israeli bandages, tourniquets, ACE wraps, a SAM splint if you want and lots of gauze and tape. You don't need a $400 kit, you need a backpack and maybe $60-$100 worth of gear depending on how many people you want to be able to treat. I recommend carrying enough for all the people in your rig. Let me know if you have questions, always happy to help people learn.

I’m currently working w OB0000 to establish a formal first aid/medical section to the forums and provide in person and maybe video lessons for trauma care. If there are specific topics you want to learn about shoot me a pm. Once sorted everything will be available to everyone.

Chris

PS: suturing....yeah just don’t do it unless you are properly trained. There is one exception in my opinion and that is deep scalp cuts. These can be STAPLED quickly without numbing medicine and will stop the bleeding quickly. We do it all the time for trauma because of the amount of blood that can be lost in a short period of time is significant but you can’t apply a tourniquet to the area. Pessure works but usually there are other more urgent needs to be attended to so stapling just gets the job done. Invest in a skin stapler for your kit.

Mrod

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, OR
Member #

I would second, third and whatever else, the sentiment that it is really about training over "stuff". There are some great things out there, but without the proper training, they are pretty useless. At the very least, I would recommend that anyone going off the beaten path have AHA or Red Cross First-Aid and CPR. These classes are readily available, reasonably broad and cover the basics (airway, breathing, circulation, bleeding control (including tourniquets)) and a host of other things. If you are looking to take it to the next level, I would highly recommend a Wilderness Medicine class from a reputable source (NOLS, WMA or similar). These range from a 2-day Wilderness First-Aid through to Wilderness First Responder. They are an investment of time and money, but they are focused on the scenarios where "and then call 911" is not an option. The "what stuff" question is much more easily answered after training.

One additional thing that a lot of folks overlook is that first-aid skills are perishable, so practice is really important. It is a great thing to do when sitting around the campfire. It is really important on any trip that you have more than one person that has medical skills and practice sessions can help spread the knowledge around the group. It is also helpful and important to play "what if?" with different scenarios to begin to condition your group towards how to you all would respond in various situations.

One final word...just because you can buy it on the internet doesn't mean it has a place in your kit. I see lots of folks carrying items that they are not trained in using, or that would clearly get them in legal trouble if they did use it. If you haven't been trained in how to use something, probably best not to carry it.

For background, I am a backcountry search and rescue Wilderness EMT, former combat medic and have provided medical support for expeditions in many locations.

Reactions: slomatt