Firestik mounted

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I took advantage of the extra day off yesterday and mounted the Firestik antenna that I had bought for myself as a little birthday gift last month.
I bought the door jamb mount, and had to "coax" an extra angle into it, to fit between the body and the light housing. I also dremelled (is that a word?) a notch out of the light housing to it would go back in flush. I took care not to remove too much material, and expose the inside of the housing at all.
I also bought a quick release, which i have not yet installed. The antenna sticks out a foot above the RTT.

I just need to find somewhere local to get the antenna tuned and then (hopefully) all will be functional.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I can also tell you right now, even without the spring you're gonna want at least one tennis ball, maybe two, to save your paint :-)

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I can also tell you right now, even without the spring you're gonna want at least one tennis ball, maybe two, to save your paint :-)
Paint? What is this paint you speak of?

You shouldn't need to tune much with that mount, or at least that's what happened with my firestick and a similar metal mount.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

The mount doesn't have much to do with tuning your SWR, that's all in the length of the stick and ground plane (in this case, ground plane is limited) That's what the tunable tip is for.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

The mount doesn't have much to do with tuning your SWR, that's all in the length of the stick and ground plane (in this case, ground plane is limited) That's what the tunable tip is for.
Interesting. I was told that the metal on metal from the mount to the tire carrier made my setup easier to tune than a friends metal mount on fiberglass cab.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I have the same mount, but put the screws under the light housing (into the top of the bumper). It holds up well, and didn't require any other coaxing to fit. Love my Firestik!