Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Who else likes to pick a spot on a map and just explore the area? I have found some of my favorite places by picking a dirt road and seeing where it goes.
Yep do it all the time that's how you find all the good spots .........

Reactions: O.Dfj

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I like to just get out and go - especially up here in New England with all the old farm trails.
When I was living up at UConn (Storrs, CT) we could just drive and drive without hitting pavement.. It was beautiful.

My only "fear" about exploring like this is getting into something technical and not being able to turn around.
I hate backing down trails - I do it - but there's better ways.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Been thinking about this myself being new to this whole thing. How do y'all find places worth trying to explore? Lot of private property out this way in NC.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Been thinking about this myself being new to this whole thing. How do y'all find places worth trying to explore? Lot of private property out this way in NC.
I use google maps and earth. I look for forest routes, fire trails or unmarked roads within national forests.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I will generally Explorer using Google Maps and other GPS software but before I Venture onto any roads that I am unsure of I visit the County Engineer's office and get a map from them that specifies exactly where the roads are and I discussed whether or not those roads are still legal to public travel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JimmyPresley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Presley
Member #

AZ is awesome because of the public use of private lands and the sheer amount of public lands. Can't beat it except when it gets tooooo hot.

Reactions: Slicer777

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I never realized that what we did in highschool to avoid going home was such a big thing the world over. We didn't have cell phones with maps or GPS or even road maps. We'd just top off our tanks and start driving. I stopped doing that a few years ago and got caught up in being an adult. I'm trying to break that now and start going exploring more. I've been checking out the stuff here locally and try to make a mental note of every road I drive by that I've never been on. This last weekend I found some really neat places not far from my house at all that I had no idea existed. I'm hoping to continue that and I'm trying to find some folks locally who'd like to go along too.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I never realized that what we did in highschool to avoid going home was such a big thing the world over. We didn't have cell phones with maps or GPS or even road maps. We'd just top off our tanks and start driving. I stopped doing that a few years ago and got caught up in being an adult. I'm trying to break that now and start going exploring more. I've been checking out the stuff here locally and try to make a mental note of every road I drive by that I've never been on. This last weekend I found some really neat places not far from my house at all that I had no idea existed. I'm hoping to continue that and I'm trying to find some folks locally who'd like to go along too.
You're in covington, so much stuff in your area. Not far from Potts Mountain Jeep Trail and there is a ton of stuff on the wv side of the state line. Go up to droop Mountain battlefield, right off the battle field is a ton of little roads that will require 4x4 but not to bad you can go alone

I'll be in you're area in april. We are visiting organ Cave in wv then running Potts mountain

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD

JimmyPresley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Presley
Member #

I use google earth for exploring as well. I find an area that looks interesting. Then I zoom in close to see the pictures that have been posted in the vicinity. This starts the list for things to see and do when in the area.

Reactions: TerryD

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I led some friends through Tuscarora State Forest here in central Pennsylvania over the weekend. I've spent a lot of time there over the years. But there were two roads that I saw on the DCNR map, and Google Maps, that I never explored. They seemed to be dead ends from the map views. So we went to check them out. They are still dead ends, but pretty cool areas. The one road continued a bit further but we had some stock vehicles that were not willing to continue and we were running out of time. That is an exploration that will continue next time. In general though, this part of Pennsylvania is kind of difficult to find new places because of suburban sprawl.

I've purchased Gaia GPS to record my tracks/routes though and hope to share with others.

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Agree with Facebook groups, good for discussing trails and finding more people to explore with.
IOverlander APP is good and crowd sourced so you can get information as well as provide more.
Google maps
Crown Land Atlas or BLM website/guide.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Who else likes to pick a spot on a map and just explore the area? I have found some of my favorite places by picking a dirt road and seeing where it goes.
Most Definitely, our fam would either drive around to rural areas and find dirt roads or as you stated pick some where on a map and just go!
Sometimes you find the best spots this way even if on the map it looked like nothing was there.