Finding employees for an Overland focused retail store?

• HTML tutorial

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Hey all,
I have a buddy opening a Overland focused retail store w/ a couple of install bays. He is a few months out and getting the attention of the right kind of employees is a worry.
We talked about going to 4wd club meetings, hitting the trails and looking at builds and trying to find the right folks where they play.
Pay will be on the higher side of the market to get quality people and less focus on getting jobs done on a book rate/clock than doing it right 1st.

So any of you who work retail or in the auto world as techs, how should he get to people...oh and social is NOT in his wheelhouse thus my post :)

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
So any of you who work retail or in the auto world as techs, how should he get to people...oh and social is NOT in his wheelhouse thus my post :)
Not trying to sound sarcastic but, good luck.
I've been in the automotive business since the late 70's and currently train for one of the manufactures. Pre Covid there were more tech jobs then techs. Then Covid hit and the entire industry never recovered. The need only got greater. Shops are making appointments for a month plus in the future.

I have dealers screaming for my guys all the time. Its hard enough to get someone who even knows what a wrench is but someone skilled? The bigger shops are giving huge hiring bonuses and often competing viciously when I have interview days. What's even more rare are qualified instructors. One of my co workers was just snatched by Audi. They had literally zero instructors for the west. The money they gave him was astounding.
You buddy will probably need to train his guys. As was suggested, throw something out on Indeed.

EDIT: forgot to add, the biggest complaint I get from shops hiring untrained kids is , little work ethic and willingness to show up on time.

Reactions: Joaquin Suave