Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I bought the 54 quart and just got back from 3 day camping trip I at Texas/Oklahoma border and fridge did great. Only froze a little along walls but not a lot of build up. No outside condensation. Very quiet!! Would like to get solar panels at some point in future like the suitcase panels. Does anyone know what wattage would be needed?
I just bought the harbor freight 100w solar package kit. I think they are still on sale for $149. I'm happy with it and the only thing you need beside what they furnish is an inverter if you want to use both 12v and 110v dc. If you are not connected to your car and use a separate battery you don't need the inverter to make it a simple set up. I bought a 100 ah 1000w marine battery from Wal mart for $79 (every day price) and though I don't need it I'm going to add another one for good storage. The guys here on OB will give you all the help or advise you will need. I also bought a used larger 250w panel ($60) for my roof top rig that's big enough for anything we would need. I should explain that I have a rig with a trailer for the better trails so one solar set up is for that rig (portable panels) the bigger 250 w is for my roof rack and I use the same charger and batterie for it as I do the portable. That is for the deeper penetration into the outback where a trailer is not advisable and heavy duty 4x4 vehicle is needed. Hope that helps.

Reactions: NV Badlands

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I just bought the harbor freight 100w solar package kit. I think they are still on sale for $149. I'm happy with it and the only thing you need beside what they furnish is an inverter if you want to use both 12v and 110v dc. If you are not connected to your car and use a separate battery you don't need the inverter to make it a simple set up. I bought a 100 ah 1000w marine battery from Wal mart for $79 (every day price) and though I don't need it I'm going to add another one for good storage. The guys here on OB will give you all the help or advise you will need. I also bought a used larger 250w panel ($60) for my roof top rig that's big enough for anything we would need. I should explain that I have a rig with a trailer for the better trails so one solar set up is for that rig (portable panels) the bigger 250 w is for my roof rack and I use the same charger and batterie for it as I do the portable. That is for the deeper penetration into the outback where a trailer is not advisable and heavy duty 4x4 vehicle is needed. Hope that helps.
Thanks! Did the charger and connectors work ok that comes with kit or did you have to get others? What would make marine battery better than a golf cart battery as far as storage of solar energy?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks! Did the charger and connectors work ok that comes with kit or did you have to get others? What would make marine battery better than a golf cart battery as far as storage of solar energy?
For me it is price. The golf cart batteries are more expensive. I believe you can drain a GC battery down to about 80% safely. A marine battery should not go down below 50%. Your solar charger will take care of that. As far as the equipment that comes with the new Harbor freight kit, it is fine as it's users have said in the videos. You can always get better stuff if down the line the kit stuff fails. This stuff gets cheaper every year so to me it is wise to wait until a later date to buy what is now more expensive. Check out the utube video's on this stuff. There is more info out there than you can consume. If it appears to be hard to understand go to a different video. Some are very clear some are to detailed and will bore you.

Reactions: Reaper_st84

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

For me it is price. The golf cart batteries are more expensive. I believe you can drain a GC battery down to about 80% safely. A marine battery should not go down below 50%. Your solar charger will take care of that. As far as the equipment that comes with the new Harbor freight kit, it is fine as it's users have said in the videos. You can always get better stuff if down the line the kit stuff fails. This stuff gets cheaper every year so to me it is wise to wait until a later date to buy what is now more expensive. Check out the utube video's on this stuff. There is more info out there than you can consume. If it appears to be hard to understand go to a different video. Some are very clear some are to detailed and will bore you.
Will look into it and check out video as. We are interested in the suitcase solar panel set up so will research more before buying. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using OB Talk mobile app

Reaper_st84

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Your inside plug is a 12v female or 110v female. Where is your inverter or are you running directly off the solar ? I ask a lot of dumb questions because I am dumb about this sort of thing. I have the 100 w solar panels, charger and batteries. I don't have the inverter yet but I am told I can run from the charger directly to a battery then from battery to 12v ref. Is that correct ?
This outside plug is just a second choice of power source.The night before leaving i always plug the fridge in the garage using this plug,when i am ready to leave i plug it on the solar or starting battery,when i am at camp site i always use solar.

Noco AC port plugScreenshot_20190702-072606.jpg

NV Badlands

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carson Valley, Nevada
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
Will look into it and check out video as. We are interested in the suitcase solar panel set up so will research more before buying. Thanks for the info!

I’ve got both the Harbor Freight 100w setup, their 13w suitcase setup, and a Renogy 100w panel fed into a Goal Zero 400w/hr Yeti.

For about $150, you can get a thin suitcase style that’ll do a full 100w. This one had some decent reviews on YT, but Renogy and HQST released their thin suitcases this year as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/DOKIO-Monocrystalline-Foldable-Solar-Panel/dp/B074G1P2X5/ref=pd_ybh_a_40?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=415MM275BRECNMYQS04X

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hoping the 100 watt will be enough to power our 54 at Costs at fridge/freezer as well as fans and phones charged

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This outside plug is just a second choice of power source.The night before leaving i always plug the fridge in the garage using this plug,when i am ready to leave i plug it on the solar or starting battery,when i am at camp site i always use solar.

Noco AC port plugView attachment 106244
Thank you Reaper_st84. Your info has been very valuable to me and other OB'rs.

Reactions: Reaper_st84

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’ve got both the Harbor Freight 100w setup, their 13w suitcase setup, and a Renogy 100w panel fed into a Goal Zero 400w/hr Yeti.

For about $150, you can get a thin suitcase style that’ll do a full 100w. This one had some decent reviews on YT, but Renogy and HQST released their thin suitcases this year as well.

Super good info. I wanted the suitcase style but couldn't find one for under $200, even the the one's I found were only 60w. That's why I went with Harbor freight. I am alone when I camp so I have more space than many. I don't mind set up time for my panels so I am happy with what I have and I have the added ability to use a 250w roof top on my secondary rig.
I don't have to worry about how long something will last anymore, I worry more about me out living whatever I buy. Never had it so good. LOL

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I went with the Renogy Eclipse. It was putting out almost 7amps the other day!

Reactions: Wilson123

ErnieC

Rank 0

Contributor I

Super good info. I wanted the suitcase style but couldn't find one for under $200, even the the one's I found were only 60w. That's why I went with Harbor freight. I am alone when I camp so I have more space than many. I don't mind set up time for my panels so I am happy with what I have and I have the added ability to use a 250w roof top on my secondary rig.
I don't have to worry about how long something will last anymore, I worry more about me out living whatever I buy. Never had it so good. LOL
found this for under $200 for a decent 100W suitcase monocrystalline panel...not as cheap as some of the others listed here BUT it does come with MC4 cable and adapters so I can plug it in and use with my Yeti400.

this is sooo much more convenient than lugging around my renogy 100W

coupon code SOLAR15%OFF brings it down from $199 to $169.92

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

found this for under $200 for a decent 100W suitcase monocrystalline panel...not as cheap as some of the others listed here BUT it does come with MC4 cable and adapters so I can plug it in and use with my Yeti400.

this is sooo much more convenient than lugging around my renogy 100W

coupon code SOLAR15%OFF brings it down from $199 to $169.92

Renogy also makes a very thin folding Eclipse panel in addition to their thicker glass folding Eclipse panels. I bought it off Amazon for $229 w/ cheap controller ($199 no controller). The weird thing is they do not show the panel on the US Renogy site but they do on the Canadian site Renogy 100W Eclipse Lightweight Suitcase without Controller

It has been working very well for me.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
This fridge didn't miss a beat on a 9 day trek along the Continental Divide through parts of New Mexico and Colorado. The lack of worry about ice was glorious! The fridge did freeze a few items on the bottom and edges when set to 34°. I wasn't comfortable turning the temperature up much more since the fridge temperature did occasionally hit 37°. I did install a dual battery setup in the Land Cruiser prior to the trip for peace of mind when parked for a long evening (2pm to 9am). Last night I turned the fridge off after running nonstop for over 2 weeks to defrost the inside. Very little frost/condensation had formed.

FreeRangeRedneck

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Alabama, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Radford
Member #

Thanks to y’alls Info i pulled the trigger and have had my fridge for 2 weeks now and I love it it has made my full time suv rig life amazing. I went with the optima dual purpose battery for now I do have solar and I’m waiting to get a good lithium battery for my deep cycle set up.

Attachments

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
If you are searching for a slide that fits this fridge, check out the Black Forest Cargo Slide. It just happens to be one of (if not the) cheapest slides available.

This slide has 3 lock out positions: Fully closed, 1/2 extended and fully extended. It isn't the smoothest slide, but it doesn't bind up or have problems when the fridge is loaded. Due to the locking mechanism, the slide makes a little noise when empty but is quiet when the fridge has some food in there.

IMG_20190730_122231.jpgIMG_20190730_122257.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If you are searching for a slide that fits this fridge, check out the Black Forest Cargo Slide. It just happens to be one of (if not the) cheapest slides available.

This slide has 3 lock out positions: Fully closed, 1/2 extended and fully extended. It isn't the smoothest slide, but it doesn't bind up or have problems when the fridge is loaded. Due to the locking mechanism, the slide makes a little noise when empty but is quiet when the fridge has some food in there.

View attachment 109907View attachment 109908
SLICK platform !

Reactions: KonzaLander