Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
IMG_20200820_063043081_HDR.jpg

This past winter I built a RTT trailer to do a bit of Overlanding Camping......Well, CoVid entered the discussion and trip after trip got cancelled. This past week I had reason to travel to New Hampshire to compete in a Cowboy Action Shoot and instead of taking the big travel trailer I decided to take the wee overland trailer.

OVERLAND OFF ROAD TRAILER BUILD FROM LOWES UTILITY TRAILER | RVB Precision

In a word.....FANTASTIC! Everything worked out great!.......BUT....some observations and maybe a total rebuild...

One issue I had was I'm using two "Grub Boxes" that I built over 30 years ago when I did a lot of canoe camping. Getting these heavy chuck boxes in and out of the trailer is a bear. And a hurt back was never far away.

A better solution is to incorporate these chuck boxes into the trailer itself with access doors on the side of the trailer. No reason to have them portable for this type of camping.

The potable stand up shower enclosure with the propane heater and 12V pump worked great. But it should be part of the trailer and not an erector set to set up and take down.

The mattress in the Smittybilt RTT could use a little bit more loft. Maybe a 2" piece of memory foam would rectify this.....

So this winter, I might sell this trailer and build another one with more devices permanently installed......I'm sure by then I'll need another project to occupy my time!

RV Projects Archives | RVB Precision

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I've got a Lowe's build RTT trailer as well, and made most of my kitchen stuff(food) in the back of my GX. I leave one Rubbermaid Action Packer on the trailer with the stove and 5lb propane tank in it...so not much to unload. So far it's working, but I understand your pain.
GX & RTT Trailer.jpg
Orange Boxx 1.jpg