Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Anybody use one in their rig? My carpentry skills suck and a set of factory built drawers just aint in the budget. I thought this might be a cheaper option if you don't sleep in your rig. There are some close to me for $75 each.

field desk.jpg

00G0G_lmpOM3kGbXO_600x450.jpg

Reactions: tkt0912 and Tinker

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have seen them mentioned a few times before (elsewhere) and I think the biggest negative is the weight. But if you have the space and don't mind that, go for it! I could see them being pretty useful, especially with a few minor tweaks.

I actually used one in the Army in the early / mid 90's. :p

Edit to add: I should point out some positives too (as my wife always reminds me)!

They are obviously well built and sturdy. Depending on how how you load it I would recommend thinking about further dividing drawers, or adding in some of that drawer matting on the bottoms, as stuff will rattle and rub. Some wax on the bottom of the drawers (you will see where they contact) will help them slide more smoothly.

If you grab one and start using it be sure to post up! I don't think I have seen people actually use one for camping yet, only talk about it online. :p

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@davis31052

Can't say that I've used one. Looks very similar to the chuck boxes we used as boy scouts, probably a lot lighter too.
If the drawers will hold what you need than for $75 Id say go for it.

You could always use TrekPak (or DIY using Coroplast Signboard, Closed Cell foam, and bent wire) to create custom fit light weight dividers.

Boort

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I would think this would be a very practical solution. Like what has already been said a couple of mods, dividers and foam would stop a lot of banging when driving. I would say go for it.

Eastern Cape Overland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cape Hatteras
Member #

There is a plastic version sold at an area surplus store that is nice. A friend on here ( cape fear xj00) has one and uses it as a camp kitchen. Its pretty awesome.

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
There is a plastic version sold at an area surplus store that is nice. A friend on here ( cape fear xj00) has one and uses it as a camp kitchen. Its pretty awesome.
Yes! that's pretty much my idea for use. My sons buddy has one of the Pelican/Hardigg versions. I tried unsuccessfully to buy if off him. I have seen these run into the $300 plus range. I'm gonna try one of the old ones for $75.

Last edited:

Big Tex

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

McKinney, Texas
Member #

I have always loved those. You could use spray foam insulation in a drawer, then carve out a nice cooler. Go to Michael's and get adhesive craft foam to line the rest of the drawers to cut down in rattle.