Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey we had 2 contacts, nobody got hurt and we had a good time for the most part. We're laughing about it now and making plans for 2021.
Hey as long as you guys had fun... that’s what it’s all about in the end any way. Having fun and learning something.

there are talks for Field Day 2021 having some OB twists involved. Keep a lookout for more information as the year unfolds.

Greenebelly

Rank I

Member I

Wilsonville , Oregon
First Name
James
Last Name
Greene
Member #

Being an overland group, I would think that someone would be on top of a mountain somewhere talking to Europe! I might have to throw my hat into the ring next year.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Being an overland group, I would think that someone would be on top of a mountain somewhere talking to Europe! I might have to throw my hat into the ring next year.
We were on top of the mountain. No contacts from the EU, bad propagation last weekend here in the northwest... however, I talked to Tenesee, Florida, and Quebec. Pretty good for a compromised antenna at 15’ in the air. Next year I will be set up with an Arsenal of antennas to pick from... already working on building up my arsenal now.

dzahler

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Brunswick, NJ
First Name
David
Last Name
Zahler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
w2dz
Well my club made 2 contacts. We had just got set up and on the air when a micro burst hit both tables we were set up on, took both umbrellas off and while we finally found one 1/4 mile away we never found the other. It turned the tables over and scattered the radios, power supplies, keys and all the other loose stuff on it.

That was it for us, we spent the rest of the day taking radios apart and cleaning them with little brushes and canned air. My power supply has a dent in it along with the case on my FT-857D. I'm sending the 857 back to Yaesu for a tune up and maybe a new case.

Hope all you guys enjoyed the day and will be around for next year.

73's...
Not a good way to have the event end. Fortunately everyone was okay.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Had contacting Europe been the purpose of the event we most certainly would have if the propagation gods allowed it, though the mountain is not needed. :smiley:

Reactions: 64Trvlr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I found a couple of pics of field day. Not many and not the best, but hey I was busy having fun.
A054A0E8-095D-4CB0-8993-B29B1BFDF7B6.jpeg3006E80C-5339-45AD-A539-5D247AE07386.jpegD5582F6E-ADA9-49C7-87DF-5BC4AE5491FD.jpeg1051ACCD-B1B5-4139-8C99-CF1ABC69CEA2.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

How did you fare on Field Day?

3219th in the country overall
128th in the country in class (1B1)
235th in the West Gulf Div overall
6th in the WG Div in class (1B1)
31st in the OK overall
2nd in OK in class, by 4 points.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How did you fare on Field Day?

3219th in the country overall
128th in the country in class (1B1)
235th in the West Gulf Div overall
6th in the WG Div in class (1B1)
31st in the OK overall
2nd in OK in class, by 4 points.

#CallScoreCategoryQSOsPower MultGOTA CallSectionParticipantsClub
1W7GRA2,8787A5612 OR7Grande Ronde Radio Amateurs Assn

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
#CallScoreCategoryQSOsPower MultGOTA CallSectionParticipantsClub
1W7GRA2,8787A5612OR7Grande Ronde Radio Amateurs Assn
Btw, that is 1st place for the 7a category. We were second place for the Northwest being beat out by our sister club SSRA out of Tri-Cities, Washington.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If it's a contest, did you get a prize? :wink:
It's whatever you want it to be.. emergency preparedness exercise, public/community outreach, picnic, or a contest.
I treat it as a contest and emergency preparedness because I enjoy that.
When I was starting in ham radio I enjoyed the club setting because I got to set up difference antennas and different radios, operate data and voice and watch the CW guy. But I got tired of sitting around for 8-10-12 hrs to get my 1hr of operating time.
Now I do it alone in the woods so the public aspect is out, just me..my gear.. and operating for 24hrs.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If it's a contest, did you get a prize? :wink:
It's whatever you want it to be.. emergency preparedness exercise, public/community outreach, picnic, or a contest.
I treat it as a contest and emergency preparedness because I enjoy that.
When I was starting in ham radio I enjoyed the club setting because I got to set up difference antennas and different radios, operate data and voice and watch the CW guy. But I got tired of sitting around for 8-10-12 hrs to get my 1hr of operating time.
Now I do it alone in the woods so the public aspect is out, just me..my gear.. and operating for 24hrs.
Depends on the club.... we each used our own equipment... I operated about 20 hours.