Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Has anyone taken the ferry from Whittier AK to Bellingham WA?
Looking for info how the experience was.

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

My grandparents who mined gold in AK did when they had a good summer, of course this was back in the 70s and 80s. My grandfather always told me to take the ferry at least once in my lifetime from AK to WA.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
When we looked into it prior to Covid, the price we were quoted was quite a bit more than driving up would cost especially if booking a room, They also had a chart of how much the fare increased based on how full the ferry was at time of booking, at 90 percent full it was 50% surcharge over base rate, so recommend booking early as possible for your selected dates. Friends that have travelled said they really recommend getting a cabin, as it takes several days and you can not go down to your car during the trip and hang out. lots of folks pop up their tent on the rear deck or a hammock. I can not recall but think it was 4 days to Whittier. We have heard the view is amazing from the ferry, but with the all in cost, we will be driving both ways (hoping to get up there this summer and head all the way North. Figure with the cheap fares from the cruise ships these days we might take a cruise to get our water views.

Reactions: MeliMK