Traveler I

Fresno
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

***NEW Camping/backup lights***. Full build now in comments***

So here we are. Just finished up the suspension and have it mainly dialed in. Need to hit the desert and some light trails to finish it up and see if I need to go higher.

Work:
Baja Kits chase kit
- BajaKits UCA’s
-King 2.5” w/compression adjusters
-Method 205 17” 12mm
-BFG KO2 285 75/r17
-Bestop soft top

2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ Midnight Edition

Attachments

Last edited:

Fenris

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fresno
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

New lights!!!

IMG_5154.JPG

Will post a build thread when I get on a computer. App is giving me a hassle. Night all!

Fenris

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fresno
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Looking good. Are those lights inside or outside of the bestop?
inside. should have the post up around noon. The nice thing about the midnigt's and that window is that you cant see them from the outside unless you really know what you're looking for.

Fenris

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fresno
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

It all started last summer camping when I realized I didn’t have the light I needed. I knew what I had to do... project overkill!!!

First the lights. I got 2 rigid midnight pods on amazon. Customized the harness, and got some bar mounts for my soft top. the nice thing is you cant see them from the outside unless they are one. B.O.B. for the WINNNNNN!!!!!

Slack removed from rigid harness. decided to solder and heat shrink any non pinned connections, being older now I feel compelled to do things the right way vs. 16 yr old me that wanted to get it in and show it off as quick as possible lol.

I also used water proof connections wherever I needed to easliy bypass or disconnect. I used these on everything so technically I could just bring a pigtail and power anything. I decided that I didn't want issues (or at lest be able to better trouble shoot) so I made my own without crimp connectors or solder joints in between, I may have set myself up for more issues that way lol! Time will tell.

Next up!!! Relays!!! And here is where the over kill set in... so I knew I wanted multiple lights for the future. And figured if I’m in here now, might as well go for it. I started with 2 sheets of abs. The first was used to come up with a relay panel.

Roughed in wiring and bent the ABS with a heat gun, vice, and some 2X4’s. I call it a “red neck heated break”.

Final setup. Held it in with zip ties so it’s all removable. Also, the way this is setup I will still be able to put in a second battery. A yellow top once my Bday rolls around :grin:. Also note the 200amp breaker. I have a 100amp one I may swap it out for and put this in another project.

I knew I wanted easy access to the switches so I decided I’d go with the flow and make them easy to see and reach. I made a template (sorry no pics) for the pocket area, 2nd sheet of ABS went in the red neck jig and got me here. I used a center line for the first switch, a 3 switch spacing template to get the 5 holes how i wanted them. Off set them to the righ because my phone mount blocks the blank area:

Used a Dremmel and a file to get these just right

Final placement, just needed to wire it in.

2... hours... later.... and yes, all even length and heat shrinked. I considered soldering these joints (everywhere) but think it would be too hard to service in the field so just stayed with a crimp.

I made a signal and power plug. power was the same as earlier and tucked under the dash. The signal is pinned left to right for the switches and match the #'s on the posts at the relay. also not pictured is the piggy back fuse I used on accy for the switches. I may change that in the future but i have a habit of leaving things on and getting dead batteries so that was more protection from myself.

Last but not least this is how I chose to run the wire. Being that its a newer truck I couldn't bring myself to drill the console so this is some of the only exposed wire loom, makes it a little more removable as well.

Tada!!!

Thanks for checking it out!!!

Reactions: -Yeti-

Fenris

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fresno
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Looking good. Toss some pics of each area as a wider view
Will do! Just need to clean up and get some night shots. I also got a 3D printer recently so this might get interesting very quick!!!