Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

Superduty

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I fully agree with you that folks should get their license. But, do you really think people are being jailed for using a ham radio on an overland trip without a license? Has anyone ever been jailed for simple recreational use of a ham radio, like one might use a CB (assuming they are not taunting another ham user or doing something extraordinary)? My guess is the odds are much better that you get struck by lightning.

Reactions: TheVolt

Radiola

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

I fully agree with you that folks should get their license. But, do you really think people are being jailed for using a ham radio on an overland trip without a license? Has anyone ever been jailed for simple recreational use of a ham radio, like one might use a CB (assuming they are not taunting another ham user or doing something extraordinary)? My guess is the odds are much better that you get struck by lightning.
Yeah ok so heres the thing its the law and if your a ham radio opperator you know that and if your not then get your license.

Sent from my LGLS775 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Overland 505

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I always get a kick out of people saying "it's a race radio". Here is part of a article I just read.
Note: you may not use a VHF radio in the United States without a valid FCC-issued license or Amateur radio license. Use of VHF radios in Mexico is allowed during the SCORE Baja race, and subject to local regulations.

I don't ask if someone has a ham license when on the trail, but I do ident with my call sign ever so often when transmitting (per the rules) for license preservation. You never know who might be listening. Lol

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

More likely fined, not jailed.

Truck-to-truck, on $30 Baofeng radios, on low power, out in the boonies, probably not going to get caught. But then the license is $15, so why not get legal?

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
I don't ask if someone has a ham license when on the trail, but I do ident with my call sign ever so often when transmitting (per the rules) for license preservation. You never know who might be listening.
Communications with a non-licensed station is illegal per Part 97.113 (Prohibited Transmissions) and as a license holder, you can be held liable. So, you need to make some sort of effort to make sure you're talking with a licensed amateur. I'm not saying you need to check their paperwork, but they need to at least provide a legal callsign (after all, that is part of the amateur exam).

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

If you do what to use your $30 baofeng there are frequencies you an use without holding a ticket. MURS 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range https://www.fcc.gov/general/multi-use-radio-service-murs , FRS (1/2 watt) , GMRS no test 5 year license.

Personally I am very interested in getting my License however have gotten very little traction with online tests and now realize that I will need to put in significant effort to pass a test about a subject I have no experience with. I really don't understand the requirement for knowing how to build a radio to operate one. For now I will operate within the guidelines of the law with the non-test licenses I have applied for. - WQWY232

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Personally I am very interested in getting my License however have gotten very little traction with online tests and now realize that I will need to put in significant effort to pass a test about a subject I have no experience with.
Check out the KB6NU study guides. He offers the Technician level guide as a free PDF download and has his one-day technican class videos on YouTube.

Also, seeing that you're in San Jose, CA, there are two sets of upcoming Technician classes in your area (1) and (2). I think you could have good success in getting the entry-level ticket!

Reactions: 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Check out the KB6NU study guides. He offers the Technician level guide as a free PDF download and has his one-day technican class videos on YouTube.

Also, seeing that you're in San Jose, CA, there are two sets of upcoming Technician classes in your area (1) and (2). I think you could have good success in getting the entry-level ticket!
Thanks will have a look, so far the book I have and online tests have been nearly a waste of time.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

If you do what to use your $30 baofeng there are frequencies you an use without holding a ticket. MURS 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range https://www.fcc.gov/general/multi-use-radio-service-murs , FRS (1/2 watt) , GMRS no test 5 year license.

Personally I am very interested in getting my License however have gotten very little traction with online tests and now realize that I will need to put in significant effort to pass a test about a subject I have no experience with. I really don't understand the requirement for knowing how to build a radio to operate one. For now I will operate within the guidelines of the law with the non-test licenses I have applied for. - WQWY232
Thank you @Radiola correcting me that even with licensing use of the Baofeng fall under a different rule still technically making them illegal with out HAM license.

Radiola

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

@1derer the FCC really does not police but the Ham Radio community that's a different story we self police and report unlicensed operators/ interference to the FCC who take the action. and I just don't want to see anyone getting on the bad side of the FCC. It is also our ( Ham Operators ) duty to correct misinformation and to show/tell the general public what Ham Radio is about. and believe me I understand what your talking about when you say a kluged up system anything operated by the US government has got to be 10x harder than it needs to be. part 97 this part 95 that ect.........it's enough to make your head spin when you try to make heads or tails of the Reg's, the other thing is I don't what us as a group to get a bad rap with the FCC or any other Gov agency or the Ham Radio community for misusing the right to use what we have been given whether its CB, GMRS, FRS ,MURS, Ham frequencies or all the land we have access too.

Reactions: Steve and 1derer

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

For those who would like to get their license there are HAM Crams out there. What's a HAM Cram you ask? The entry level HAM license can be taught in a day. What you do is go to "class" for a day and at the end of the day you take toe FCC exam. The pass rate is pretty high and it is not very hard.

With that said, I would suggest that when you get your license you consider learning a bit more about HAM radio. It is a hobby like Overlanding and can be a lot of fun. In fact you can merge Overlanding and Ham radio in events like Summits On The Air. This is where you go to a mountain top, set up a portable station and make contacts. It is good fun.

Reactions: TerryD

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
For those who would like to get their license there are HAM Crams out there. What's a HAM Cram you ask? The entry level HAM license can be taught in a day. What you do is go to "class" for a day and at the end of the day you take toe FCC exam. The pass rate is pretty high and it is not very hard.

With that said, I would suggest that when you get your license you consider learning a bit more about HAM radio. It is a hobby like Overlanding and can be a lot of fun. In fact you can merge Overlanding and Ham radio in events like Summits On The Air. This is where you go to a mountain top, set up a portable station and make contacts. It is good fun.
Good guidance here.

There are so many modes and methods of operation in Amateur Radio, cram, get your Tech, then study up on the modes and equipment you want to work.

As to enforcement, yes, it's up to the licensed community to OBSERVE AND REPORT, not act. FCC enforcement budget has taken a huge hit. However, they are acting on actionable information that will result in an obvious violation. As to folks operating equipment illegally, it's not hard to figure out who has a license and who doesn't. Yea, in the outback you may get away with vehicle to vehicle on 0.5w. Don't try raising your buddy on a repeater system.

Reactions: Simon Wolfe

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I used the study guide @Chris Arnesen mentioned. It's written in such a way that the answers and questions lend themselves to each other and it works very well. I studied that over a long weekend years ago and it started to make sense of everything. Couple that with one of the practice apps on my iPhone and it was easy to know when I was ready. Another advantage of the app I used is that it shows how you score by section. You might have all of the formulas down for Watts, or Amperage, but not on another subject. The app lets you know so you don't waste time studying something you're well versed in, but kinda clueless on another.

For anyone not making progress studying on their own, the HAM Crams mentioned by @Simon Wolfe are great from what I hear. You're not learning all of the theory and background needed to be a HAM operator. What you learn is everything needed to pass the test. No more, no less. After 6 or so hours of filling (cramming as it were) your brain, you go straight to taking the test, so it's as fresh as possible. Remember, the license is good for 10 years. And many years ago, in an effort to make it easier for people to get their HAM license, the FCC did away with the Morse Code requirements.

A lot of people build up the test to be this huge insurmountable task that they can never accomplish. Sometimes it seems the hardest thing about the test is finding a time and location that works for you. Pick one a few months away. Study what you can and learn the rest at the cram session. You'll be better prepared than some, and that might just be enough confidence boosting you need to succeed at the test!

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

You guys just reminded me of something that should be mentioned, ALL the questions and ANSWERS are public. No secret questions, no one can just make up questions, everything is published. When you take practice test (I like QRZ.com but what everyone else has suggested are just as good) you are answering the exact questions with the exact answers that are on the test. The only difference is that they change the order of the answers. Think of it this way, you are 35 rather easy questions away from being compliant with Part 97, having good communications on the trail with your friends, and being part of another great hobby.

And, if you are having doubts or just not getting something please give me a bump, I'm happy to help folks out.

Reactions: Sierrahotel83