Rank III

Enthusiast III

Purcellville, Loudoun County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Brinkman
Member #

What are your favorite YouTube overland channels for the following categories?

1.) Adventure/Story Category

2.) Gear Reviews Category

3.) Maintenance How To Category

4.) Mods/Builds How To Category

5.) Relevant Skills (e.g., Recovery, Navigation, Off Road Driving, Bushcraft, etc.) Category

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i really dont watch any "overlanding" videos, but i did sub to richard's channel. as far as categories go, i think he hits several with his vids as he includes adventure/stories, gear review and the VERY relevant skill of cooking outdoors. he's also an OB member, so keep up the good work, @Ragman

Reactions: Ebbs and 19mystic96

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The only "overlanding" videos I consume are ASPW's 4XOverland, Dan Grec, and that other Aussie, I can't remember his name. Back when the youtube vids were all very novel, I had subscribed to 3 or 4 different producers. I've since, unsubscribed from them all. I appreciate Andrew's honest reviews of gear which is possible because he does not use any sponsors. He does have vendors that give him things to try out. Those vendors have a great deal of confidence in their products because they know going in that he will be honest in his review. He also explores places in the world that I will probably never be able to explore. Here in North America as we continue to explore, I prefer to see and experience where we explore through my own eyes, not through the eyes of a youtube producer. Sadly, a lot of producers are sponsored by major corporations. The add placement of products is another means of marketing. In fact, many of the sponsored overlanders must sign contracts agreeing to provide positive reviews. I will now step down from my soapbox, thank you for indulging.

Reactions: NMNomad

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Despite being a creator on YT I don't consume a lot of the "overland" content as a lot of it seems to be aimed at performative art for those who want to live vicariously through the channel (ie overuse of drones, 3 angles driving through a puddle, driving around a corner to set up a camera then backing up to shoot yourself driving around the same corner) and not really to help others who are out there doing the longer trips etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with those videos at all and they seem to be the biggest channels in the space, just not my cup of tea although I will never say never that I won't do some of that in the future. I tend to watch videos that teach me something or show me new places (as @MOAK said above) such as ASPW (Grenadier whining aside), Dan Grec, Ronnie Dahl, and Michael and Corrie or channels that help me do my own maintenance-I actually used YouTube for a mechanical issue on the Dempster in Inuvit.

It is all what an individual enjoys and I hope the content I put out is entertaining to some, informative to some, and is seen as fair and unbiased. That is another thing that I watch out for, companies provide items to us for review. Some provide (or discount) them asking for an unbiased review or don't even ask that we do a review-no strings attached-which I have accepted and I always reveal the item was provided if I do a video (Snow Peak and Giant Loop stand out for not even mentioning a review). Others want to provide you something (or give you a discount) but then ask to review your video before you put it up, which I have adamantly declined but then see other channels doing reviews of the item and pimping an affiliate link. That turns me off the channel immediately.

I guess being part of a community like this is important as I think it provides a bit of guiding light on reviews in that some of the community may act on a recommendation and if I have provided vetted and insincere commentary then I have let the community down.

Last edited:
D

Dave in AZ

What are your favorite YouTube overland channels for the following categories?

1.) Adventure/Story Category

-Dan Grec, the road chose me
- Ronny Dahl, Australia long treks
- Pin in the Atlas, interesting US destination spots, like ghost towns etc
- Prospect Overland, honest simple weekend couple, no fancy camera, more realistic
- Softroading the West, Oregon solo guy, some fancy camera but mostly DIY on the cheap, minimum gear, just driving and camping minimalist. Not much BS.

2.) Gear Reviews Category

- ReeWrayOutdoors, solar gens and panels
- Hobotech, solar gens etc
- Project Farm, unbiased actual use testing reviews
- Jasonoid, solar gen etc

3.) Maintenance How To Category

- Timmy the Toolman, tacoma repairs
- Chris Fix, all car repair
- Outdoor Auto, repairs

4.) Mods/Builds How To Category
- DIY Solar with Will Prowse, mobile solar

5.) Relevant Skills (e.g., Recovery, Navigation, Off Road Driving, Bushcraft, etc.) Category
- Ronny Dahl, 4x4 driving skills, recovery
- David West, firemaking
- Corporals Corner, rough or survivalist make-do camping setups
- Matt's Off Road Recovery
I tried to insert my answers into your quote.
By far the best overlanding and skills and teaching channle I know, is Ronny Dahl.

TX95ZJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, TX, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
RRR
Here are some of my favorites (some of these channels span multiple categories, but I'll only list them once):

1. The Story Till Now, Lifestyle Overland, Venture2Roam, Epic Family Road Trip

2. The Outdoor Gear Review (directed at camping, not overlanding)

3. BleepinJeep

4. Dirt Lifestyle, Fab Rats

5. Matt's Off Road Recovery, TrailRecon