Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hi Dave, I have purchased an ARB Tyre Repair Kit, so what I am hearing is the carry a small sidewall repair kit also that has patches and cement and I should have everthing I need for the tyre repair on the trail?
I imagine patching a sidewall would get you to a paved road but, but. but I would never exceed 20-30 mph to get to help. Just my 24 cents.
Be safe.
Zim

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
Push through tire plugs are a polarizing subject for tire people, with the overwhelming consensus of tire manufacturers that they are temporary "hardship" or "emergency" repairs where the tire is a highway use tire. I agree with that and am not interested in debating it.

However, that said, there is certainly a place for them in those hardship or emergency cases, particularly when off road or where proper repair sourcing is not possible. I get it.

The SINGLE most important function when using a push through plug is finding and following the path of the original injury. Failing to do so frequently produces a second injury which is open to pressure that allows air migration into the belt package, body ply(s) or presents as a leak around the plug (best of the scenarios)

Safety Seal has been making a rope type plug for decades, they are effective within the limitations of their application.

The tire guy in me is now going to ask/strongly suggest that you have any push through plug that you may from necessity or convenience need to install in a on highway use tire, correctly repaired and the tire inspected as soon as possible for your safety and the safety of others.

*DISCLAIMER:
I understand that your anecdotal experience with push through plugs garage flooring glendale, Draino, Bars Leak, witch doctors and Democrats may be positive. I don't care, they are all short term treatments that will ultimately fail you given a wider experience rate.
Last night I ran over what looks like a piece of animal bone while out in Creede Colorado. I had a spare tire but before I mounted I took advantage of the situation and got some practice in by trying to plug the hole with 2 plugs. That didn’t work but I feel like it might have worked temporarily with 3-4 plugs.

I have an ARB tire repair kit but I’m looking for other options for larger repairs while in the back country. Are there any products similar to a rubber weld available for tires ? What’s your go to method for large repairs?

Thanks,

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Last night I ran over what looks like a piece of animal bone while out in Creede Colorado. I had a spare tire but before I mounted I took advantage of the situation and got some practice in by trying to plug the hole with 2 plugs. That didn’t work but I feel like it might have worked temporarily with 3-4 plugs.

I have an ARB tire repair kit but I’m looking for other options for larger repairs while in the back country. Are there any products similar to a rubber weld available for tires ? What’s your go to method for large repairs?

Thanks,
I don't think I can help you with your question. There are cold vulcanizing two part rubber compounds but these are not short cure time products designed for field use and lend nothing structural to a repair serving only as a barrier to water migration.

Pretty much any penetration in a modern radial tire over 1/4" diameter is going to be deemed not repairable (for good reason). So if a single plug (or two) doesn't stop the air leak 4 isn't going to be any better, the construction of the tire being the limiting factor. Important to remember here that "It holds air" is only a relative indication of the success of the repair beyond immediate exigency.

So to answer your question what I use for larger (in fact personally any) repairs regardless where I am is the spare.

Again, before the flood of anecdotal experiences, I understand there is a raft of ersatz repair methods that other people may or may not have had success with. I have seen tires super-glued, caulked, stitched with wire, stitched with weed eater string, stitched with cord, taped with all manner of tape, plugged with screws, sticks, newspaper and hot glue with the common denominator being relative levels of desperation which is understandable in the moment. That said in 2023 in a world where every mistake and bad decision people make must certainly be someone else responsibility, there is absolutely no circumstance where I would endorse or suggest any of them, least of all on the internet.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
100% agree with @bgenlvtex here.
I've repaired more tires in the shop then I can count. Some I refused to repair due to the location, size or manner of the repair. When I use to rock crawl, that's a diffrent story. Everything we did was so the vehicle didn't have to replace the tire before he got home.
I will add this, if the customer used s liquid sealer, I have never been able to make a tire patch stick. It seems the sealer soaks into rubber and everything I tried couldn't clean it. If I used liquid repair, I would be replacing the tire asap.
In my kit I carry safety seal plugs and a glue tread. I have never used the glue tread but am keeping it incase I cut my spare.

Reactions: madcratebuilder