Favorite Tire Repair kits?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

oneleglance

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham Callsign
KE7NKP
Recently during a novice Overlander class we got to put my Extreme Outback tire repair kit to good use.....

This led to my recommendations to the folks there and then after I got to wondering what others were actually using/liking.

So let's hear what everyone carries, if you have actually used it and any thoughts.
20190831_155149.jpg

KonzaLander

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0EBF
I carry a piece-milled together kit from the hardware store. Metal reamer and plug insertion tools, black (small) and tan (big) plugs, rubber cement and a round patch kit with buffer.

My tires pick up a lot of nails when on the road. I have had good luck with basic plugs + rubber cement filling those holes until I can get home and do a real repair. Sometime those plugs become a bit more permanent than I'd like to admit, but I have never had one leak or come out.

bgenlvtex

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Push through tire plugs are a polarizing subject for tire people, with the overwhelming consensus of tire manufacturers that they are temporary "hardship" or "emergency" repairs where the tire is a highway use tire. I agree with that and am not interested in debating it.

However, that said, there is certainly a place for them in those hardship or emergency cases, particularly when off road or where proper repair sourcing is not possible. I get it.

The SINGLE most important function when using a push through plug is finding and following the path of the original injury. Failing to do so frequently produces a second injury which is open to pressure that allows air migration into the belt package, body ply(s) or presents as a leak around the plug (best of the scenarios)

Safety Seal has been making a rope type plug for decades, they are effective within the limitations of their application.

The tire guy in me is now going to ask/strongly suggest that you have any push through plug that you may from necessity or convenience need to install in a on highway use tire, correctly repaired and the tire inspected as soon as possible for your safety and the safety of others.

*DISCLAIMER:
I understand that your anecdotal experience with push through plugs, Draino, Bars Leak, witch doctors and Democrats may be positive. I don't care, they are all short term treatments that will ultimately fail you given a wider experience rate.

Reactions: glade8r

Pathfinder I

A Google search well show you all the newer hi-tech tire plugs on the market. Good idea to carry a set of Colby valve stems. Keep the plugs sealed in a air tight bag, they dry out rather quickly.

Reactions: RainGoat

oneleglance

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham Callsign
KE7NKP
A Google search well show you all the newer hi-tech tire plugs on the market. Good idea to carry a set of Colby valve stems. Keep the plugs sealed in a air tight bag, they dry out rather quickly.
I just learned about the Colby valve stems, ordered them and will report back once I have a chance to play around with them.

Brewbud

Rank V

Enthusiast III

SoCal
Member #

I carry an ARB kit in my truck and a Boulder Tools kit in my Jeep. Both work well. I added a nice pair of Klein pliers to the kits. It can be difficult to get the @#$% nail or screw out of the tire.

Lindenwood

Rank V

Advocate II

Ft Walton Beach, Fl
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
McDonald
Member #

I am cheap so I had been rolling around with the $7 HF tire repair kit. On its first use, I bent the plug insertion tool immediately. I had to use the spare to get to a local 4WheelParts to buy the ARB kit, which successfully repaired the tire. I also bought a whole new set of wheels and tires so I could run a full-sized matching spare.

Highly recommend the ARB kit. To be fair, not only is it of significantly higher quality, but does also come with a few extra items, like pliers to remove the offending shard. Realistically, I would say there can't be more than a $5-10 "ARB Premium" compared to if you could find the exact same kit under a more generic offroad name. But, worth it since having a good repair kit could easily mean the difference between ruining a whole afternoon with your kid (which it did for me), or being on your way in 5 or 10 minutes.

Reactions: RainGoat