Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I cant and wouldn't argue with you about what bugs you about stupid camping practices by stupid people @Road.
That is a completely different thing done by people who are using their rigs for more than showing off their wares at the shopping center.
@Wheelinghard916 - OP, is only talking about the people who have a rig but never go on the trails or camp sites. I dont think they are the people who you are rightly complaining about. If they dont go anywhere, they are not screwing up anything, Thank God !
Well aware what he was talking about Jim, but thanks for stating it again.

As you have done countless times, I simply expanded the query, in this case to include when I would 'deal with' it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Well aware what he was talking about Jim, but thanks for stating it again.

As you have done countless times, I simply expanded the query, in this case to include when I would 'deal with' it.
I'm sorry, please help me get my foot out of my mouth before I choke :-)

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Not sure why it matters. Maybe he likes to build out his rig and that’s his hobby. We had a guy at our gun club that loved to reload. The real only reason he shot his guns was to create brass to reload. Reloading was his hobby. We didn’t call him out on that. Why should we? I brought him brass, bullets, powder, primers and told him to call me when they are ready. And he thanked me. Go figure. And it looked like factory loads.

Life is to short to waste time on stuff like this. Go camping instead, or Overlanding if you prefer that.

Todd

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I saw this video talking about people who buy a lot of equipment and stuff pretending to go overlanding but never leave pavement and just get into the idea of making it look like they do.

I have a friend who drives around with hi lift jacks and max tracks in a Land Rover all the time but has never left pavement. He claims to have been a camel truck driver even though he was barely born when the series ended. He also claimed to do the rubicon. All lies.

How do you guys deal with people who do this ? Do you see them in your group meets ? Do you call them out?

I’m not talking about the person who has a vehicle that’s not really off road capable but is interested and learning as they go off-road and Upgrade. I actually respect that. I’m talking about the kind of person who goes out and gets a rig they believe is the most superior off-road because they read it somewhere . Then they spend thousands on upgrades and drive the rig to work and back never leaving pavement.

Is this a common thing ?
Nothing wrong with fauxverlanding. Some people make the big adventures; some people just want to play Expedition Overland in their yard.

I would say most people don’t use their gear to its fullest capabilities, but I’m happy as long as they’re buying gear and supporting the sport/hobby in a positive way.

Also, fauxverlanders are a prime source of barely-used quality gear for pennies on the dollar.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Their is a stolen valor type of thing going on. People claiming to have done the rubicon and camel truck competitions completing notable trails etcetera. It’s interesting because it seems that this community is pretty relaxed on these types of things. In other circles that’s a huge no no ..
There is no real valor in doing the rubicon or any trail... At least not in my book they are just other trails to have fun on.

Some people like their modded out trucks and if they never take it off road I could care less I have no ego about thinking I am better just because I do a lot of off road. I do my trips because I enjoy them period...

Look at the number of pavement queens out there maybe more than numbers that actually go off road... lol How many fast mustangs Dodge RTs corvettes ect. are out there with 500 plus hp motors.. And never get raced or even driven fast... Are they posers? Maybe but so are the guys who think people should be racing those cars or guys who worry about pavement queens...

Like others mentioned they could be a source for a cheap future rig...

Last edited:

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

There are lots of brodozers and fauxerlanders out there for sure. These heavy built urban assault vehicles are all over my town that never see dirt. I'll put it on the other foot though. This goes back to the idea out there among a lot of "wheelers" that overlanding are posers because they build these rigs and never take them out and bash them on super technical trails. I think there is plenty of shade to throw around by everyone who wants to call out others. We all want to be seen as core enthusiasts that have always done what we do. The reality is that overlanding in the US is a new thing that has become a marketer's dream. The ability to blend custom cars and outdoors gear into off grid tail gating and provide products that people will buy and buy to be a part of it is pure genius. Americans have always been more interested in fashion above anything else. I learned that after 20 years in the outdoors industry on the snow side. I've seen everything that was old become new again. At overland expo I had many conversations with sales people and manufactures that are outdoor industry refugees. They all say the same thing. It's fashion. As outdoor retail dies, out of the ashes has risen overlanding, because lets face it overlanding to a spot is easier than hiking to it. Today its Toyotas that fashionable tomorrow it will be something else and there will always be those old timers who will sit back and say "back in my day...". So call them out if you want, but realize that the industry will continue to market to you and try to convince you to pull that card out. In the end everyone has a different path to the outdoors and adventure and it is not for any of us to judge but for us to be inclusive.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Some of the most expensive components are also the most visible components. Some of those are also the least used (traction boards) or least susceptible to wear and tear (tent covers) and then there is always people who don't beat on their shit.

People with limited funds or long term plans may take years to build their rig.

People with full time jobs and/or young families may not have the opportunity to "get out there".

In a (sad) era of people who are perpetually offended, (mis) guided by identity politics and when people are actually not laughing at the term "cultural appropriation", don't be one of those people.

Smile, be friendly or just walk away.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I thought I might break the cable when trying to shift into 4 low when I test drove my WJ. Yep, it unlikely ever was in 4 low in it's first life. When I bought the Tahoe it had 20's , Z06 Corvette badges, and you could eat off the under carriage despite the G80 locker and skid plate patiently waiting for some use.
So I don't fret, posers and soccer moms are the best thing to happen to the 4x4 used market. Just nod or chuckle and keep cash in hand for when they are ready to move on to the next fad or upgrade. But I see your point, if someone is running their mouth it is so tempting to have a little fun at their expense.......

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I'm old enough to remember when full size trucks were leaf-sprung, on 40"-44" tires with 4 shocks per corner, dual steering stabilizers, double-triple chrome roll bar, and 10 KC HiLights! (Came shortly after the custom van craze)
Oh yeah!

I also remember the Toyota pickups on 44s. All chromed out underneath. But missing the front driveshaft. Even had cool airbrushed graphics, just like the vans used to have.

The idea of picking up some trail pinstripes would have sent their owners into fits of apoplexy.

Nothing has really changed. It is just a different set of accessories on a different platform.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Convince him to come get stuck somewhere with you to test his equipment and his skills. Or just laugh at him as an example ive got a neighbor with alot of cool fishin stuff a real nice 40k buck center console sea worthy boat and he has the fishing dude look like he fishes tournaments but i know for a fact my wife and i are on the water catching more than him in kayaks. He also mows 5 times a week but thats another matter. We just look at his fancy boat and other toys and laugh because we know were actually out there doing it. Everyone is a poser to someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckSavage

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If it makes someone happy and its not breaking any laws or rules of decency Im 100% for it. I spent many years trying to be an "identity elitist" by calling out posers and such. Then I myself was called out. After that I realized it doesnt matter. Like Boosted said above, everyone is a poser to someone.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Maybe he has dreams and more money than time, or maybe his real hobby is building his rig. (Another hobby of mine is woodworking; pros often have worse equipment than the hobbyists, and some hobbyists are tool collectors not furniture builders). If he genuinely can't differentiate reality from fantasy and you are actually a friend of his, talk about that, otherwise it's all good.

Reactions: 9Mike2