Faux overlander

• HTML tutorial

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

I saw this video talking about people who buy a lot of equipment and stuff pretending to go overlanding but never leave pavement and just get into the idea of making it look like they do.

I have a friend who drives around with hi lift jacks and max tracks in a Land Rover all the time but has never left pavement. He claims to have been a camel truck driver even though he was barely born when the series ended. He also claimed to do the rubicon. All lies.

How do you guys deal with people who do this ? Do you see them in your group meets ? Do you call them out?

I’m not talking about the person who has a vehicle that’s not really off road capable but is interested and learning as they go off-road and Upgrade. I actually respect that. I’m talking about the kind of person who goes out and gets a rig they believe is the most superior off-road because they read it somewhere . Then they spend thousands on upgrades and drive the rig to work and back never leaving pavement.

Is this a common thing ?

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
Yep....ignore. I'd rather see a beat up old Chevy pick up or a Jeep with some dents in the fenders and mud on it than a pristine "Overland Rig" (I have a neighbor with one....you could eat off the under carriage....but he looks cool with his hi-lift on the hood and his recovery rings all nice and shiny). I just shake my head and keep doing what I'm doing. No sweat off my ba**s....

(Of course....if I had a cocktail or three in me and saw him at a party I might ask if he knows how to put it in 4-Lo....just sayin....haha)

Ultimately I think those are good used vehicles to buy. Like soccer Mom SUV's that have only ever seen the mall.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
How do you guys deal with people who do this ?
there really isn't anything to deal with...most people eventually flock to like minded folk and guys like that find his like minded clique and eventually everyone is happy. hell, a guy like that might be good to have around...if he's always upgrading, you can probably get his good unused items real cheap!

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

Their is a stolen valor type of thing going on. People claiming to have done the rubicon and camel truck competitions completing notable trails etcetera. It’s interesting because it seems that this community is pretty relaxed on these types of things. In other circles that’s a huge no no ..

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Every hobby and activity has poseurs. Some do it because they want to imitate what they see as desirable. Some are just insecure. Some don’t have the time or motivation for adventure so they end up living vicariously through others but still want to be part of a ’community’.

I agree with MidOH (first half haha), invite them to go on and adventure. If they never show, their loss. It takes too much of my valuable energy to be unfriendly.

If that reasoning is too Zen for you, look at it this way: It’s one less person you have to interact with when out trying to enjoy nature.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

If you enjoy his company take him out for real. If he stops to take pictures of his rig "flexing" on every other rock for the 'gram just give him that look that says "...don't do that." and maybe he'll get the idea. Maturity will snap him out of it one day, and improving one's self in the woods is a great teacher of humility and maturity.

and if that doesn't work, you've got a high chance of being able to shoot down any of his future tall-tales with anecdotes of how he didn't even know how to change a tire when he breaks a bead airing down to 8psi.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

There is nothing to "deal with". Their money their life. Maybe urge them to join OB. They may change their minds and join us on a group outing someday.

Besides, the simple fact that they are buying gear and supporting the off-road/overlanding market is good enough for me. That helps our friends put food on the table. :)

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Just think, when the “Fad” wears off in a few years, you’ll be able to score a nicely built Rubicon with all the goodies that’s never been in 4wd, let alone off pavement! It’s a win win....just be patient!
Yep!

And keep in mind, they are helping to fuel the market that will develop new toys. It doesn't matter who is buying the toys, just so long as there is enough of a market to make it worthwhile for manufacturers to keep developing and producing them.

Let the posers play their games. They don't really detract from any of us, and their dollars are helping to fuel a growing industry.

It's all a win in my book.

ETA: Even better that they are not clogging the trails and leaving their litter behind.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I saw this video talking about people who buy a lot of equipment and stuff pretending to go overlanding but never leave pavement and just get into the idea of making it look like they do.

I have a friend who drives around with hi lift jacks and max tracks in a Land Rover all the time but has never left pavement. He claims to have been a camel truck driver even though he was barely born when the series ended. He also claimed to do the rubicon. All lies.

How do you guys deal with people who do this ? Do you see them in your group meets ? Do you call them out?

I’m not talking about the person who has a vehicle that’s not really off road capable but is interested and learning as they go off-road and Upgrade. I actually respect that. I’m talking about the kind of person who goes out and gets a rig they believe is the most superior off-road because they read it somewhere . Then they spend thousands on upgrades and drive the rig to work and back never leaving pavement.

Is this a common thing ?
I see maybe, maybe 1 in 100 who are as you describe. My question to you is, what did you do to deal with YOUR friend
if you are that opposed to the one in a hundred who chose to be faux overlanders in your opinion. I don't judge whether or not any of our members are in the category of your friend are, or are not true overlanders. The lie is on him not on us to decide his intentions, maybe he is just a big dreamer who cant fulfill his dream and protects it with his lies. He owns them, not OB members.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It doesn't bother me if some choose to spend big money on an "All Hat, No Cattle" approach to owning and outfitting vehicles. Overland Bling, I call it. I don't feel like I have to do anything to "deal with" them. It's their money, not mine.

It does bother me, though, when someone--convinced they know how to use a fancy rig and gear simply because they own it--go back country or off-grid and leave shit behind or do harm to the surroundings. It's usually out of sheer ignorance of how to be a better adventurer. Some go on to be better and more responsible campers. Some go on to be habitual repeat offenders who don't give a shit.

Way too many new campers with fancy rigs, and often even those who do know better or have more experience, figure "Oh, just this once won't matter!" when it comes to disposing of their own waste properly or damaging a campsite or trail. Again, it's usually because they haven't learned how to be better.

Even if only 1% of all adventurers think that "just this once won't matter," it is still a huge number for any wilderness area. Especially with so many more people joining in who have little to no experience with camping or adventuring of any kind. I think we all know the percentage is much higher than only 1%.

That's when I feel more of a need to "deal with" them. It can be an opportunity to help others understand better ways to be outdoors, and to the importance of low-impact land use and responsible recreation.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It doesn't bother me if some choose to spend big money on an "All Hat, No Cattle" approach to owning and outfitting vehicles. Overland Bling, I call it. I don't feel like I have to do anything to "deal with" them. It's their money, not mine.

It does bother me, though, when someone--convinced they know how to use a fancy rig and gear simply because they own it--go back country or off-grid and leave shit behind or do harm to the surroundings. It's usually out of sheer ignorance of how to be a better adventurer. Some go on to be better and more responsible campers. Some go on to be habitual repeat offenders who don't give a shit.

Way too many new campers with fancy rigs, and often even those who do know better or have more experience, figure "Oh, just this once won't matter!" when it comes to disposing of their own waste properly or damaging a campsite or trail. Again, it's usually because they haven't learned how to be better.

Even if only 1% of all adventurers think that "just this once won't matter," it is still a huge number for any wilderness area. Especially with so many more people joining in who have little to no experience with camping or adventuring of any kind. I think we all know the percentage is much higher than only 1%.

That's when I feel more of a need to "deal with" them. It can be an opportunity to help others understand better ways to be outdoors, and to the importance of low-impact land use and responsible recreation.

I cant and wouldn't argue with you about what bugs you about stupid camping practices by stupid people @Road.
That is a completely different thing done by people who are using their rigs for more than showing off their wares at the shopping center.
@Wheelinghard916 - OP, is only talking about the people who have a rig but never go on the trails or camp sites. I dont think they are the people who you are rightly complaining about. If they dont go anywhere, they are not screwing up anything, Thank God !

Reactions: JCWages