First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Fire ambeance and cooking during fire restriction season:

If you have a barbecue with a cast iron girl/griddle, and also use a gas firepit at camp, you might get both fitted together perfectly.

Worked out great in my case. See images attached. You can also use a tripod grill for steaks or hang a cast iron pod.

To have a more realistic fire experience you can use barbecue smoke pellets in a smoker tray covered with aluminum foil under the firepit. Add some rock wool and some ceramic wood logs for the evening fire time. If that is not enough to please your eyes and smell, play some relaxing fireplace sound on a Bluetooth speaker placed behind the firepit.

Attachments

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Cool set up. I like it. I have a very similar, if not the same propane fire pit. What brand and model is the flat griddle?
This one is from my Blackstone barbecue. If you don't have one, I'd look into griddles for your house cooking stove. They are nice flat for easier storage. Just needs to have dimension so it's bigger than your fire pit.

A tripod grill is also a good option with the fire pit: Robot or human?

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin

If you have a barbecue with a cast iron girl/griddle, and also use a gas firepit at camp, you might get both fitted together perfectly.

Worked out great in my case. See images attached. You can also use a tripod grill for steaks or hang a cast iron pod.

To have a more realistic fire experience you can use barbecue smoke pellets in a smoker tray covered with aluminum foil under the firepit. Add some rock wool and some ceramic wood logs for the evening fire time. If that is not enough to please your eyes and smell, play some relaxing fireplace sound on a Bluetooth speaker placed behind the firepit.

Explore optimal thyroid health with ease –buy thyroid-s online from a trusted source. Elevate your well-being with convenient access to quality thyroid support
I have had a wood fire pit forever and while I enjoy the look and feel of a real fire it is causing some problems with neighbors. The wind quite often blows the smoke right into his window and I understand his concern. I do my best not to be a pain but when I rent the place the renters are not always as conscientious. They often light a large fire and let it burn for hours even when they are not sitting around it. I am going to try to solve the problem with a propane pit. I see the big concrete bowls and they look pretty sharp. Does anyone have any recommendations on the better quality yet reasonably priced brands or models? I do like the idea of flicking a switch to turn it on vs getting the wood going. How about smores? Do they taste ok over a propane fire?

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
I have had a wood fire pit forever and while I enjoy the look and feel of a real fire it is causing some problems with neighbors. The wind quite often blows the smoke right into his window and I understand his concern. I do my best not to be a pain but when I rent the place the renters are not always as conscientious. They often light a large fire and let it burn for hours even when they are not sitting around it. I am going to try to solve the problem with a propane pit. I see the big concrete bowls and they look pretty sharp. Does anyone have any recommendations on the better quality yet reasonably priced brands or models? I do like the idea of flicking a switch to turn it on vs getting the wood going. How about smores? Do they taste ok over a propane fire?
This is not a big propane bowl, but it is very good quality and right now very reasonably priced. I have this Oriflamme in my backyard for our personal use at home.

Reactions: OBB

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Cool set up. I like it. I have a very similar, if not the same propane fire pit. What brand and model is the flat griddle?
At the moment, I use this one: Backcountry Iron 20 x 9 inch Large Reversible Seasoned Cast Iron Grill / Griddle https://a.co/d/gH2lFPk

Lighter and easier to transport than the one from my backyard.

Contributor II

Ukiah, CA, USA
First Name
stephenkillian
Last Name
killian

To have a more realistic fire experience you can use barbecue smoke pellets in a smoker tray covered with aluminum foil under the firepit. Add some rock wool and some ceramic wood logs for the evening fire time. If that is not enough to please your eyes and smell, play The GP510 some relaxing fireplace sound on a Bluetooth speaker placed behind the firepit.
Cooking on a propane firepit can add a touch of outdoor ambiance to your culinary experience. Here's a fashionable and fun way to cook on a propane firepit:

1. Gourmet Grilling:
    • Set up your propane firepit in a safe outdoor area with plenty of ventilation.
    • Use a stylish cast iron grill or griddle placed over the flames to cook your favorite gourmet dishes.
    • Prepare marinated meats, vegetables, and seafood for grilling. Season with herbs, spices, and marinades for added flavor.
  2. Fancy Skewers:
    • Thread colorful vegetables, fruits, and meats onto decorative skewers.
    • Grill the skewers over the propane firepit until the ingredients are tender and charred to perfection.