Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
I have been planning a kid friendly trip for over the holidays of 5 days in Anza Borrego, 3 days on Mojave, and a few days headed up through DV & 395 towards home in Sacramento. The 2nd half of the trip (Mojave to home) we're going to be joined by a less capable 4wd (Honda pilot) who's family has been itching to join us on a "rugged camping trip"; hence focusing on some easier trails 2nd 1/2 of trip.

Turns out Anza Borrego & DV are closed to primitive/backcountry camping. Withholding my political viewpoint towards government prohibiting people from social distancing. We will have kids in the 3-6yr old range, a few friendly old dogs, and some rigs of varying capabilities; locked & loaded to.... honda passport (hoping this trip catapults their interest into investing towards an off-road camping rig).

I'm hoping someone can suggest some awesome alternatives. We're still planning to run the Mojave Trail cause it's not closed (yet?).

Considering Organ Pipe National Monument, Sedona, etc. Looking for areas in the far SW as it's warm and reasonably close (within 13hrs) to home.

Leaving in three days so hoping this gets some suggestions before we just drive off blind :) Picture for attention.IMG_4888 (1).JPG

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have been planning a kid friendly trip for over the holidays of 5 days in Anza Borrego, 3 days on Mojave, and a few days headed up through DV & 395 towards home in Sacramento. The 2nd half of the trip Mojave am going to be joined by a less capable 4wd (Honda pilot) who's family has been itching to join us on a "rugged camping trip"; hence focusing on some easier trails 2nd 1/2 of trip.

Turns out Anza Borrego & DV are closed to primitive/backcountry camping. Withholding my political viewpoint towards government prohibiting people from social distancing. We will have kids in the 3-6yr old range, a few friendly old dogs, and some rigs of varying capabilities; locked & loaded to.... honda passport (hoping this trip catapults their interest into investing towards an off-road camping rig).

I'm hoping someone can suggest some awesome alternatives. We're still planning to run the Mojave Trail cause it's not closed (yet?).

Considering Organ Pipe National Monument, Sedona, etc. Looking for areas in the far SW as it's warm and reasonably close (within 13hrs) to home.

Leaving in three days so hoping this gets some suggestions before we just drive off blind :) Picture for attention.View attachment 180484
The Mojave Road is open and will not close. Advise if you need any specific information about the Mojave Preserve.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I have been planning a kid friendly trip for over the holidays of 5 days in Anza Borrego, 3 days on Mojave, and a few days headed up through DV & 395 towards home in Sacramento. The 2nd half of the trip (Mojave to home) we're going to be joined by a less capable 4wd (Honda pilot) who's family has been itching to join us on a "rugged camping trip"; hence focusing on some easier trails 2nd 1/2 of trip.

Leaving in three days so hoping this gets some suggestions before we just drive off blind :) Picture for attention.View attachment 180484
I have to ask, where was the pic taken. Man, that is an amazing shot and scenery

Reactions: Norcalocal

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky

I have to ask, where was the pic taken. Man, that is an amazing shot and scenery
43º 20' 23.27" N, 109º 52' 49.23" W

Reactions: MeliMK

srotier

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, Maryland, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Rotier

I’m not an expert of the Sedona area by any means, but currently the weather in the Phoenix valley is in the Mid 60’s during day and dips into the upper 30’s at night. If you are looking for warmer camping spots Sedona will be in the low 30’s at night until closer to April/May when the weather begins to warm. Good luck on your trip! Hopefully you can get your friends to join you on more adventure in the future.

Reactions: Norcalocal

Waltzing Matilda JT

Rank V
Investor

Endurance I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Daharsh
Member #

Death Valley is not closed to back country camping. Just campgrounds and hotels. The Xannterra just shut down the Furnace Creek Ranch. There is plenty of back country camping for capable rigs. I have worked at DV for last 16yrs, if you don’t wanna take my word go to the NPS website. It says roads and trails are open and list most of the backcountry camping 4x4 trails

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky
Death Valley is not closed to back country camping. Just campgrounds and hotels. The Xannterra just shut down the Furnace Creek Ranch. There is plenty of back country camping for capable rigs. I have worked at DV for last 16yrs, if you don’t wanna take my word go to the NPS website. It says roads and trails are open and list most of the backcountry camping 4x4 trails

Attachments