Family West Coast Trip

• HTML tutorial

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I've recently upgraded my JK in hopes of taking my family of 3 on some overlanding adventures. I have a son with special needs so we cant get too aggressive in our terrain tackling, but he loves it (as do I). I'm taking off 7/14-8/14 and shipping my Jeep to SFO for a work mtg then picking it up and headed west towards Yosemite, L.Tahoe (Lake alpine area), then back over to the coast (maulaula campground, then north on Hwy1). Will need to end up in Portland to fly back and ship the Jeep back (Nashville is home). Would love any recs from this group on ideas, places, must-dos, etc. I've learned a lot just reading the threads and hope we are able to make some new OB friends along the way! Thanks in advance for any tips.

Attachments

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

I've recently upgraded my JK in hopes of taking my family of 3 on some overlanding adventures. I have a son with special needs so we cant get too aggressive in our terrain tackling, but he loves it (as do I). I'm taking off 7/14-8/14 and shipping my Jeep to SFO for a work mtg then picking it up and headed west towards Yosemite, L.Tahoe (Lake alpine area), then back over to the coast (maulaula campground, then north on Hwy1). Will need to end up in Portland to fly back and ship the Jeep back (Nashville is home). Would love any recs from this group on ideas, places, must-dos, etc. I've learned a lot just reading the threads and hope we are able to make some new OB friends along the way! Thanks in advance for any tips.

Lake Tahoe and Lake Alpine are a long ways apart driving. If you end up at the Lake Alpine area (CA Hwy. 4), there is a trail that is a few hours long and fairly easy that you could do it with your family, son included. It is Corral Hollow. There are many camp grounds or hotels in Bear Valley and Arnold.

I am up in that area most weekend and could run the trail and show you some areas in that vicinity.

If you're in Yosemite, for some real adventure, head out the back on 120 and visit Mono Lake and Bodie State Park. Stay in Bridgeport then head to Markleeville and the hot springs, then from head head over Ebbetts Pass to Lake Alpine.

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Lake Tahoe and Lake Alpine are a long ways apart driving. If you end up at the Lake Alpine area (CA Hwy. 4), there is a trail that is a few hours long and fairly easy that you could do it with your family, son included. It is Corral Hollow. There are many camp grounds or hotels in Bear Valley and Arnold.

I am up in that area most weekend and could run the trail and show you some areas in that vicinity.

If you're in Yosemite, for some real adventure, head out the back on 120 and visit Mono Lake and Bodie State Park. Stay in Bridgeport then head to Markleeville and the hot springs, then from head head over Ebbetts Pass to Lake Alpine.
This is great stuff. let me review the route options and get back to you. first look, looks awesome. can we do backcountry camping on the Mono Lake to Alpine route? i had hoped to camp out on the lake alpine area/route (corral hollow trail looks like a great spot per the video michael posted too) many thx guys!

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

I'm sure there are spots out there.

Also, if you go to Alpine, from there head West on 4 to Angel's Camp and go North on 49. This is Gold Country, lots of small towns and you will come across Sutter's Mill in Colma, where gold was discovered in 1849, from there, continue to 50 and head East to South Lake Tahoe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

is that Gaulaula ? I've never heard of maulaula

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

This is great stuff. let me review the route options and get back to you. first look, looks awesome. can we do back country camping on the Mono Lake to Alpine route? i had hoped to camp out on the lake alpine area/route (corral hollow trail looks like a great spot per the video michael posted too) many thx guys!
The Mono Lake to Bridgeport, CA area is one of my favorite areas on highway 395. There is a ton of back country camping there and you don't have to go far off the road either to find it. Check out the Dunderberg Peak area for some good off the grid camping. Take the Virginia Lakes Rd west off of US 395 right at the top of the pass between Bridgeport and Mono Lake, then take Dunderberg Meadow Road north off of Virginia Lakes Rd. The main road is a graded fire access road that then runs parallel to highway 395. There is a lot of primitive camping back in there of many of the small roads that shoot of the main Dunderberg Meadow Road. Nice camp spots with aspen groves and great views of the valley below. Just a gorgeous area especially when it hits Spring and fall.

Then to get back to US 395 just get back on Dunderberg Meadow road and follow it north until it eventually comes back into and meets up with the highway just south of Bridgeport.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

The Mono Lake to Bridgeport, CA area is one of my favorite areas on highway 395. There is a ton of back country camping there and you don't have to go far off the road either to find it. Check out the Dunderberg Peak area for some good off the grid camping. Take the Virginia Lakes Rd west off of US 395 right at the top of the pass between Bridgeport and Mono Lake, then take Dunderberg Meadow Road north off of Virginia Lakes Rd. The main road is a graded fire access road that then runs parallel to highway 395. There is a lot of primitive camping back in there of many of the small roads that shoot of the main Dunderberg Meadow Road. Nice camp spots with aspen groves and great views of the valley below. Just a gorgeous area especially when it hits Spring and fall.

Then to get back to US 395 just get back on Dunderberg Meadow road and follow it north until it eventually comes back into and meets up with the highway just south of Bridgeport.
awesome. this is good stuff. i'll review tonight/tmrw and get back to you. thx!!

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Also, if you go to Alpine, from there head West on 4 to Angel's Camp and go North on 49. This is Gold Country, lots of small towns and you will come across Sutter's Mill in Colma, where gold was discovered in 1849, from there, continue to 50 and head East to South Lake Tahoe.

perfect. i'll review this tonight also. many many thx for this intel/advice!

Reactions: Tahoe

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

All the info on Mono lake and the backcrounty (and Passes) are awesome. Trying to plan the right route now...i'll post to this group later in the weekend to let you guys know. amazing views/info from what i've seen online...

Reactions: rochmpr

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Also, the best part about the Eastern Sierra's along 395 are the natural hot springs. There are several in the Bridgeport area. Look into Travertine Hop Springs and Buckeye Hot Springs. These are free and easily accessible.

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

I wish I could go with this weekend. I have a previous engagement near Fort Brag. If anyone is going to be around there this weekend, look me up. I'll keep my CB on channel 16 and we'll be at the Vandamme State Park.

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

think 4 will be open 2nd week of July?

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

i'm definitely trying to incorporate this route. any thoughts/news on if the roads are open/closed. we hope to get Corral Hollow in...my son loves the video Michael posted. Looks fun.

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Hwy. 4 is still closed at the East side of Lake Alpine over the pass. Cal Trans is stating sometime in July to open. There is some heavy road work and repairs happening. As of a few weeks ago, Corral Hollow was still not accessible, hopefully, with the hig heat, it may open soon. I will be up there over the July 4 weekend, so I can update as to the access then.

Here is a picture of Hwy . 4 from last week. For reference, search Cal Trans District 10, as they are the ones doing the work.

19221603_1298540143532495_8988798236355680981_o.jpg

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Planning on heading up to check out Corral Hollow as well this weekend with Boss324. If it is still closed, do and of you have any recommendations on alternate trails in the area to check out? I've been up that way before but was following someone who knew the area and was more concerned with seeing the sights.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

All the info on Mono lake and the backcrounty (and Passes) are awesome. Trying to plan the right route now...i'll post to this group later in the weekend to let you guys know. amazing views/info from what i've seen online...
Was just at Mono Lake and Bodie for Father's Day weekend. The rock formations, called Tufa, along the shore at Mono are surreal and very cool to see. Bodie was very cool to see and checking out all the different buildings in their different states of disrepair. You are only allowed in a few buildings now as the last snowfall did a lot of damage to the integrity of the buildings.

We did a little side trip up to Lundy Lake and hiked up to the falls. Well worth it.

We tried to head up to Masonic from Bodie but had to turn back after the going through the 3rd snow drift. There were 3 more in a row that I'm sure we could have eventually dug through, but it was getting late in the day and we were only about 2 miles north of Bodie. There isn't a lot of snow but the ones blocking the road are significant.

Last edited:

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Planning on heading up to check out Corral Hollow as well this weekend with Boss324. If it is still closed, do and of you have any recommendations on alternate trails in the area to check out? I've been up that way before but was following someone who knew the area and was more concerned with seeing the sights.
Look up Black Springs OHV, it's a little lower down Hwy 4, still above Arnold. Also look into Sourgrass Day use, there is a trail there and camping. It's off Boards Crossing Rd. If you're in that area, be sure to stop and the Lube Room and fill up on burgers and beers.

Reactions: Jelorian