nateh

Rank III

Advocate I

Pocatello, ID
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Headed to Fairbanks this summer - first time to Alaska! I'm on a budget (found RT from SLC for $118!) so I'm trying to keep costs down. Doesn't seem like the cheapest place in the world. Apparently there are no rental cars available either!?? I'd love to just rent a campervan or something like an overlanding vehicle instead of a car + hotels. Anyone have any tips for doing this? Would love some local insight on how to make this fun and affordable. Too bad I can't just bring my Land Rover up with me...

Reactions: Zombie response

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Alaska is expensive. My son was working up there and he told me prices that were hard to believe.

But he was making good money.

Guess everything is relative...

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Headed to Fairbanks this summer - first time to Alaska! I'm on a budget (found RT from SLC for $118!) so I'm trying to keep costs down. Doesn't seem like the cheapest place in the world. Apparently there are no rental cars available either!?? I'd love to just rent a campervan or something like an overlanding vehicle instead of a car + hotels. Anyone have any tips for doing this? Would love some local insight on how to make this fun and affordable. Too bad I can't just bring my Land Rover up with me...
@nateh

For the rental car situation. Before the virus I was planning a trip to Fairbanks myself found that renting a full size pickup was generally more available and lower cost than renting a car. For the time of my planned trip a 13 day pickup rental was $650+ insurance. Note they could not promise that we'd get 4 wheel drive but offered to try. I think I had mine booked through either Budget or Enterprise.

If you are not opposed to airB&B / VBRO I can say that Jon treated us well when we had to cancel our trip. His place is a 90 miles South of town and was to make a great base camp for our trip. The property info in case you are interested: EXCLUSIVE AND BEST AURORA/WILDLIFE VIEWING AND FISHING IN ALASKA! - Deltana

There are also places in Fairbanks where you can rent outdoor equipment so you don't need to fly as much up. We had some stuff reserved at alaskaoutdoorgearrental.com. though I understand that for summer gear it may be less expensive to hit the Malwart then donate what ever you don't take back to a local thrift before heading home.

Boort

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

nateh

Rank III

Advocate I

Pocatello, ID
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Thanks everyone! I check almost every day and there are literally zero available cars/trucks/vans/etc. Zero RVs available on Outdoorsy. I think I may have to go the Uhaul route....

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I know this is an older thread. But, when we landed in Anchorage on Saturday, our car rental company had a sign noting they were sold out. Also, they would not let us keep the car any longer than our original reservation- subject to a $500 per day fine! As a side note, I have seen plenty of parked u-hauls, though that doesn’t mean anything.

I’m also curious how the OP made out.

Reactions: Overland_TRD

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Unfortunately the only thing I’ve found at a reasonable price is a Uhaul box truck that we’re going to have as our “RV” for the weekend! $20/day and $1/mile. Let’s hope it works!
$1 per mile

THAT is going to turn into a massive number