Contributor I

Whetstone, Huachuca City, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Harker
Member #

Hi All,
m hoping someone can help me with this. A while back I bought a 2000 ford ambulance, it sits on a F350 chaise, 7.3 Turbo diesel, 4X4, and an automatic. I have turned this in to a camper and my tow rig for my Jeep WK. I have driven all over AZ, NM CO, And UT to get to that farthest out backing spots I can fined. After the last time I was hung up with the receiver buried in the ground and the rear end off the ground, I think it's time for a lift. I've gotten real good at self recovery with my jeep. My question is this I see lots of lifts out their for a F350 truck, Mine weighs in at 11500 lbs. when out and about. I have talked to some off road supply centers about
recommendations, but all are unsure of the weight issue.

1569936952729[1].jpg

TXJeep

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dallas
First Name
James
Last Name
C
You sure you want to lift something that heavy?

Lift blocks in the back should get it done regardless of weight and Im assuming coil spacers in the front.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I would contact National Spring. If they don't have the answers you need they should at least know where to go next in order to get the answers.

The offroad shops are generally in the business of installing parts you can find in a catalog, particularly a catalog they already have. They rely on the manufacturers to do their thinking for them for the sort of question you are asking. You need to find someone who deals with the design questions rather than the application (i.e. what parts fit what vehicle) questions.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
BTW, have you considered airbags?

With airbags you could maintain your current height, but add some extra height when needed. In fact, done right, you could control each airbag individually from the driver's seat.

Just another approach to consider.

Reactions: grubworm

pacrat

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
David
Last Name
Harker
Member #

I have thought about Air bags and have been looking at them closely. Right now with the stock suspension it all rides level and smooth as a caddy. I either need a lift or to stop thinking it should go every where my jeep does. I even thought about just going from 235X16 to a 285, that would not give much but a little. and maybe fuel mileage would improve a bit. It is leaf springs all around with a 3" lift block from the factory in the rear. I don't like the idea of going to high on blocks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have thought about Air bags and have been looking at them closely. Right now with the stock suspension it all rides level and smooth as a caddy. I either need a lift or to stop thinking it should go every where my jeep does. I even thought about just going from 235X16 to a 285, that would not give much but a little. and maybe fuel mileage would improve a bit. It is leaf springs all around with a 3" lift block from the factory in the rear. I don't like the idea of going to high on blocks.
I have lifted 2 of these for customers. And lifting them isn’t easy... normal lift kits don’t work... the frame is different on an ambulance. So you have to find a manufacturer who makes them for an ambulance. Second part of the equation is Ford didn’t build the ambulance, another company did and supplied Ford with the information needed to build that truck chassis. So first you need to find out who built the ambulance, then find the kit... now with that, The first ambulance I lifted was for our Fire Department. They needed a 4x4 ambulance to get into the rugged terrain behind the outlying towns. The fire department ordered the kit (dont t know the brand or where it came from). The second one I lifted we had to break up three or four complete suspension kits from just as many manufacturers to get something that worked. The first ambulance is still in service, the second one is used as you use yours, and he went back to Firestone Airbaigs because he found the rig was too big for what he was wanting to do. He still uses the ambulance as a Jeep. We even converted it to 4 wheel drive for him. So my point is, make sure if you’re going to spend the money lifting it, that you are 100% certain that is the direction you want to go.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The 285 width is not likely to help your mileage. The extra height might be better for freeway mileage, but the width means more resistance. if you need the height to get the gearing where you want it (and I understand that--same picture with my Cummins dually) then look into a higher profile tire. See if you can go from a 235/75R16 to a 235/85R16. The taller sidewalls will get you the effectively higher gearing without so much extra resistance.

pacrat

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
David
Last Name
Harker
Member #

Thank you all for the suggestions, Gave me lots of other avenues to look at. The company that built the ambulance is wheeled coach, They have been great helping with wiring diagrams and coach specific parts . I never thought about asking them about lift options.
looking hard at air back. I had air bags in my old ford F350 pickup with the cab over camper.