Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

So im pushing a Jeep right now but want to get a truck as a work and overland rig.

Im a big Ford guy (i know, i know lol)

Wanted some opinions on using an F150 as a overland rig. I see a lot of Raptors but has anyone ever used or seen a simple 4x4 F150/250 XLT, King Ranch or anything as such out on the trails?
Ive looked at Gladiators and Tacomas but im not a small guy and like the comfort and room of the interior of a full size truck and towing capabilities (boat and such)

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I love my '19 3.5 eco crew cab fx4. It has done just fine off road for me so far, even in stock form. Haven't taken it on any super tight trails, which i think would be the only downside. Everything else is great. Locking diff works as expected, 4 wheel drive works, etc.

We are a family of 3 now and 2 dogs. I don't know how we would get by in a smaller vehicle anymore...

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

I love my '19 3.5 eco crew cab fx4. It has done just fine off road for me so far, even in stock form. Haven't taken it on any super tight trails, which i think would be the only downside. Everything else is great. Locking diff works as expected, 4 wheel drive works, etc.

We are a family of 3 now and 2 dogs. I don't know how we would get by in a smaller vehicle anymore...
yea im thinking of the expansion too. i figured it definitely probably would get some nice pinstripe on a tight trail but i can live with that lol.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
yea im thinking of the expansion too. i figured it definitely probably would get some nice pinstripe on a tight trail but i can live with that lol.
Thats my only fear, although i have escaped a lot of that with my previous full size as well. Definitely considering a wrap in the future. That would fix that problem entirely.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
To your original question? 150 versus 250 - hands down I would not even consider a 150 for a multitude of reasons. I’d go with the 250 for a lot of reasons, but primarily for two major things; the 250 has a solid front axle; the 250 has a nice heavy payload. I’m just not blowing smoke either. I’ve owned the following years in order; 64, 72, 64, 60, 72, 86 and an 89. The two very best ones were the 60’ ( solid front axle ) and the 89’ which was a 250. I wish I had kept both of them. You’ll never regret a heavier duty pickup, you will regret a light duty pickup.

Reactions: OverlandDeparture

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I have a 150 and love it. Does a lot. Definitley get the FX4 package for the E-Locker in the newer models. I like the 250 or larger but the years i could afford had horrible motors in them. The honest only downside is the width would limit you on some trails. Other than that, i don't see any issues.

Reactions: OverlandDeparture

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

To your original question? 150 versus 250 - hands down I would not even consider a 150 for a multitude of reasons. I’d go with the 250 for a lot of reasons, but primarily for two major things; the 250 has a solid front axle; the 250 has a nice heavy payload. I’m just not blowing smoke either. I’ve owned the following years in order; 64, 72, 64, 60, 72, 86 and an 89. The two very best ones were the 60’ ( solid front axle ) and the 89’ which was a 250. I wish I had kept both of them. You’ll never regret a heavier duty pickup, you will regret a light duty pickup.
thats some pretty good info. yea i was looking at a 250. I was even considering diesel instead of gas as well but not 100% sure yet. Id imagine each would have the pros and cons, just like a 150 v 250.

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

I have a 150 and love it. Does a lot. Definitley get the FX4 package for the E-Locker in the newer models. I like the 250 or larger but the years i could afford had horrible motors in them. The honest only downside is the width would limit you on some trails. Other than that, i don't see any issues.
if i may ask, what year is your f150? im currently looking at a 16 F150 King Ranch.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
thats some pretty good info. yea i was looking at a 250. I was even considering diesel instead of gas as well but not 100% sure yet. Id imagine each would have the pros and cons, just like a 150 v 250.
Depends on what years. New modern gas engines versus modern diesel? I’ll pick gas as gas prices around here are generally 50cents a gallon lower, also the new power stroke diesels are junk and require a lot of maintenance compared to gassers. Old trucks, pre 2003 with the 7.3 International power stroke motor is the way to go. Those motors are bullet proof.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I agree with @MOAK that I'd pick a F250 over a F150 if buying with Overlanding in mind. The solid axle and weight capacity make it worth it. That said when looking at F250s do not, whatever you do, I repeat: DO NOT but a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 Power Stroke Diesel (PSD). No matter what somebody tells you about their 6.0 PSD with 500k miles and zero issues... no matter how much it's been "bulletproofed" do NOT do it. Of course, for DD life a F150 will generally be better suited, and still can Overland just fine as long as your load-out isn't too heavy, and you're not looking for big articulation where the 250+ solid front axle shines.

-TJ

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I agree with @MOAK that I'd pick a F250 over a F150 if buying with Overlanding in mind. The solid axle and weight capacity make it worth it. That said do not, whatever you do, I repeat DO NOT but a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 Power Stroke Diesel (PSD)... no matter what somebody tells you... no matter how much it's been "bulletproofed" do NOT do it. That said, for DD life a F150 will generally be better suited, and still can Overland just fine as long as your load-out isn't too heavy, and you're not looking for big articulation where the 250+ solid front axle shines.

-TJ
Yes, we are considering, well, I am considering, that when I get to be too old and feeble to pitch our tent and set up camp, it may be time for an older f-250 with the old reliable power stroke diesel, think pre 2000. Put a flatbed on it with some sort of 4 season 4x4 camper upon it. Then again, by that time an electric vehicle may be the way to go if they ever get the range thing better than it is. One can carry extra fuel to extend range, its pretty hard to carry extra electric. Here's what I'm talkin about. gimme this with a bullet proof 3 sp with creeper manual and I'd be a very happy camper. Almost, I say, almost as good as my FZJ80 series

images.jpg of course this is too old to have a diesel, im thinking more like early 90s

Reactions: Billiebob

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Yes, we are considering, well, I am considering, that when I get to be too old and feeble to pitch our tent and set up camp, it may be time for an older f-250 with the old reliable power stroke diesel, think pre 2000. Put a flatbed on it with some sort of 4 season 4x4 camper upon it. Then again, by that time an electric vehicle may be the way to go if they ever get the range thing better than it is. One can carry extra fuel to extend range, its pretty hard to carry extra electric. Here's what I'm talkin about. gimme this with a bullet proof 3 sp with creeper manual and I'd be a very happy camper. Almost, I say, almost as good as my FZJ80 series

View attachment 165042 of course this is too old to have a diesel, im thinking more like early 90s
I love a good dentside! But yeah, if you want the decent diesel, you want the 7.3 PSD that went '94.5-early '03. Later '03s went 6.0... all bad. Otherwise, if you get a '11 or newer PSD it's the 6.7 that is actually pretty reliable, especially after the first couple model years.

-TJ

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yep, I'm wrapping if I stick with this hobby. Would be nice to wrap the camper to match.

Go F250. Better front axle. Far better lift kits if you need larger tires. I don't recommend lifting the 150. If the firmer ride bothers you, buy better shocks and then go to the gym.

I recommend new, and gas. Get 4.30's if you can. 3.73 is fine if you're going to regear to 4.88+, and add a front locker. Absolutely get the skid plates and FX4 E locker.

Last edited:

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Thats my only fear, although i have escaped a lot of that with my previous full size as well. Definitely considering a wrap in the future. That would fix that problem entirely.
Not going to give fix the issue of driving through 3 feet of water or go around it when you have to fit between two tight trees. If your going to go fullsize I would go excursion with a 7.3.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Can't be serious... !50 over 250?? Sorry not gong to spend my time rading trough all this... 250 any day of the week! Sspension, oh can we go on for capability... Please, seriously, you're debating 150 over 250? I get 250 over 350... Will not buy anther, what ever year, less than a 250!

Now n that note.. if you have a E259 (or E#%) of low milage and don't believe it's worth a crap... I'm interested. Throw in it's AWD and I may just pay a few cents for it.

If you can, and the deal is right, 250 is the way to good.