Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

I use the android app called Bluetooth GPS. Pair them, enable mock GPS in developer options then connect using the app.

And this has worked on a Pixel 2xl, Pixel 3xl, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet (from 2011?), Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab S4. All but the Note are newer devices.

dano4322

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Oancea
Member #

I use the android app called Bluetooth GPS. Pair them, enable mock GPS in developer options then connect using the app.

Unfortunately, this app isnt working with my device, and hasn't been updated since october 2015. It doesn't work for me now and i can't trust that this app will work later. Iwas hoping the GPS mocking wouldn't be necessary, as it doesn't appear to be a requirement for ios devices.
Thank you for the help, but this is not a workable solution for me.

tw1st3d5

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

Unfortunately, this app isnt working with my device, and hasn't been updated since october 2015. It doesn't work for me now and i can't trust that this app will work later. Iwas hoping the GPS mocking wouldn't be necessary, as it doesn't appear to be a requirement for ios devices.
Thank you for the help, but this is not a workable solution for me.
What device are you using?

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Oh yes. I was thinking you wanted to just use garmin mapping. Whar android tablet are you using. You just have to enter developer options and activate mock locations services. That is all I had to do with my Samsung to work with my bt95.

SOLVEFUNCTION

Rank V

Steward II

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Lim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ETO
I have a dual GPS device worked well with my iPad, I ended up buying a cheap android tablet to run Aprs, and simplify the set up. If anyone want to buy the dual let me know.

Cdwyer

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Lebanon, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Dwyer
Member #

This may be a dumb question but I need some help. I have an iPhone and as soon as I loose cell service I loose my mapping capabilities. GPS & cellular are different. Why do I loose my GPS functionality?

LEXIRNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
I believe the GPS radio and cellular radio are embedded together but I’ve never had mine lose GPS like that. Mine keeps GPS even in airplane mode

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Meanwhile, to connect iPad to Dual XGPS160 the steps are;
Step 1. turn on Dual GPS
Step 2. turn on iPad
Step 3. there is no step 3

Keep trying guys, you’ll eventually get it.
Meanwhile, to use GPS in my Jeep.

step 1....Turn on Samsung tablet we paid 200 bucks for brand new....
step 2....there is none. Ha ha!

I bought the GPS unit for my previous tablet to keep battery life longer if needed. Redundancy. That being said, it works awesome with my dell 2 in 1 if I want gps on that.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I didnt realize the inReach can be used as an external GPS receiver. I have a Spot tracker but I have been looking into switching to something different. I will have to check that out too. I use a lot of Garmin products and they have always worked well for me.
I did not know that this is possible with an inRreach. And if so, does it really improve the accurateness of the position so much? I mean, it is also installed within the rig. Do you have some information about the SPOT? Is it possible to use it as external GPS source? MAybe the SPOT Trace?

Thanks, Bjoern

LEXIRNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
I didnt realize the inReach can be used as an external GPS receiver. I have a Spot tracker but I have been looking into switching to something different. I will have to check that out too. I use a lot of Garmin products and they have always worked well for me.
I did not know that this is possible with an inRreach. And if so, does it really improve the accurateness of the position so much? I mean, it is also installed within the rig. Do you have some information about the SPOT? Is it possible to use it as external GPS source? MAybe the SPOT Trace?

Thanks, Bjoern
I don’t have an inReach but I did end up with the Garmin Glo. I have a regular Spot Gen3 and it definitely does not work as an external GPS. As far as accuracy I am blown away by the Garmin Glo. I too use a Samsung tablet and it was fine but the Glo is way better. I would get up to 300 ft off the track with the built in GPS. The faster refresh cycle makes a huge difference. I also like that I can have both my map and APRS tablet connected at the same time

Reactions: El-Dracho

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I don’t have an inReach but I did end up with the Garmin Glo. I have a regular Spot Gen3 and it definitely does not work as an external GPS. As far as accuracy I am blown away by the Garmin Glo. I too use a Samsung tablet and it was fine but the Glo is way better. I would get up to 300 ft off the track with the built in GPS. The faster refresh cycle makes a huge difference. I also like that I can have both my map and APRS tablet connected at the same time
Does it have a compass sensor built in too? and does it work with the tablet? That is one thing I miss with my samsung. My LePan tablet has the compass chip.

LEXIRNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
Does it have a compass sensor built in too? and does it work with the tablet? That is one thing I miss with my samsung. My LePan tablet has the compass chip.
It doesn’t have a compass but gives current heading based on the GPS track while moving.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I use the Mad Elf GPS with my ipad. Works great.

It was recommended by someone at Gaia (great customer service, btw!) after they helped me troubleshoot why my Garmin GPSMap65 bluetooth wasn't connecting to the ipad.
Turns out the bluetooth function on the gpsmap 65 doesn't do that.

Side note; not a fan of Garmin. After experiencing consistent distance inaccuracies with the gpsmap, I called Garmin customer service. After being on hold for almost an hour, I described the issue and mentioned I had been on a bicycle. Their answer: the unit is designed for walking, not biking. Really?!
Upon further scouring of the interwebz and various forums, I found I'm not the only one having that issue. Apparently that unit is too sensitive to the satellites (or something like that) and will register distance sitting stationary.
All the other functions seem to work OK. I keep it around for a back-up, but know not to trust it for any distance logging. $350+ bad purchase. Won't buy another Garmin devise if I can help it.

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
I use the Mad Elf GPS with my ipad. Works great.

It was recommended by someone at Gaia (great customer service, btw!) after they helped me troubleshoot why my Garmin GPSMap65 bluetooth wasn't connecting to the ipad.
Turns out the bluetooth function on the gpsmap 65 doesn't do that.

Side note; not a fan of Garmin. After experiencing consistent distance inaccuracies with the gpsmap, I called Garmin customer service. After being on hold for almost an hour, I described the issue and mentioned I had been on a bicycle. Their answer: the unit is designed for walking, not biking. Really?!
Upon further scouring of the interwebz and various forums, I found I'm not the only one having that issue. Apparently that unit is too sensitive to the satellites (or something like that) and will register distance sitting stationary.
All the other functions seem to work OK. I keep it around for a back-up, but know not to trust it for any distance logging. $350+ bad purchase. Won't buy another Garmin devise if I can help it.
Do you use the GPS PRO or GPS for Lightning? What’s your experience using it with GAIA app?

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Do you use the GPS PRO or GPS for Lightning? What’s your experience using it with GAIA app?
I have the GPS Pro. It's worked like a champ with Gaia.
A minor issue that probably happens with all external gps' is if it's not hanging or laying in the proper orientation, the arrow curser on mapping app won't be pointed in your direction of travel.

Whoosh

Rank 0

Traveler I

Netherlands
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Vollebregt
I'm just now getting my nav setup together as well. I've seen videos of people using an inReach with Gaia GPS on an iPad, but I'm interested in keeping it Android as well. Anybody know of anywhere to find a good tutorial on how to set up Garmin + Android Tablet + Gaia GPS? Everything I've seen requires an app to mock your GPS signal to the device, and the free app everyone recommends doesn't work with newer stuff. It hasn't been updated since 2015.
In my experience (please see my recent post in another thread in this forum) the Android Samsung Galaxy Tab A works just fine, also positionwise, just using it's inbuilt GPS.
BUT.
My car has a conventional front window, without sunblock. That is: without any metallic coating that so notoriously blocks radio signals. This might very well explain the bad experiences a lot of users encounter. Please remember this when positioning your additional GPS receiver.