Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
Has anybody used an external GPS device for either Android or iPhone/iPad? I use an Android tablet with Gaia for navigation and find the GPS track to be inaccurate. I know the device mounted to the dash and in tree cover isn't ideal but was curious if anyone had any experience with an external receiver being a bit more accurate.

LEXIRNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
Thank you for the replies! I will definitely look into both of those. That’s exactly what I was looking for

tw1st3d5

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

@LEXIRNR I've used the XGPS150A Multipurpose Universal Bluetooth GPS - its worked really well for both my iPhones and iPads. A benefit is it can be used in rig via USB, or charged and carried on a hike.

Same thing with the Garmin. My only complaint with the Garmin is the lack of battery status so you don't know the charge state. However, I just leave it plugged in all the time and if I go on a hike I just grab it and go.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

It is pricier by maybe consider the Garmin Inreach Mini?

Connects via bluetooth and you have the added ability to signal for help or keep in contact with the outside world through text, although subscription is required.

If you don't have a PLB, this would be a good option.

ZR2Overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lubbock, TX
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
-
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5IZT
@LEXIRNR I've used the XGPS150A Multipurpose Universal Bluetooth GPS - its worked really well for both my iPhones and iPads. A benefit is it can be used in rig via USB, or charged and carried on a hike.

This is also what I use for my android tablet. It has been very accurate and it can be used for both android and apple devices. Got mine used on Ebay for like $45.

LEXIRNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
It is pricier by maybe consider the Garmin Inreach Mini?

Connects via bluetooth and you have the added ability to signal for help or keep in contact with the outside world through text, although subscription is required.

If you don't have a PLB, this would be a good option.
I didnt realize the inReach can be used as an external GPS receiver. I have a Spot tracker but I have been looking into switching to something different. I will have to check that out too. I use a lot of Garmin products and they have always worked well for me.

DaveWheeler

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Medford, NJ, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2YQ
Within the past few months, I bought the garmin glo2 thinking “Two devices is twice what I’ll ever need.”

I can say that the Glo2 does not play well with an iPhone 11 and an iPad mini at the same time. Both disconnect for no apparent reason. I did test the glo2 with two iPads, and it seemed to work fine. I’m not sure if it’s because the iPads are Wi-Fi only, or what, but I figured it’d be nice to have the more accurate data on my iPhone too. Except - I haven’t yet been able to get the altitude to read what it should be.

My son bought the Dual Xgps160, and he says he hasn’t had the issues I’ve had with the garmin. Which is too bad, because I like the more subtle appearance of the garmin.

I don’t really need to feed multiple devices with the garmin, so I’ll stick with it for now.

For what it’s worth, my son has a garmin inreach mini, and he said it doesn’t support Gaia, only the garmin app. I can’t confirm because I haven’t tried.

Reactions: LEXIRNR

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Or another way to say it most Garmin products suck, are horribly engineered and designed to work in the Garmin only ecosystem so they can fleece you over and over.
No, apple products. Garmin is an awesome company, I use lots of their products. Apple don't let anyone play nice with their products. My garmin vivo active works with my iPhone, but you have to keep the app running in the background or it won't work. However, with Android, it....to take a page from apples marketing....just works. My apple watch works with my iPhone pretty well perfect. But misses alot of notifications that my garmin actually picks up.

dano4322

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Oancea
Member #

I'm just now getting my nav setup together as well. I've seen videos of people using an inReach with Gaia GPS on an iPad, but I'm interested in keeping it Android as well. Anybody know of anywhere to find a good tutorial on how to set up Garmin + Android Tablet + Gaia GPS? Everything I've seen requires an app to mock your GPS signal to the device, and the free app everyone recommends doesn't work with newer stuff. It hasn't been updated since 2015.

Reactions: SandBadgerFG5

dano4322

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Oancea
Member #

I have a Garmin GLO 2 that I use with my Android tablet and Gaia. It's worked really well mounted on the dash near the base of the windshield. Last time I had it out was in the dense pine forest of East Texas and I never had an issue with accuracy.
What did you have to do to pair the GLO with the tablet and get Gaia to recognize the GPS from it rather than the built-in? I'm having a heck of a time getting this piece to work. Everything I see uses the mock GPS developer feature, and the recommended app doesn't work with my phone.

Reactions: M Rose

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I'm just now getting my nav setup together as well. I've seen videos of people using an inReach with Gaia GPS on an iPad, but I'm interested in keeping it Android as well. Anybody know of anywhere to find a good tutorial on how to set up Garmin + Android Tablet + Gaia GPS? Everything I've seen requires an app to mock your GPS signal to the device, and the free app everyone recommends doesn't work with newer stuff. It hasn't been updated since 2015.
The garmin inreach app should do that for you.

tw1st3d5

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

What did you have to do to pair the GLO with the tablet and get Gaia to recognize the GPS from it rather than the built-in? I'm having a heck of a time getting this piece to work. Everything I see uses the mock GPS developer feature, and the recommended app doesn't work with my phone.
I use the android app called Bluetooth GPS. Pair them, enable mock GPS in developer options then connect using the app.