Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lowe
Member #

Service Branch
Army
As I plan my build for my Gladiator, I was wondering if it is ok to have the fridge coolers in the bed of the truck. Planned on having it in the back right next to the outlet there. It looks like ARB sells an "Elements" fridge that is ok to be exposed, but I was wondering if a normal plastic one is ok with one of those covers on it or something? For the price of the Elements fridge one could get a two zone Dometic fridge. Are those covers to just protect it a bit and offer another layer of insulation when in the vehicle? Thanks in advance..

Edit: I should add that there will be a rack and roof top tent over the bed, so it will have some cover, just not complete isolation from the outside elements.

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

As I plan my build for my Gladiator, I was wondering if it is ok to have the fridge coolers in the bed of the truck. Planned on having it in the back right next to the outlet there. It looks like ARB sells an "Elements" fridge that is ok to be exposed, but I was wondering if a normal plastic one is ok with one of those covers on it or something? For the price of the Elements fridge one could get a two zone Dometic fridge. Are those covers to just protect it a bit and offer another layer of insulation when in the vehicle? Thanks in advance..

Edit: I should add that there will be a rack and roof top tent over the bed, so it will have some cover, just not complete isolation from the outside elements.
Yes. The covers are only for insulation. The ARB Elements fridge is the only one advertised as weather proof as far as I know. All the Dometics are going to need to be protected from the elements.

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
I have the cover on my 63qt ARB and according to others and myself, the blue cover is only good for dust.
It really will not provide any type of insulating effect at all.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I have the cover on my 63qt ARB and according to others and myself, the blue cover is only good for dust.
It really will not provide any type of insulating effect at all.
I did a test with my arb with and without the cover in my hot suv last summer. My Arkpak battery lasted about 6 hours longer with the cover on. Not a huge diff but there was a diff.

Reactions: Dr Gil

Pion

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lowe
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thanks - I'll just plan on getting the Elements cooler or developing a containment option to hold the cooler on a slide.