Mr. Buscuits

Rank 0

Traveler I

Provo Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Clifford
My family of 4 wants to get rid of a pop up camper, but doesn't want to get rid of camping. Due to having 2 kids in car seats, plus a dog, plus a JKU, we need a trailer for camping gear, and my back says no to sleeping on the ground.

I'm torn between a utility style trailer with a RTT and annex, and a square drop/tear drop with bunks for the kiddos.

I love the look of the trailer RTT combo, but I'm worried about set up time, and weather. The square drop seems cool, but I'm not positive it's big enough.

Does anyone have any experiences and/or strong feelings either way?

Obscure Medic

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Havelock, NC, USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Askew
Member #

My family of 4 wants to get rid of a pop up camper, but doesn't want to get rid of camping. Due to having 2 kids in car seats, plus a dog, plus a JKU, we need a trailer for camping gear, and my back says no to sleeping on the ground.

I'm torn between a utility style trailer with a RTT and annex, and a square drop/tear drop with bunks for the kiddos.

I love the look of the trailer RTT combo, but I'm worried about set up time, and weather. The square drop seems cool, but I'm not positive it's big enough.

Does anyone have any experiences and/or strong feelings either way?
I'll be interested in some opinions as well. Also a family of four. We are currently leaning towards a teardrop with a RTT on top. That way we have the ability to just take the RTT on the truck for smaller adventures or when I may be solo. I'll be keeping my eye on the thread.

Cheers!

Reactions: Mr. Buscuits

Mr. Buscuits

Rank 0

Traveler I

Provo Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Clifford
I'll be interested in some opinions as well. Also a family of four. We are currently leaning towards a teardrop with a RTT on top. That way we have the ability to just take the RTT on the truck for smaller adventures or when I may be solo. I'll be keeping my eye on the thread.

Cheers!
I think that's the best route, but my kids are both under 3, and the wife doesn't want to sleep seperate from them

Reactions: Obscure Medic

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've had pop ups, teardrops, and now a utility style trailer(made by Morris Mule trailers in Alabama). I keep my Tepui RTT and Foxwing on the trailer and generally use it for longer trips, and some overnighters as well. I love the simplicity of the trailer and RTT-no mechanicals, nothing to break.

It is just me - no wife, no kids, maybe the occasional woman who will put it with me:), so space isn't an issue. Set up with a trailer and RTT and awning is pretty easy stuff, but it takes a bit longer than those 3 minute Youtube video's make it out to be.

The best part of the trailer - set it up as your basecamp and you're still free to explore in your vehicle. Plus, the utility trailers are easy to tow(lightweight) and maneuver when offroad.

If I had a couple of kids I'd probably be leaning towards the teardrop and RTT as well. Even with a bigger RTT, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be sleeping 3-4 people.

Obscure Medic

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Havelock, NC, USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Askew
Member #

I think that's the best route, but my kids are both under 3, and the wife doesn't want to sleep seperate from them
I hear you. Currently our children are 9 months and 4 years. For sure the littlest would be sleeping with us if not I'll be kicked to the RTT. Lol. But we're looking into what would be most feasible in the long run. So we are not having to sell and buy something else down the road. We aren't pulling the trigger just yet. We are going to the Overland Expo East this year and are going to try to get a good feel and ideas while there.

Reactions: Mr. Buscuits

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You might look at the Intech Trailers. You can put a SUV tent off the back which gives you plenty of room.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

if you want something that will house the entire family, buy once, cry once. This trailer will last you until you get tired of it. The resale on these trailer are good. You should look at the entire picture when looking for a offroad trailer: functionality, reliability, & resale. Pop-Up Trailer for Tent-Campers | Turtleback Adventure Trailer

When I built my 1st offroad trailer it was only for the wife & I. I kept functionality, reliability & resale in mind. I didn't want to put something together (slap it together piece of junk) I wanted something I would be proud of & would catch the eyes of others, functionality was important for us, so we both could stock the trailer with all the gear we both enjoy & need "realistically" 2nd was reliability I put the best materials & didn't cut any corners in my build. I actually went over my build budget by 2,000.00, I have over $8,000.00 into it. I can take this trailer any where & not have an issue. It has served me & the wife well (were in our 60's & late 50's). Resale when build or buy a good offroad trailer the resale is their, you never get what you put into them or purchase but the resale is good. The buyers market for those who want a good offroad trailer will pay the money for a good reliable functional offroad trailer.

I current doing a new modification\build on a square drop trailer. My 1st trailer M Series w\RTT I will sell this. I have 3 people who are serious about this trailer (1st one) because they watch the build from the very beginning to the finish & know it's quality 100%. Same with the Turtleback trailers. We currently have no issue climbing up or down to or from the ladder RTT, but in time one of us will & I want to have another trailer ready for our adventures.

You have numerous options to choose from, RTT with awning & awning room on any ones quality trailer w\RTT rack, square drop trailer w\RTT. Take your time, don't rush cover every option available. Like mention buy once, cry once.

1st photo is my 1st trailer build which I'll be selling this 2019 winter
2nd photo is my current new build\modification on a square back which I'll have done before September of this year. Good luck in your search.
45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg017.JPG

Last edited:

Mr. Buscuits

Rank 0

Traveler I

Provo Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Clifford
if you want something that will house the entire family, buy once, cry once. This trailer will last you until you get tired of it. The resale on these trailer are good. You should look at the entire picture when looking for a offroad trailer: functionality, reliability, & resale. Pop-Up Trailer for Tent-Campers | Turtleback Adventure Trailer

When I built my 1st offroad trailer it was only for the wife & I. I kept functionality, reliability & resale in mind. I didn't want to put something together (slap it together piece of junk) I wanted something I would be proud of & would catch the eyes of others, functionality was important for us, so we both could stock the trailer with all the gear we both enjoy & need "realistically" 2nd was reliability I put the best materials & didn't cut any corners in my build. I actually went over my build budget by 2,000.00, I have over $8,000.00 into it. I can take this trailer any where & not have an issue. It has served me & the wife well (were in our 60's & late 50's). Resale when build or buy a good offroad trailer the resale is their, you never get what you put into them or purchase but the resale is good. The buyers market for those who want a good offroad trailer will pay the money for a good reliable functional offroad trailer.

I current doing a new modification\build on a square drop trailer. My 1st trailer M Series w\RTT I will sell this winter. I have 3 people who are serious about this trailer (1st one) because they watch the build from the very beginning to the finish & know it's quality 100%. Same with the Turtleback trailers. We currently have no issue climbing up or down to or from the ladder RTT, but in time one of us will & I want to have another trailer ready for our adventures.

You have numerous options to choose from, RTT with awning & awning room on any ones quality trailer w\RTT rack, square drop trailer w\RTT. Take your time, don't rush cover every option available. Like mention buy once, cry once.

1st photo is my 1st trailer build which I'll be selling this 2019 winter
2nd photo is my current new build\modification on a square back which I'll have done before September of this year. Good luck in your search.
View attachment 94987View attachment 94988
Thanks, that's great info, and i'll look into those. Your trailers look awesome, I wish I had the time and skills to DIY my own

Mr. Buscuits

Rank 0

Traveler I

Provo Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Clifford
Being a parent of 2 (18 & 14) the thought of being in either with 2 little ones makes me cringe so it's a toss up. I would end up with a hard side with a RTT. Wife and kiddos inside me on the roof! :grinning:
Oh, if it were up to me, I'd just sleep on my cot under the stars. We've been camping with my oldest since he was 3mo, and the youngest 2mo.

Reactions: bshinn

bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

Oh, if it were up to me, I'd just sleep on my cot under the stars. We've been camping with my oldest since he was 3mo, and the youngest 2mo.
The few times I went with the now ex-wife and young kids it was hell on earth. But then again, I don't think it would have been much better in a diesel pusher.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
For me, I'm starting a build soon on a hard sided trailer. Haven't decided on shape yet but, I saw one that folded down and set up like an "A" frame. I've had a trailer with an RTT for years. Out west, we can get a bit of wind. I've had a few trips it was so bad, I had to sleep in my vehicle. The RTT held up but the tent flapping was horrid. I would like something with a moderately low profile and the "A" frame design means I can change cloth's standing up.
I cant remember the name of the company who sells them but, they look pretty nice and their light.

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

Look into an Opus Off Road. It seems to be the perfect fit for your scenario and future when the littles become bigs. They even have an AIR option that damn near sets up by itself. Be aware...they are not cheap!!!