Mr. Buscuits

Rank 0

Traveler I

Provo Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Clifford
Look into an Opus Off Road. It seems to be the perfect fit for your scenario and future when the littles become bigs. They even have an AIR option that damn near sets up by itself. Be aware...they are not cheap!!!
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's way more "stuff" than we need. We decided on a Escapade Backcountry. A bit more rugged than what we have, but also a good replacement for a camper-camper

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Look at an old Boler, Trillium, .... tons of them out there, cheap and light weight... like 1200# empty.
All fiberglass and steel, I have never seen a rotten one and fabulous when the weather turns.

We eliminated the toilet... and put bunks at the front always ready for the kids to sleep, plus the convertible dinette for us.
Most of the gear/clothing we kept in the FourRunner.

That was 35 years ago.

a840e76b00edfc227418c2077f8ca596.jpg

aec591e0f66a81667e0a2d7c49d4ae6b.jpg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Never heard the term square driop but that is me with the OSB BOX. I'm retired so I just need a bed for me. With kids, and a JKU I'd look at a full on trailer. Setup is tiring at the end of the day but even worse of packing up to leave in the rain..... and thinking about tonite. My top choice would be an old Trillium ot Boler trailer. Put bunks for the kids across the bow, adults sleep in the convertible dinette.

Zero setup, all the benefits of an RTT, none of the negatives. Be the leader, not the sheep. My bet RTTs are history in 10 years except for a few advocates.

oh. and I already replied..... good to know I can carry a coherent thought for 24 hours.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Never heard the term square driop but that is me with the OSB BOX. I'm retired so I just need a bed for me. With kids, and a JKU I'd look at a full on trailer. Setup is tiring at the end of the day but even worse of packing up to leave in the rain..... and thinking about tonite. My top choice would be an old Trillium ot Boler trailer and throw out the toilet. Put bunks for the kids there across the bow, adults sleep in the convertible dinette.

Zero setup, all the benefits of an RTT, none of the negatives. Be the leader, not the sheep. My bet RTTs are history in 10 years except for a few advocates.

oh. and I already replied..... good to know I can carry a coherent thought for 24 hours.
So you say there are a tons of old Boler and Trillium trailers out there, where does one go about finding them? I did an Ebay search on both and not a single one showed up there for sale. I think those of us in the Southeast are at a disadvantage when it comes to Overland camping trailers, they just aren't a thing here. Mostly just RV's and big camper trailers not meant for off road by any means! I think my best bet will be to adapt my 5' x 8' utility trailer for off road camping by building my own RTT rack and putting a RTT on it.

I think you're wrong IMO when it comes to RTT and their popularity. 5 years ago I never saw one here in Florida where I live and now when I drive around town I see a few everyday. I think in 10 years they'll be even more popular as more of those in ground tents make the switch instead of going to a full camper option. RTT's fill a niche for those who love to camp but can't afford an a travel trailer or RV but want to improve on their sleeping arrangements by getting up off the ground. I hunt in an area where the bears are pretty thick, last thing I want is to have them crawl in a ground tent with me. Yes I know they can climb but gives me time to react and defend myself 5 - 6 feet off the ground! We also have pretty nasty snakes here that can squeeze through a pretty small opening. Pic below is from the area I'd be camping in and I have a lot of pictures of them including in the area that is my camp area and where I would have a tent setup.

Bears_0764.JPG

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I got my RTT almost 10 years ago. The company who made it went out of business 5 odd years ago. I have enjoyed it but there are a few drawbacks. When I would go to an event or a camp ground, I was the only one. People would come over and ask about it. When they heard how much they cost, people would back off and be happy with their tent. I like being off the ground and not having to look for a flat spot to pitch a tent.

Right now "Overlanding" has become a fad. Your not cool without an RTT or an Adventure Trailer. I'm amazed with the number of mall crawl "overlanding" rigs I see. In 10 years it will be a different fad. The people who were part of the fad will have moved on. The few of us remaining will still have our RTT's and Adventure Trailers. Will people still make gear for us? Of course. Before I had access to all this recent specialty gear, I just used my back pack gear and my camping gear.

Will they still be around in 10 years? Yes but, fewer companies, fewer people running around with one on top of the family truckster never to be used. People will look to us and say, wow I remember when everyone had one.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Right now "Overlanding" has become a fad. Your not cool without an RTT or an Adventure Trailer. I'm amazed with the number of mall crawl "overlanding" rigs I see. In 10 years it will be a different fad. The people who were part of the fad will have moved on. The few of us remaining will still have our RTT's and Adventure Trailers. Will people still make gear for us? Of course. Before I had access to all this recent specialty gear, I just used my back pack gear and my camping gear.
I can't wait for that day....... it can't come soon enough.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I'm not sure that will be the case but will be interesting to note in another 10 years. I think RTT will come down in price once the demand starts to dwindle so they will remain popular. For me the benefits are worth the price. I camp alone a lot since I hunt and getting off the ground and having a tent that just unfolds off a truck or trailer with a RTT rack is well worth it to me. If I would have known about RTT ten years ago I would have one by now. By summer's end I will have one and it will make my hunting trips this fall a lot better and allow me to stay in the woods longer. It's hard to be a successful hunter on 1 or 2 day hunts but spend a week in the woods and your success rate goes up considerably. I also take an annual 4 day trip to the Spring Reunion Music Festival at the Suwannee Music Park where a RTT would make things a lot more comfortable and make the setup a lot easier.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

100%

In the 1970s, tent trailers were the trend. I'm sure RTTs will be scarce too, as soon as the fabric/seams start to rot and people look for a more durable alternative.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So you say there are a tons of old Boler and Trillium trailers out there, where does one go about finding them?
Come to Canada. Bolers were built up here. Not sure about the others and I have no idea how to find them in Florida.
Just googled them. Bolers are built in Winnipeg, MN. Trilliums in Calgary, AB.
Boler had a 50th anniversary celebration last year. 420 trailers attended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1204

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
Never heard the term square driop but that is me with the OSB BOX. I'm retired so I just need a bed for me. With kids, and a JKU I'd look at a full on trailer. Setup is tiring at the end of the day but even worse of packing up to leave in the rain..... and thinking about tonite. My top choice would be an old Trillium ot Boler trailer. Put bunks for the kids across the bow, adults sleep in the convertible dinette.

Or a casitaIMG_0839.JPG

Reactions: Billiebob

Mr. Buscuits

Rank 0

Traveler I

Provo Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Clifford
Never heard the term square driop but that is me with the OSB BOX. I'm retired so I just need a bed for me. With kids, and a JKU I'd look at a full on trailer. Setup is tiring at the end of the day but even worse of packing up to leave in the rain..... and thinking about tonite. My top choice would be an old Trillium ot Boler trailer. Put bunks for the kids across the bow, adults sleep in the convertible

I looked at a Scamp briefly, similar design. But it really came down to I wanted something stone simple, with no "systems" of any kind. We camped out of a compact pickup for years pre-kids, so I have everything I need to cook/clean/hang out at camp. The Escapade fits in my garage if necessary, and will be easy to pack once, and then toss in a cooler and clothes.
Your suggestion is basically what I ordered, i just can't stand up inside :)

TheRegMan

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Morehead City, NC, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Payne
[QUOTEA="Mr. Buscuits, post: 324902, member: 38388"]
I think that's the best route, but my kids are both under 3, and the wife doesn't want to sleep seperate from them
[/QUOTE]
Take a look at the Colorado Teardrops Summit. It has 2 bunks inside. Sleeps 4 inside the trailer. When the kids get older, they can use the RTT.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I looked at a Scamp briefly, similar design. But it really came down to I wanted something stone simple, with no "systems" of any kind. We camped out of a compact pickup for years pre-kids, so I have everything I need to cook/clean/hang out at camp. The Escapade fits in my garage if necessary, and will be easy to pack once, and then toss in a cooler and clothes.
Your suggestion is basically what I ordered, i just can't stand up inside :)
So you have the Escapade? Love to see some pictures.
I've never seen the double bunk option but that is a fabulous family friendly design.
original.jpeg

Last edited: