Experience with Receiver Mounted Winches?

• HTML tutorial

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I looked at those years ago and opted out for a number of reasons, primarily storage/packing. Where do you keep the thing while going down the highway? I've also witnessed the receiver becoming a twisted mess, only once, years ago.. On the trail, I'd feel uneasy about all that overhang in the front or rear.. If ya bang a bumper, big deal, pound it out with a hammer, or use the dented stock bumper as an excuse to get a good steel bumper. If ya bang that winch? who,, a thousand or so right down the drain. It's just a whole lot better having that winch tucked in behind your bumper. And really,, where would you keep it in your vehicle on your way to camp? Sorry, I keep coming back to that storage/packing thing.. Good luck with your decision.

E

expeditionnorth

downside is possible twisting if not braced with additional supports

& you'll loose a bit on the approach angle

for me it was the only way to go

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Personally I don't see the point of a 10K receiver mount winch. It's like setting someone up for failure. A 6K would be much more logical.

Do you have a clas III, IV, or V receiver? Know the limitations. Understand that anything but a straight pull risks damage and MUCH more important injury.

In a bumper is really the only way to go IMO. The only downside is cost. But if you wheel where you need a winch then you'll be happy you spent it. For comparison I'd rather have a cheap winch mounted solid than that nice Warn on a stick.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
IMG_4009 2.JPG I wouldn't have it any other way. It stays on the front, but can move to the back. Very handy if you change your mind, after getting stuck, about which direction you want to go. Also, is great for narrow trails when the guy behind you needs some help. Mine plugs into power at both ends.

Reactions: Walter

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

The biggest downfall is the approach and the departure angle that is lost

Not to mention the hassle of trying to move it from the front to the rear when you need one, and even if you put a locking hitch pin in it it's nothing for somebody to bust that lock and steal your winch

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I would personally rather just run a large winch on the front and a smaller winch on the rear tucked in behind the bumper.

I have never run dual winches on a vehicle yet but I had do 2500 pound winches on my ATV you definitely will use a rear winch when available a lot more than you would think.

If I were set on using a receiver mounted winch id build one similar to yours only I would have the receiver mounted on top of the bumper so that the winch would set back as far as possible. I would definitely be building my own winch cradle versus buying one, that way it could be designed to be more functional.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
The biggest downfall is the approach and the departure angle that is lost

Not to mention the hassle of trying to move it from the front to the rear when you need one, and even if you put a locking hitch pin in it it's nothing for somebody to bust that lock and steal your winch
True that, but with my lift, bumper, tire combo, angle hasn't been a problem, yet :-) The locking pin is impossible to get to with any kind of cutting tool. Easier to steal the jeep. As far as "the hassle" of moving it from front to rear??? If you're in a situation where you need to winch backwards, the real hassle would be having a front bumper mounted winch.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

True that, but with my lift, bumper, tire combo, angle hasn't been a problem, yet :-) The locking pin is impossible to get to with any kind of cutting tool. Easier to steal the jeep. As far as "the hassle" of moving it from front to rear??? If you're in a situation where you need to winch backwards, the real hassle would be having a front bumper mounted winch.
Please see my previous post I believe we were typing at the same time

Your setup is a little different than your standard winch cradle and in most cases the pens are easily accessible and there's a lot more winch sticking past the bumper

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I would personally rather just run a large winch on the front and a smaller winch on the rear tucked in behind the bumper.

I have never run dual winches on a vehicle yet but I had do 2500 pound winches on my ATV you definitely will use a rear winch when available a lot more than you would think.

If I were set on using a receiver mounted winch id build one similar to yours only I would have the receiver mounted on top of the bumper so that the winch would set back as far as possible. I would definitely be building my own winch cradle versus buying one, that way it could be designed to be more functional.
Up and back would certainly give you more approach angle, but you would be blocking quite a bit of airflow to the radiator.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

And that's just more issues caused by trying to use a cradle and not kill your approach, and why I don't like them.

I prefer to cut stuff and tuck them as far back in as I can.

A couple guys could go back and forth forever on it. It's mostly all preference

Last edited: