Experience with air ambulance after travel injury?

• HTML tutorial

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
My mom broke her leg while vacationing in Switzerland. Anyone here know anything about using an air ambulance service to fly home so as to not deal with having to sit upright on a plane for 9 hours?
My parents are trying to figure out how best to get back home to Oregon while keeping her comfortable.
Thanks for tolerating the off topicness of this. Just thought there might be people here with some experience with this type of situation.
Thanks,
-Matt

Reactions: XC70_OVERLANDER

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
There are some Swiss based companies who can do that for you. Sometimes you can ask the commercial airline, explain the situation and they might upgrade your mum to business class. There she is able to have a nearly horizontal position.

XC70_OVERLANDER

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
There are some Swiss based companies who can do that for you. Sometimes you can ask the commercial airline, explain the situation and they might upgrade your mum to business class. There she is able to have a nearly horizontal position.

But I think calling your commercial airline first (if your mum isn’t in the need for medical service) is the cheaper, faster and more comfortable option. You could also ask the doc in charge to write a document about the situation. Most of the time there are spare BC seats available.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

There are other things to consider about such a long transport (10+ hours), immobilized, and without access to emergency medical care. Depending on mom's age, she is at higher risk for a DVT after leg fracture, not to mention the potential of a fat embolism. These are very hard to deal with over the middle of the Atlantic at 35,000'.

XC70_OVERLANDER

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
There are other things to consider about such a long transport (10+ hours), immobilized, and without access to emergency medical care. Depending on mom's age, she is at higher risk for a DVT after leg fracture, not to mention the potential of a fat embolism. These are very hard to deal with over the middle of the Atlantic at 35,000'.
You are absolutely right. It is a risk that should not be taken recklessly. But I am quite sure that the attending physicians are able to administer sufficient anticoagulants to a patient with a broken leg that a transatlantic flight does not require the commitment of a critical care team. Therefore, the plan should be discussed with the attending physician beforehand with risk assessment.

Reactions: shansonpac

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sir, I have indeed been on an air ambulance flight. It is not to be taken lightly, and also not to be used simply as a means of comfort - no offense. One's medical condition must be stable enough to fly but usually said condition is serious to grave. Often the necessary medical care is only available in the destination location. Or insurance will only pay to have it done in the destination country.They don't tend to sortie just so someone doesnt have to sit up. No offense but I think you see my meaning. I suppose if you are someone of note or have extremely good insurance that might differ.

PM me if you like.

Reactions: XC70_OVERLANDER

XC70_OVERLANDER

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Buy a first class ticket, you get get very comfortable in any first class seat I have ever been in.
Even better than business class. From experience, though, the comfort difference isn't worth the money. Depending on the airline, 1st is three times the BC price.