Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Has anyone here heard of Expedition Overland before? They're a group of people that go on these amazing overland adventures all over the world and film it all and post it on YouTube. I found them a while back and I can never get enough of their videos. The cinematography is awesome, and the content is completely genuine with really stunning wheeling and scenery shots. I just figured I'd share that here so other people can check out their content. It's really great to watch.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Yep, there are a few threads here about them, and they're in our thread on favorite YouTube Channels.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
This weekend at Expo these are the guys. Rich and famous in your dime. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
They are doing well now ....... but it wasn't always so. "Out of Despiration" to quote Clay. Take a Photographer and a Cinematographer unemployed in the 2008 market crash, use a lot of imagination, love of nature and .......... putting their expertise to work, THEY made it happen. America at its best!

steve_birdsall

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tacoma Washington
Member #

Has anyone here heard of Expedition Overland before? They're a group of people that go on these amazing overland adventures all over the world and film it all and post it on YouTube. I found them a while back and I can never get enough of their videos. The cinematography is awesome, and the content is completely genuine with really stunning wheeling and scenery shots. I just figured I'd share that here so other people can check out their content. It's really great to watch.
They're how I got this bug! I watched their first adventure and was hooked. Really happy for their success but like our home here at Overland Bound more.

Sent from my SM-S906L using OB Talk mobile app

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Expedition Overland got me started as well. Now I drag the family around eveywhere, luckily they love it. Great group of guys. It's awesome to see someone follow their passion and make a great life of it.

OB# 3805

0to60in11minutes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Near Boston MA
Member #

I prefer Andrew White @ 4x overland as well as ronny dahls video series. They feel far less forced? The xoverland crew makes great stuff, but it seems they tend to exaggerate things a fair bit for the sake of adding drama to the series. On the other hand there is the msoverland crew, while the videos may be good, the soundtrack makes it completely unwatchable for me.

Last edited:

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
These guys had a big hand in me getting as serious as I have into overland travel. I agree that some stuff seems forced at times, but that's the game when you have sponsors. I think the cinematography is great, and I like Clay doing the narrating. Over time he has developed his cadence and tone and it adds to great video work.

To go from struggling and out of work, to taking your hobby and making a living out of it is the American dream. I watch a couple of other groups on Youtube and while the trips look good the video isn't very refined, or the narration isn't great, or like another member pointed out, the music is terrible. Bold Overland is getting there, and so is overland bound. To be fair they are off roaders first, and slowly getting into the video stuff, and it looks like it can be very expensive to get into and one of thise things that's easy to do, but hard to do well. I hope everyone keeps making videos and keeps getting better so I have stuff to watch between my own trips.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Yep, been watching their YouTube channel for a number of years but never had the chance to meet them. They come across as a great group of people. I have to say I'm very impressed with their level of preparation, the sponsors they have onboard to help them and the amazing quality of the videos they produce. Not exactly what you'd call overlanding on a budget but can't fault them for the effort they've put in to make their trips what they are. Always an enjoyable watch!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I feel kind of meh about their channel. It feels to me that they've gone from relatable and engaging to something that feels more like a Discovery Channel reality TV show. Not my cup of tea, but I can see what other folks like about it.

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

I've definitely enjoyed their videos. You can tell that Clay is a professional videographer as the quality of their videos is generally higher than most of the other channels. Sometimes they take themselves a little too seriously for my tastes, but I have to admit I probably would too if I were in their shoes.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

I'm glad a lot of other people like them too. They have planted a seed in my mind making me want to take a long overland trip. I have no idea when or where it would be but it's a goal now. And of course my Jeep is gonna need a lot of work before I can manage something like that. :/ I think I like them so much though because of how much they focus on not only the wheeling portion of their trips but everything around them too. They really focus on the scenery around them and the importance of taking in what's around us all. And they're such a well oiled machine.

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
I love the show, I've been wanting to get into overlanding for a while but the show really cemented the idea for me and now I'm finally starting to get into it. I'm also hooked on OxOverland, watching their Oregon trail series right now.

Sent from my VS986 using OB Talk mobile app

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
Kurt seems to be everywhere lol. He does a lot of posting on EP too. It's pretty nice to be able to actually talk to one of the guys involved and be able to pick his brain.

*edited to add that I can't wait for this new season. This trip gets back to what I enjoyed about the first couple seasons, a long travel offroad. The Trail was cool, but it dragged a little. No ones fault, but it was basically driving at 1 MPH hacking down trees and trying not to get stuck for hundred of miles. This upcoming trip looks like it will be through all manners of terrain and weather. Should be interesting.

You guys are living the dream. I know those new episodes won't be out for a while, but I'm excited to see them.

BTW, are you guys going to Overland Expo East or does that fall during that trip?

10ga

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Morristown, TN
Member #

That Kurt guy is a comedian.......LOL I've told Kurt on the phone how much I enjoy it. I've owned Land Cruisers for 25 years but the EO series is what got me really thinking about using my cruisers for what they were made for. Now I get to send a lot of my money to Kurt :sunglasses:

Reactions: cruiseroutfit