Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

I was going to bring that up, but then I re-read the first post. Based on his listed location, I don't believe he will have any issues with that. Note the absence of green and blue in this region.

View attachment 44085
I don't plan on staying in the desert long. I'm from then evergreen state. It sounds that Jet hot or another ceramic coating is the best.

Do you want to lower engine bay temps or the engine’s internal temp?

Wrap will significantly lower the life of the exhaust, jet hot can’t be added yourself. You buy jet hot coated headers. I’ve had really good luck with Eastwood ceramic exhaust coating. The key is the you have to coat the INSIDE of the exhaust to minimalize heat retention in the exhaust components. If you don’t have an overheat problem lowering the temps Underwood won’t really net any longer component life. Lowering the operation temps can hurt as much as help if it’s in spec. The engineers designed it to run a certain way.

Auto meter makes some awesome gauges that have a fairly stock look and they are good quality.
I understand they made theses engines to run at certain temps. Engine temps I think are fine if I maintain coolant levels. Long-life and how well everything is running is what I am looking for. I just want to make my truck last. And that is if I am crawling up a dirt road, flying through mud or rolling down the interstate.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Reactions: Rorschach

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

I watched that vid on fans. You guys use more torque then Horsepower out on the trail.

I don't want an electrical fan but to gain some numbers should I upgrade to a thermal clutch fan?

Goldmarble

Rank 0

Traveler I

Depends; what do you have now? Do you feel it would be worth the extra cost?

If you currently have a fixed, or flex-fan, do realize that a thermal clutch will, eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Course, the factory one on my Sportage lasted 15-16 years, for one point of reference.

If it is a cheap upgrade for your vehicle? I would say...why not?

Reactions: Buzzard13