Hilop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo
What do you guys recommend for tire size? I have an 06 with 6.0 and 4” Icon lift with 35’s that look a bit small. I’m about to buy some new tires and have been Thinking 37’s. Eventually I’ll have a topper with a rack and maybe tire carrier on the back.
Thanks

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

What do you guys recommend for tire size? I have an 06 with 6.0 and 4” Icon lift with 35’s that look a bit small. I’m about to buy some new tires and have been Thinking 37’s. Eventually I’ll have a topper with a rack and maybe tire carrier on the back.
Thanks

gas or diesel? gearing???

Hilop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo
6.0 diesel and 373’s. According to CJC offroad, 37s wont have much of an effect on diesel compared to a gasser. I’d like to know if anyone has experience with a 3/4 ton with 37s and what the pros/cons are while venturing out. I don’t mind sticking with 35s since I can fit it in the spare tire spot. Thanks

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

well, I have a lot of experience with 6.0's in the excursion and 3.73 gears. you will need to tune the truck if you switch to 37's. The 6.0 is RPM sensitive, more so than any other power stroke.

if you go to 37's, I'd also change the turbo, and tune it. when you do so.. if you have not already. you need headstuds. also need a remote oil cooler, and address the EGR. look at my post on my 6.0 build.. I learned the hard way. lol

good luck

6.0 diesel and 373’s. According to CJC offroad, 37s wont have much of an effect on diesel compared to a gasser. I’d like to know if anyone has experience with a 3/4 ton with 37s and what the pros/cons are while venturing out. I don’t mind sticking with 35s since I can fit it in the spare tire spot. Thanks

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

I have a 7.3 Excursion with 35’s and regeared mine to 4:10s to keep it close to stock gearing, also for the lower range and for better towing. I am not familiar with the 6.0 platform for reasons mentioned above. If it’s not bulletproofed yet, I would get 35’s and apply the extra funds to make the necessary changes to keep the motor reliable.

Reactions: The Roach ...

Hilop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo
well, I have a lot of experience with 6.0's in the excursion and 3.73 gears. you will need to tune the truck if you switch to 37's. The 6.0 is RPM sensitive, more so than any other power stroke.

if you go to 37's, I'd also change the turbo, and tune it. when you do so.. if you have not already. you need headstuds. also need a remote oil cooler, and address the EGR. look at my post on my 6.0 build.. I learned the hard way. lol

good luck
I’m studded with BP EGR, OEM cooler, IPR Coolant filter with ELC, new FICM and monitor. She’s been a champ on the 35s but I was curious about the 37s. I don’t want to mess with the turbo but I will get a safe tune soon. I think I’ll stick with the 35s and use the extra cash for goodies!
Here’s a picture of my girl.E7BFEC7B-0524-48ED-9F6A-6F88547F1C7B.jpeg

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Nice looking truck.. I have a Powermac v4 for the 6.0 in storage we never used my shop manager just reminded me about. Mounted and then went to twins... would take a reasonable offer for it.

I'd add the Bullet proof diesel oil filter relocation kit and cooler, adds huge oil volume. just don't put it under the front bumper like they recommend. The cooler in front and the oil filter on firewall works awesome.

I liked that body style of truck.. had a crew cab xlt that I wish I'd kept... but it was a LOOOOOONNNNGGGGGG BED, Long wheel base definitely NOT an Overlander.

I’m studded with BP EGR, OEM cooler, IPR Coolant filter with ELC, new FICM and monitor. She’s been a champ on the 35s but I was curious about the 37s. I don’t want to mess with the turbo but I will get a safe tune soon. I think I’ll stick with the 35s and use the extra cash for goodies!
Here’s a picture of my girl.View attachment 170057

Hilop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo
Thanks, I’ll have to pass on the turbo but thanks. I’ll definitely look into the oil filter relocation kit.
Yes, it won’t be an exploratory vehicle. More of a fishing Basecamp to spots I know I can fit it in and yes it’s a very long truck.
Thanks

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Thanks, I’ll have to pass on the turbo but thanks. I’ll definitely look into the oil filter relocation kit.
Yes, it won’t be an exploratory vehicle. More of a fishing Basecamp to spots I know I can fit it in and yes it’s a very long truck.
Thanks

lol... sorry I wasn't offering it... it was more my shop manager telling me we need to get rid of parts. lol

the oil filter / cooler is a must in my book. keeps the temps down. and keeps the pool fresh, you already have the bypass filter which is an also must on the 6.0

Hilop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo
lol... sorry I wasn't offering it... it was more my shop manager telling me we need to get rid of parts. lol

the oil filter / cooler is a must in my book. keeps the temps down. and keeps the pool fresh, you already have the bypass filter which is an also must on the 6.0
Lol,

lol, it sounded like it. I would like a powermax but maybe when my stock one takes a crap. I’ll definitely look into the filterrelocation kit.
are you a diesel mechanic?

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Lol,

lol, it sounded like it. I would like a powermax but maybe when my stock one takes a crap. I’ll definitely look into the filterrelocation kit.
are you a diesel mechanic?

no but I've built five of the highest horsepower 6.0's built and four of them stayed together! lol. so I have some experience on that one. well paid for.

Reactions: Hilop

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

Question, is it worthy upgrade to go from Bilstein 5100 series shocks to the Fox 2.0 front and Fox 2.5 rear? Anyone made the change or have FOX?

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

Usage is defiantly not pre-running, mostly roads and slow going on gravel to include obstacles on the trail. I seen that same Baja gatherings required a fox 2.5 or better to attend, so I starting asking my self if it would be a worthy upgrade...I kinda miss my old Ranch 9000 with the compressor to remote adjust them, but that was all pre lift days and long ago.

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

I don't have enough experience to say for sure. So lol... I have read that Fox shocks are mass produced, tuned (also know this from mountain bikes and Fox can be tricky getting parts for suspension components over a few years old. And it's very hard to speak to a person for help) and can be expensive to rebuild. Coming close to the price of the shocks themselves? I'd love to hear what others have experienced here. All that being said we saved a bit longer and went with a Carli Pintop kit, and one of the reasons was due to reliability and rebuild/service cost. Still waiting on the suspension system to get here too haha!! Dang it... I hope this helps more than confuses.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Usage is defiantly not pre-running, mostly roads and slow going on gravel to include obstacles on the trail. I seen that same Baja gatherings required a fox 2.5 or better to attend, so I starting asking my self if it would be a worthy upgrade...I kinda miss my old Ranch 9000 with the compressor to remote adjust them, but that was all pre lift days and long ago.

if you're going slow.. the 5160's are the way to go. the larger fox shocks are only workable due to heat build up from fast usage and the 5160's are pretty close.. ive run them and never regretted it.. and since the truck is mostly on road daily driver. I personally feel the money is better spent somewhere else. those 2.5 shocks are not cheap.

Reactions: Jay Smallen

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

if you're going slow.. the 5160's are the way to go. the larger fox shocks are only workable due to heat build up from fast usage and the 5160's are pretty close.. ive run them and never regretted it.. and since the truck is mostly on road daily driver. I personally feel the money is better spent somewhere else. those 2.5 shocks are not cheap.
No they are not cheap for sure. I dont plan on taking the Excursion to baja so not a concern their. Seems to be mixed reviews on the 5160's as for being firmer then the 5100's vs Softer. Looks like more research will be necessary. The 5100's I have now are still in good order, just looking for something a little softer. So I certainly do not want to spend the money only to get a harsher ride. I am sure mileage will vary depending on the vehicle.

I finally found a fridge, just pulled the trigger on a ICECO VL45 with the cover. :smiley: