Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

King of European travel - Rick Steve's travel.
Lives in my hometown. And we host his European Travel talks at our theater, where I am right now. Up at 6am this morning to open up, and to get the theater ready. He pulls in the crowd, even at this early hour, over 200 in the theater right now. Today, he has speaker from many of the European countries
(Sorry bad photo)IMG_20180124_091434167.jpg

Last edited:

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Been watching his stuff on PBS for over a decade! His is by far my favorite travel show.. I started watchhing him on Saturday mornings when I didn't have cable. I even have a couple of my favorites saved on my DVR.

If I ever make a trip to Europe I will be using his guide books.

Reactions: Voodoo 1

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Been watching his stuff on PBS for over a decade! His is by far my favorite travel show.. I started watchhing him on Saturday mornings when I didn't have cable. I even have a couple of my favorites saved on my DVR.

If I ever make a trip to Europe I will be using his guide books.
I have a few of his DVDs, of my favorite regions. And if I ever make it over there (for Overland Bound adventures) I'll probably use 1 or 2 of his books too. Later brother

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I've always enjoyed his shows on PBS. Goes to some amazing places!
And I really dig the 'off the beaten path' route he takes. Staying at small bed and breakfast type places and visiting the spots that aren't just huge tourist traps. I also enjoy how he includes local guides one-on-one, which is how I would want to do it. I think I would hate the big tour-bus type of trips.

Reactions: Voodoo 1 and Steve

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

And I really dig the 'off the beaten path' route he takes. Staying at small bed and breakfast type places and visiting the spots that aren't just huge tourist traps. I also enjoy how he includes local guides one-on-one, which is how I would want to do it. I think I would hate the big tour-bus type of trips.
Agreed!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

King of European travel - Rick Steve's travel.
Lives in my hometown. And we host his European Travel talks at our theater, where I am right now. Up at 6am this morning to open up, and to get the theater ready. He pulls in the crowd, even at this early hour, over 200 in the theater right now. Today, he has speaker from many of the European countries
Wow! Very cool, @Voodoo 1, that you work at a theatre that does that sort of thing. I've listened to Rick Steves forever. Always intriguing and interesting.

Reactions: Voodoo 1

Dakeg218

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

My wife and mother in law are obsessed with his books and we follow them whenever we go abroad. His theories are good and he is good at avoiding the huge crowds and the standard touristy stuff. My only 2 gripe s are that his tase in food is mediocre at best and some of his “paths” are not worth the extra time they take. You end up wander around back alleys in Florence to find a carving that may or may not have been done by Leonardo. 2+hours out of the way, walking in the summer heat is not my idea of a good time.

Would love to meat him irl tho.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I spent 5 days in Cinque Terre many years ago because of him. It was awesome!.... but I don't think it is the same today.
We hiked the trail to Vernazza about 8 years ago. Best damn salad I've ever eaten in my life was consumed at the patio restaurant in the bay there.