Event Cancelled - October Monthly Trip - VA-WV

• HTML tutorial

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

New to Overland Bound community and extending an invitation to join me for one of my monthly overland trips scheduled in October. Have been conducting these personal monthly trips exploring VA / WV / KY / TN / NC areas for last 5 years.

Expectations
- Friday - Sunday
- Initial RP is set at a Sheetz gas station in Harrisonburg VA
- Official rendezvous time may change.
- Different campsite each night and different terrain each day.
- Base Camp each night TBD
- Combination of street / trail/ mountainous terrain.
- Route guidance will be furnished via .gpx file as time gets closer.
- Vehicle limit is set to 10 rigs / drivers with no limitations on passengers / furry friends.
- Vehicle limit can be increased based on groups capabilities to offset into teams.

Please join me for my annual trip in October exploring the scenic highways and byways of VA-WV.

Last edited:

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

Is the meet up time 2000 or is that when you are expecting to head out?
Meetup time is 2000, expect to try and roll out ready to go by 2100 at the latest.

Final head counts and arrival times will affect that as time gets closer. Depending on consensus of group, we may do an extended night run prior to setting up base camp which could also affect meetup / departure times. This option would allows us to cover more terrain, setting us for a good run on Saturday.

Schmack

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Virginia
Member #

Man, I'd love to go but I already have plans for that weekend. I'll definitely keep an eye out for your next trip.

Reactions: smplone

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Meetup time is 2000, expect to try and roll out ready to go by 2100 at the latest.

Final head counts and arrival times will affect that as time gets closer. Depending on consensus of group, we may do an extended night run prior to setting up base camp which could also affect meetup / departure times. This option would allows us to cover more terrain, setting us for a good run on Saturday.
Awesome! Looking at the time frame, I should be able to make this. It is all dependent on if anything pops up over the weekend. I'll mark myself as a "maybe" in the Rally Point.

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

RSVP'd as maybe, as it depends on whether or not I get sent away for work the week leading up to the planned weekend.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

I have a few friends coming as driver and riders. Expecting more from MOAS as well, maybe my good friend from Tennessee stopping in. I run motion X, CB and Ham radio. Full route guidance being plotted out this weekend. As long as you have motion x and comm, anyone can technically link up with us at any point during trip.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

Man, I'd love to go but I already have plans for that weekend. I'll definitely keep an eye out for your next trip.
Cool, next one will be mid November before holiday. Quick turn around from October but when you commit to monthly trips, no excuses. Trust me only takes that one month where things interfere and it's 2 months later when you are back out there.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

Oh man this looks good. Still room? One vehicle with 2 or 3 passengers.
Yes plenty of room, will upload more details as time gets closer. Will also take poll on intinerary, group food and supplies as head counts develope.

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

I would love to join but being pretty new to this and depending on the difficulty of the trail I'm not sure if I will have all the appropriate vehicle recovery gear or general bearings on the trail to keep up with the group. If this isn't the trip for me I just don't want to be biting off more than I can chew here.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

I would love to join but being pretty new to this and depending on the difficulty of the trail I'm not sure if I will have all the appropriate vehicle recovery gear or general bearings on the trail to keep up with the group. If this isn't the trip for me I just don't want to be biting off more than I can chew here.
Expect the trails to be on the mild side. In most of my research from other blogs, they indicated 4x4 is necessary and low "bellied" vehicles should not pass. There will be adequate recovery gear and spotters to carry the group. Also expect to run approx. 140 miles a day between trail and street being a 50/50 combo. Expect late arrivals and early mornings. Expect a detailed route with available pit stops, fuel stations and observation areas, but maintaining a consistent pace. Noobs or vets welcomed. Room to ride along if uncertain of your vehicles ability. Most recommended items are coms, navigation, good camp equipment and enthusiasm.

Nick80

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Haymarket, Virginia, USA
First Name
NICHOLAS
Last Name
Roozen
Member #

AHHH This looks perfect But I have no idea when my lift install will be complete I'm dropping the truck off on the 16th.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

UPDATE #1

2 weeks away from departure. This trip will happen no matter the weather. Due to being in elevations as high as 3500' please prepare to dress warm and sleep comfortably. Full loop route being mapped out. Covering a lot of ground in 2.5 days, Expect late arrivals and early departures.

Rendezvous time changing to 1900 now. If things align will be looking to get started an hour earlier than this.

Weekend itinerary changing as well. We will be advancing Saturday's schedule to Friday night. Expect to drive an additional 3 hours after Rendezvous to end point in WV. This actually only extends initial travel by 90 minutes. It will open up Saturday to get team to Black Water Falls by Saturday afternoon. Final end point will drop us off in Strasburg VA.

Route guidance via GPX file will be furnished to anyone who wants it. Looking at approx. 100 miles per day of travel with 70/30 split between trail/street. I would not expect anyone to air down more than 20% entire weekend.

Please get in touch with me with any questions / concerns. I will need your full contact information and expectations prior to commitment. At this time 3 vehicles and 8 people are committed from my end.

Tundred7904

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lexington park MD
Member #

You can count me as coming if you haven't already, the only thing is that I live in Maryland and get off work at 16 on normal days and Friday is more like 15 so getting there by 19 might be a little tough with all the traffic across the Potomac bridge

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
You can count me as coming if you haven't already, the only thing is that I live in Maryland and get off work at 16 on normal days and Friday is more like 15 so getting there by 19 might be a little tough with all the traffic across the Potomac bridge
In the same boat. Planning to come but rendezvous time might be tight.

AHHH This looks perfect But I have no idea when my lift install will be complete I'm dropping the truck off on the 16th.
Plan to come and see how it pans out!

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

I wish I could join you guys, but won't be home for a few more months. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to join you then. I'm looking forward to pics/videos and a trip report if someone does one. Hope you guys have a good time.