Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Overland-Bound-Europe_2000X2000.jpg
Europe Regions – Where Are We Now?

We worked for months to come up with an accurate re-alignment of the regions within Europe based on feedback from Overland Bound members. After numerous conversations and discussions both on the OB forum and private Facebook groups, we streamlined the regions to make the layout more cohesive and simpler to understand.

Understanding and separating regions within Europe is not straightforward with many countries, cultures and languages to be taken into consideration. We also considered information obtained by visiting external forums. From this ongoing dialogue we created the new region map outlined below.

Mid Europe - Following discussions and feedback it was agreed France should be added to Mid Europe.

East Europe - Poland has been added from Mid Europe based on its geography.

Mediterranean - Formally South Europe. This makes it simpler to visualise as each country borders the Mediterranean or a country directly attached to it and will allow for other countries bordering the Mediterranean to be added as their membership increases such as Morocco.

Scandinavia - Formally North Europe. This makes the region simpler to visualise, and retains similar cultural connection.

West Europe - No further changes for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

Other Considerations:

● Reducing the number of regions from 7 to 5. This reduction in the number of regions will help to consolidate members and avoid confusion. Every effort was made to make countries within regions be connected by a land border for closer community ties although in some instances this was not possible. (Example: Portugal which was included in Mediterranean Region.)

As membership grows in the different regions, HQ will evaluate the need for additional Director positions. In the meantime, Member Representatives will be put in place to help the local membership. Facebook pages will also be brought on line as local regional needs dictate.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

This sounds quite good Dave :)

As this re-alignment occurs at the same time as the migration to a new forum platform, i don't understand why we still have 7 regions, claiming only 5. I know a discussion is happening in the southwest forum but you should (please) relocate it in the South Europe forum (and rename it to Mediterranean). Then you can erase Southeast and Southwest and it looks already better.

Secondly, and as a member told it on the West Europe FB page, west europe is a small area in number of countries and i really think you should not have sub forums. Especially when there is only one for UK. Let's get rid of it and directly access the West Europe forum when clicking on it. And let's ad instead the list of countries for this West Europe section under the title like for every other region.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
This sounds quite good Dave :)

As this re-alignment occurs at the same time as the migration to a new forum platform, i don't understand why we still have 7 regions, claiming only 5. I know a discussion is happening in the southwest forum but you should (please) relocate it in the South Europe forum (and rename it to Mediterranean). Then you can erase Southeast and Southwest and it looks already better.

Secondly, and as a member told it on the West Europe FB page, west europe is a small area in number of countries and i really think you should not have sub forums. Especially when there is only one for UK. Let's get rid of it and directly access the West Europe forum when clicking on it. And let's ad instead the list of countries for this West Europe section under the title like for every other region.
All renaming and moving posts from regions that no longer exist is in progress. UK was a through back to before the rest of the Europe Regions were set up so yes I'll look at migrating the UK posts into West Europe to avoid confusion and keep things tidy.

Reactions: 76_overlander

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Thank you, it looks good.
Now we can wait for the other steps will come in time.
The representives, badges, stickers and more.

I hope that at Bad Kissingen we all see an united OB Europe. And it would be great to see @Michael and @Corrie in the flesh.

Lets see if we can get them engaged for that event.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Thank you, it looks good.
Now we can wait for the other steps will come in time.
The representives, badges, stickers and more.

I hope that at Bad Kissingen we all see an united OB Europe. And it would be great to see @Michael and @Corrie in the flesh.

Lets see if we can get them engaged for that event.
This year we were too late to get a traders stand for the show but it is definitely in the diary for 2020.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Dont go for the Traders stand anyway.
Go an be on our spot at the campsite, way cheaper, way better. That is were the best action is.
Believe me, I am going there for several years now.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I agree with Robert, the camp area is where the show is.
I also see the wish for a official representation, but that's not up to me to decide.

Reactions: 76_overlander

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We would love to go to Abenteuer Allrad! Unfortunately this year looks like a write off though :/
There will be others for sure. We had a mountain madness OB trip straight after leaving the Allrad to head to the Alps and the Matterhorn but sadly that also had to be cancelled. It will be resurrected in the future though

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi!

Bad Kissingen is cancelled for 2020, right, but there are other smaller and also nice overlanding and offroad shows in Germany. The 4x4 Rhein Waal in Kalkar (near to NL) is postponed and will take place in August this year. The Adventure Southside which is also a really nice event is also postponed and will take place mid of November in the southwest of Germany.

Maybe see you there!

Stay safe,
Bjoern