Estimated Cost To DIY A Hiker Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I really like the look of the 5'x8' Hiker Trailers but I am wondering about how much it would cost to DIY one... I am pretty handy with most stuff but would definitely need help welding. Also, I am not sure what goes into registering a DIY trailer over buying one.

Has anyone done this before? I'd love some insight. Honestly I am not looking to build a massive off-road trailer. I really think a basic on-road one would work where I could park it and then take the Jeep out on the trail.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

1st you have to ask yourself how much you want to put into this trailer build: time & money. How far are you willing to go as of materials used (all metal constructed or metal & wood?). Cheap IMO isn't the way to go for a offroad trailer.

Every state varies in registering a DIY trailer. I had zero problem doing so. Arkansas require length width & empty weight & as well as gross weight. That's it they issue me a VIN number you follow the instructions & the location of the VIN number & have it stamped on a plate & welded or riveted & or etched\engraved on the tongue rail. I insured mine for 10,500. & had no problem doing so.

I built my overland trailer M416 style w\RTT. Chassis & suspension is important factor. I went with offroad suspension w\shock kit. My chassis can handle the riggers of offroading in rough country. My axle is a 2000lb axle. Tongue length is another to think about My tongue is 6" shy of my chassis length which is 6ft long frame, 5 1\2ft. long tongue. My complete build cost me (trailer: chassis & tub, RTT, awning, primer paint, tires wheels, fenders, bed liner,tonneau cover, jacks, solar system) 7,400.00 w\o camping gear. Time frame for my build was 9 1\2 months every week end & lots of nights during the week days. This trailer is very structurally sound.

I thought about building a tear drop @ the of this end of the year. By the time I figure material cost, it would exceed over what I can by a bare bones 5ftw.x8ftl.x 4fth. tear drop that is design for offroad & constructed of all 100% aluminum frame, 100% aluminum wall framing, 100% aluminum ceiling framing, 100% aluminum sleeting exterior walls, roof & floor. This includes 31\10.5\ 15 tires & rims under 7,000.00

Lastly do you want this trailer to be problem free: structurally & able to go off roading?
005.JPG

Last edited:

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Thanks for the info. As much as I like the idea of off-roading with the trailer I don't think I will do it much. Around me it seems that the majority of what's around is just easy to access campgrounds and such... That is why I was leaning towards a mostly street camper that I can tow behind either my Jeep or my wife's civic if we are just looking for a quick trip away with no wheeling.

Based on what you said about how long it took to build it would probably be easiest and best for me to just try to figure out finances and purchase something already made.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for the info. As much as I like the idea of off-roading with the trailer I don't think I will do it much. Around me it seems that the majority of what's around is just easy to access campgrounds and such... That is why I was leaning towards a mostly street camper that I can tow behind either my Jeep or my wife's civic if we are just looking for a quick trip away with no wheeling.

Based on what you said about how long it took to build it would probably be easiest and best for me to just try to figure out finances and purchase something already made.
They have cheaper non-offroad versions. Lot's of options out there. If you are not a skilled welder I personally would not recommend doing a DIY trailer. Paying a local fabricator to build something will likely not make it cost effective. I have modded one trailer, built another with help of friends on a flatbed military platform, and owned 2 production models. Building a trailer was a great experience. I had (have? ha ha) great friends who helped with the build. Had I paid someone to weld everything it would have not made it cost effective.

Head to Facebook. Every time a manufacturer makes a post and someone asks the cost someone else chimes in and says "I can build that for $2000.00" or pick a number 5-10 times less than the retail cost of the production trailer. Good luck!

You can go price steel, wood, axles, and other parts pretty easily to give you a rough idea. Then there is all of the labor involved. Do it for the fun of doing it and not for the attempt at saving money. As mentioned if you are good with carpentry you could get a good base trailer platform and then build on top of that but it likely will not be as refined as a production model.

The VRV Flyer and Eco model are great platforms to then customize yourself. Of course I am biased since I own one.

A bit dated but this is an excellent guide for what options are available:
http://www.theadventureportal.com/off-road-trailer-buyers-guide-2015-2016/

You might also look at CoolTears Magazine for ads.

Last edited:
S

SubeeBen

9A7D2556-75E4-4CCC-ACD4-63FE58DAECF8.jpeg Just throwing in my 2 cents but I converted my landscaping trailer into an off-road teardrop trailer. Trailer custom built was $1000.00. But I have about another 1k into the build so 2k total and am about 95% done. In California a home built trailer to get registered is an absolute joke that’s why I just bought one from a trailer co locally. In Tn. Registration might be easier. Good luck with your build & hope my 2 cents helped.

Reactions: MrV

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Thanks for the info everyone. I like the explorer box but for probably a similar price I could get a basic Runaway trailer that can do the trick. I definitely do not have gobs of money to throw at a trailer as my wife and I just bought a house so that is why I am looking at cheaper and more budget friendly options. Hell, for now we might just get a tent and do it that way... A trailer just seems so much nicer :)

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for the info everyone. I like the explorer box but for probably a similar price I could get a basic Runaway trailer that can do the trick. I definitely do not have gobs of money to throw at a trailer as my wife and I just bought a house so that is why I am looking at cheaper and more budget friendly options. Hell, for now we might just get a tent and do it that way... A trailer just seems so much nicer :)
Look at Craigslist and Outdoorsy and rent! Not the worst thing.