• HTML tutorial

PenmanPhoto

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

East, SOMD
Member #

Hey all!

I'm taking a trip to CO and will be bouncing around between Estes Park and Denver. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going for a wedding and figured...why not make it a trip. I am trying to do some rafting, hiking, and of course OverLanding! Unfortunately I won't be able to do any camping, so I am looking for day adventures with some awesome scenery. I will be starting my trip from Maryland, so if there are any "must see" spots on the way please let me know. I really appreciate the help!

If anyone is free and wants to meet up along the way...that would be rad too! My dates in CO will be the 24th-28th of May.

Thanks again!

-PenmanPhoto

NerdyNick

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Broomfield, CO
Member #

Rocky Mountain National Park is a great drive. If it's open take Old Fall River road to the top and ride Trail Ridge Road back down to the bottom. Their is a number of great hikes you can do with in the park if you got the time. If you have time in the park. Take the Bear Lakes road drive. It's a fun drive through some very beautiful sites and really shows off a lot more of the park. The backside of the park going towards Grand Lake also tends to be the best sitings for Mouse. Where as the Estes side is the best for Elk and Sheep. Not to mention the resident herd of Elk that live in town.

Visit the Stanley hotel and take the hourly history tour. It's usually full for the next couple hours and takes about 90mins. So plan to get there early or make reservations online. They will take you all over the hotel, tell you stories about the hotel, it's history and the history about the Stanley family. As well as info and stories about The Shining and Dumb and Dumber. The Ghost Tour is fun as well but is always booked up and only happens at night. It's not as historical but fun none the less if you can do it.

Stop in Lyons along the way from Denver to Estes. It's a little town at the intersections of HWY 36 and HWY 72 (These two highways are great scenic drives and I'd recommend taking both if you can). There is a vintage pinball museum that you can play every one of them. It's also home of Oscar Blues brewing. So a good place to eat or just grab a drink. There is also Spirit Hound Distillery just as you come into town on the south side of the hwy. They have great cocktails and spirits, Richard's Decaf Coffee Liquor is the shit.

If you have time, take the Peak to Peak HWY (Byway maybe?). This is a combination of HWY's 7, 72, and 119. It runs from I70 north to Estes. If you can't afford the whole thing. The Lyons to Allenspark (HWY 72) route to HWY 7 is your best bang for getting part of it. This will take you right by Longs Peak. One of the most well known and beautiful 14's around. As you come into Estes form the south, there is also Lily Lakes and Twin Sisters Peaks. Which both have some small fun hikes/walks. If you're also an avid beer fan, as myself. Lumpy Ridge Brewing is a fun stop as you come into town. It's in an old converted gas station with the auto garage. Have Nick show you his setup, old dairy equipment setup.

Downtown Estes is a fun walk around town. The Barrel is a great place to drink from a very large collection of beers. Skip eating at Wild Rose. If you end up a Estes Brewing; drink the beer, skip the food. There is also a gondola (Estes Park Aerial Tramway) you can ride that will take you to the top of one of the peaks and yields some great views. There is also a adventure park next door and another great Brewery (Rock Cut).

Also to note HWY 34 from Loveland to Estes is closed for repair work from the floods back in 2013. So plan to take one of the other HWYs into town from Denver.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Yes, I do! Go to Fort Collins and take a tour of the New Belgium Brewing Company. http://www.newbelgium.com

Schedule your free tour ahead of time, or sign up the day of on their waiting list. If waiting, go early in the day! They are booked months in advance. College town + free beer, you get the picture. :)

This was the most fun I've ever had a brewery! Lots of samples in *big* glasses. Deb didn't like most of them, so I had double. I shouldn't have been driving afterwards...

Reactions: PenmanPhoto

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@PenmanPhoto

Late May is Mud season in Estes so make sure you are ready with an extra pair of shoes and something to clean off your boots.

Old Fall River Rd is not to be missed, Though in late May it's a craps shoot to be open.

If you go over to the west side of the park there can be moose in the beaver ponds of the Colorado River headwaters. Any where there are willows Moose are likely. I've had Bulls come right through my campground when camped at the Timber Creek Campground. This is very likely when you are visiting since Memorial day weekend is the first time many RMNP campgrounds are opened for the year.

I'll second Lily lake, and toss in grab brunch at the BaldPate Inn ( http://www.baldpateinn.com/?page_id=24 ) which is across the HWY and down the gravel road a bit from the Lily lake parking lot. Good food, a bit pricey but the Awesome views of Estes valley help to make up for it. In late may you'll likely get to see a good selection of native and transient Humming birds visiting the feeders right out side your window so bring your camera.

If you stay in town lunch or dinner at the Sundeck restaurant by the SE entrance to RMNP has always had great food at reasonable prices. (Though I've heard that Hoerner family was planning to sell the place after the 2016 Summer season.)

BoorT

Reactions: PenmanPhoto