Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I did not see any reference to what sort of budget you are looking at...

Solo recovery is actually more gear intensive than buddy recovery.

when you are solo, you have to make sure you have EVERY you might need for ANY situation

ESSENTIAL:
Yes I realize many of these items are not "Recovery kit" but they are none the less as essential as a recovery kit if you are planning on traveling solo

LED head lamp (ye never know when you will be working in the dark.)

Safety Glasses (even if your job makes you wear RX safety glasses, do not count on them. get some OTG safety glasses and keep them in the vehicle if nothing else you can loan them to a passenger or a stranger who is helping you. they are cheap... get a couple pair.

An extensive tool kit: I fear I do not have a complete list close to hand, but at very least a complete set of sockets and wrenches to match your vehicle, lineman's pliers, hammer, rubber mallet, crimping tool, breaker bar, multi meter, utility knife screwdrivers, any torx and allen keys you need for your vehicle. etc. also spares such as fuses and some 10-12g wire, plus things like WD40, ductape, electrical tape (or liquid electrical tape), heat shrink tubing, JB Weld, etc. these are just the things I could think of off the top of my head... there are a lot of lists out there, or perhaps a mechanic in the group could chime in.

a complete first aid kit (at very least a basic first aid kit with additional trauma kit including a blood coagulant such as quickclot)

at least 2: 2.5lb BC fire extinguishers in cab one the driver can reach and one that can be reached by a passenger plus at least one 5lb ABC fire extinguisher in the cargo area in the cargo area or other accessible location (reachable by someone outside your vehicle

a basic roadside emergency kit: tire sealant/patch kit, wool blanket, or at least a space blanket for every potential passenger (one for each seat), snack food such as jerky and trail mix, water for every passenger (not to be touched for camping supplies) LED or pyro road flares (I prefer LED type), jumper cable (or as a solo, better yet a lithium or AGM battery booster pack) (keep in mind diesels need more power to start so get one that has enough cranking amps for your vehicle) do not forget your tire iron, and if yuou have locking lug nuts, make sure you have the key for them.

Air compressor (at very least a small unit that plugs into your 12v sockets even if you have OBA or CO2 Bottle this is a good backup)

good reliable long range communications be it ham radio, or a satellite communicator, at absolute minimum a CB

Heavy duty double leather palm work gloves, especially if working with a winch. most truckers work gloves are not suitable.

mechanics gloves (no substitute for heavy work gloves

<notice I am half way through the essentials list and have not even started with "recovery gear"

Snatch strap rated for 20k for a jeep or down size truck or 30k for a full size truck (even if you are out solo wheeling it does not mean your rescue won't come in the form of a second vehicle) these are NOT winch extension straps. they are designed to stretch under use. this should be 20 feet or 30 feet. if possible having one of each length is a good idea to give you options, but at very least get a 20' 20k strap

2-4 shackles rated for at least 4.5ton (I am partial to a set of warn epic 18k shackles on the bumper recovery points (or in a bag to go on the recovery points plus a few 4.5Ton+ rated shackles for rigging))

bumper or frame mounted recovery points (not just the old fashioned hooks, but real SOLID recovery points) are an absolute must front and rear... some vehicles have them, some do not... ALL vehicles need them

some form of traction mat this can be a "recovery board" such as maxtrax or the various knock offs, but be warned. (any knock off should be considered disposable. I have yet to see any (other than ARB) that will hold up like a genuine maxtrax). I am honestly not so fond of these as they rely on plastic nubs to provide traction which frequently get melted off by spinning tires. that said if you are on a tight budget, the old redneck standard of sticking a piece of plywood under the tires does actually work just about as well for a lot less money. if you have worn down plastic boards or a couple pieces of plywood, you can increase traction by attaching a bunch of bolts through the boards. no less than 2 traction mats regardless of what type you get. ideally get 4... if you have a trailer, get 4 more.

2: winch line extensions rated for 20-30k (these are non stretching straps similar to snatch straps) these can be used to anchor a vehicle being pulled by a winch, or to extend the distance from winch to anchor, or to use as a tree saver, or as a bridal harness when rigging a winch

a bottle jack (or better yet a pair of bottle jacks) able to at very least get a wheel off the ground from the axle. with the jack, you should have at least one 2x that is large enough for the entire base of the jack and a foot long, and a piece of 4x4 lumber. these are for the purpose of creating a stable base, and a pad between the jack and your vehicle. more lumber is always a good idea.

a decent shovel (do not bother with a military style entrenching tool) a small D handle shovel should do the job

IF BUDGET ALLOWS:
a reliable winch rated at least 1.5 times your gross vehicle weight (vehicle weight loaded with people and gear, plus trailer weight loaded) do be careful of the budget winches. check reviews... pay attention only to reviews that have used the winch... too many reviews out there are "I just got this thing and hooked it up... man it is great". also seriously consider replacing the hook that comes with the winch with something a bit better... most hooks are undersize for working with straps and a winch should NEVER be hooked to it's own cable. I personally recommend a warn epic, or most anything by factor 55... whatever you choose, make sure the hook is large enough to accommodate at least 2 strap ends (preferably 4 strap ends) is rated for the load you will be putting it under with your winch (winch and snatch block combined can be a significant load) and does not have a flimsy hook. the warn epic 18k is honestly the weakest hook I would use once I can budget a bumper replacement as I plan on using a 10k winch on my tacoma. I intend to get a factor 55 multi link. also if you get a winch, you ABSOLUTELY MUST get a couple line dampeners... I know some people do not bother because synthetic lines have less energy when they break, but you have metal at the end of that line in the form of your hook or a shackle connector, etc so if the rope or strap break, that metal is going to be a cannon ball. when I had a winch on my old truck, I used a wool blanket... when I get a winch on my tacoma, I am going to make 4 dampeners with sandbag pockets

a snatch block or one of the new doughnut type winch pulleys

4-6 soft shackles rated as heavy as you can budget (I found some on amazon at a reasonable price with a breaking strength over 40k so they are actually stronger than the straps in my budget)

a hi-lift/farm jack with any accessories suited to your vehicle (tube lift adapter, wheel lift adapter, winch adapter, spare parts kit, etc) keep in mind that the hi-lift is not the safest jack, nor is any jack suited to all situations. consider a Hi-Lift to be a supplemental jack to the bottle jack but still great to have if it is in the budget also if you are mounting it externally, consider at least a neoprene cover for the ratchet mechanism and a lever lock such as the ones by daystar or clones there of. while on the topic of auxiliary jacks if you are in sand or deep snow, the exhaust jacks are quite nice, but in most other circumstances bottle jacks or even hi-lifts are better. the exhaust jacks also do not get along well with dual exhaust. you have to block one of the exhaust tips so all exhaust flows through one tip... the back pressure is also not something some engines are happy about.

while they are not common around here, I strongly recommend if you can budget some, or can DIY your own, get some bridging ladder tracks. they have been a part of "british overlanding" for generations they can serve as traction mats, they can allow you to cross a ditch, or climb/descend a ledge with far less chance of damage, but they are not cheap, and are rather heavy...

front and read snow chains (actual chain type, not cables and definitely not snow socks) these can provide you extra traction

front and rear air lockers or e-lockers (the best way to get unstuck is not to get stuck in the first place)

a ground anchor (the original pulpal is still considered the best, but there are other options available now... if you have a winch, there is no guarantee you will have someplace to anchor to. take for example local trail Nemo Tunnel. you are up to half a mile from the nearest anchor point if you got stuck inside the tunnel (fortunately the tunnel is pretty easy even if it is flooded with 14-18 inches of water through most of it) there is also a newer version out that uses your hi-lift as part of the anchor likewise a deadman anchor is a handy gadget out there if you have a winch and the budget for the accessory

Onboard Air (a twin compressor set up, or a compressed air tank, or even just a hard wired compressor... just make sure it is rated to be able to handle filling your tires 100% duty cycle is preferred)

while I mentioned it as part of the essentials as part of your road side emergency kit, I will bring it up here again... even if you have a couple cans of sealant in your emergency kit, if budget allows get a proper tire patch kit in addition to the sealant inflation cans ye just never know when that mud puddle will be hiding a piece of barbed wire or broken glass

USEFUL EXTRAS:
mud boots or sandals

rain gear (you will be unhappy if you are stuck in the mud... it will be worse if you are in an unexpected downpour while stuck in the mud)

more gear for assisted recovery (extra straps are always handy, as are extra shackles)

camp/trail axe... ye never know when you are going to have to clear dead-fall from the trail

saw (I recommend those hand powered chain saws you can get for hiking and camping or the rope saw version for pruning tree limbs... often more efficient than an axe and almost always safer) a 40v rechargeable chain saw is also nice if it is in the budget... you can also take along a conventional chain saw, but remember dedicated fuel for it.

pack some bug spray and sunscreen in with your recovery kit... you will be glad you did. likewise some baby wipes or similar wet wipe style towelette for cleaning up after getting messy during recovery. (keep more in the cab for general use along with hand sanitizer)

if you do not already have them, some towel type seat covers (easy to DIY with a bath towel) will help keep your interior in decent shape when you get covered in mud because that puddle you could see the bottom of turned out to be silty mud up to your axles

extra flashlights/headlamps for passengers

especially if solo, it is a good idea to carry a fluids change kit with enough fluids to change everything also keep a bucket with a spill control kit... this is especially true if your travel plans include water crossings (prone to contaminate fluids) or rock crawling (prone to put holes in things)

a spare fuel can with 5 gal of fuel for your vehicle minimum (even if on a local trail ride) I have seen a fuel tank punctured by a rock, patched with JB weld... it leaked, but it made it home thanks to some fuel cans) this probably SHOULD be in essentials. also remember... if you are getting out in the middle of nowhere, take more than one fuel can... how much you need to carry depends on your vehicles fuel consumption (not just on road, but what you burn through while wheeling... fully loaded... perhaps even with a trailer) and how far it will be between fuel stops when you are out in the middle of nowhere. for example... round here... I would take 1 MAYBE 2 (because the rear bumper I want can carry a pair of jerries) fuel cans wich would give me a range of 75-150 miles, but if I where heading up to ontario, or out west I would pack 4 wich would give me a range of 250-300 miles... if I where heading into the alaska wilds I would likely pack 6 or more for a range of 500 miles on road with expectation of loosing half that range if I have to do more than mild off roading or if I am pulling a trailer if I am pulling a trailer and dropping into 4 wheel lo or even 4 hi is to be expected I may carry more.

I could probably come up with more, but you are probably already panicking at the thought of maybe $10,000 worth of gear. like I said... solo is actually more gear intensive than buddy system.

Last edited:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force

when you are solo, you have to make sure you have EVERY you might need for ANY situation

ESSENTIAL:
Yes I realize many of these items are not "Recovery kit" but they are none the less as essential as a recovery kit if you are planning on traveling solo

Safety Glasses (even if your job makes you wear RX safety glasses, do not count on them. get some OTG safety glasses and keep them in the vehicle if nothing else you can loan them to a passenger or a stranger who is helping you. they are cheap... get a couple pair.

An extensive tool kit: I fear I do not have a complete list close to hand, but at very least a complete set of sockets and wrenches to match your vehicle, lineman's pliers, hammer, rubber mallet, crimping tool, breaker bar, multi meter, utility knife screwdrivers, any torx and allen keys you need for your vehicle. etc. also spares such as fuses and some 10-12g wire, plus things like WD40, ductape, electrical tape (or liquid electrical tape), heat shrink tubing, JB Weld, etc. these are just the things I could think of off the top of my head... there are a lot of lists out there, or perhaps a mechanic in the group could chime in.

a complete first aid kit (at very least a basic first aid kit with additional trauma kit including a blood coagulant such as quickclot)

at least 2: 2.5lb BC fire extinguishers in cab one the driver can reach and one that can be reached by a passenger plus at least one 5lb ABC fire extinguisher in the cargo area in the cargo area or other accessible location (reachable by someone outside your vehicle

a basic roadside emergency kit: tire sealant/patch kit, wool blanket, or at least a space blanket for every potential passenger (one for each seat), snack food such as jerky and trail mix, water for every passenger (not to be touched for camping supplies) LED or pyro road flares (I prefer LED type), jumper cable (or as a solo, better yet a lithium or AGM battery booster pack) (keep in mind diesels need more power to start so get one that has enough cranking amps for your vehicle) do not forget your tire iron, and if yuou have locking lug nuts, make sure you have the key for them.

Air compressor (at very least a small unit that plugs into your 12v sockets even if you have OBA or CO2 Bottle this is a good backup)

good reliable long range communications be it ham radio, or a satellite communicator, at absolute minimum a CB

Heavy duty double leather palm work gloves, especially if working with a winch. most truckers work gloves are not suitable.

<notice I am half way through the essentials list and have not even started with "recovery gear"

Snatch strap rated for 20k for a jeep or down size truck or 30k for a full size truck (even if you are out solo wheeling it does not mean your rescue won't come in the form of a second vehicle) these are NOT winch extension straps. they are designed to stretch under use. this should be 20 feet or 30 feet. if possible having one of each length is a good idea to give you options, but at very least get a 20' 20k strap

2-4 shackles rated for at least 4.5ton (I am partial to a set of warn epic 18k shackles on the bumper recovery points (or in a bag to go on the recovery points plus a few 4.5Ton+ rated shackles for rigging))

bumper or frame mounted recovery points (not just the old fashioned hooks, but real SOLID recovery points) are an absolute must front and rear... some vehicles have them, some do not... ALL vehicles need them

some form of traction mat this can be a "recovery board" such as mattrax or the various knock offs, but be warned. (any knock off should be considered disposable. I have yet to see any (other than ARB) that will hold up like a genuine mattrax). I am honestly not so fond of these as they rely on plastic nubs to provide traction which frequently get melted off by spinning tires. that said if you are on a tight budget, the old redneck standard of sticking a piece of plywood under the tires does actually work just about as well for a lot less money. if you have worn down plastic boards or a couple pieces of plywood, you can increase traction by attaching a bunch of bolts through the boards. no less than 2 traction mats regardless of what type you get. ideally get 4... if you have a trailer, get 4 more.

2: winch line extensions rated for 20-30k (these are non stretching straps similar to snatch straps) these can be used to anchor a vehicle being pulled by a winch, or to extend the distance from winch to anchor, or to use as a tree saver, or as a bridal harness when rigging a winch

a bottle jack (or better yet a pair of bottle jacks) able to at very least get a wheel off the ground from the axle. with the jack, you should have at least one 2x that is large enough for the entire base of the jack and a foot long, and a piece of 4x4 lumber. these are for the purpose of creating a stable base, and a pad between the jack and your vehicle. more lumber is always a good idea.

a decent shovel (do not bother with a military style entrenching tool) a small D handle shovel should do the job

IF BUDGET ALLOWS:
a reliable winch rated at least 1.5 times your gross vehicle weight (vehicle weight loaded with people and gear, plus trailer weight loaded) do be careful of the budget winches. check reviews... pay attention only to reviews that have used the winch... too many reviews out there are "I just got this thing and hooked it up... man it is great". also seriously consider replacing the hook that comes with the winch with something a bit better... most hooks are undersize for working with straps and a winch should NEVER be hooked to it's own cable. I personally recommend a warn epic, or most anything by factor 55... whatever you choose, make sure the hook is large enough to accommodate at least 2 strap ends (preferably 4 strap ends) is rated for the load you will be putting it under with your winch (winch and snatch block combined can be a significant load) and does not have a flimsy hook. the warn epic 18k is honestly the weakest hook I would use once I can budget a bumper replacement as I plan on using a 10k winch on my tacoma. I intend to get a factor 55 multi link. also if you get a winch, you ABSOLUTELY MUST get a couple line dampeners... I know some people do not bother because synthetic lines have less energy when they break, but you have metal at the end of that line in the form of your hook or a shackle connector, etc so if the rope or strap break, that metal is going to be a cannon ball. when I had a winch on my old truck, I used a wool blanket... when I get a winch on my tacoma, I am going to make 4 dampeners with sandbag pockets

4-6 soft shackles rated as heavy as you can budget (I found some on amazon at a reasonable price with a breaking strength over 40k so they are actually stronger than the straps in my budget)

a hi-lift/farm jack with any accessories suited to your vehicle (tube lift adapter, wheel lift adapter, winch adapter, spare parts kit, etc) keep in mind that the hi-lift is not the safest jack, nor is any jack suited to all situations. consider a Hi-Lift to be a supplemental jack to the bottle jack but still great to have if it is in the budget also if you are mounting it externally, consider at least a neoprene cover for the ratchet mechanism and a lever lock such as the ones by daystar or clones there of. while on the topic of auxiliary jacks if you are in sand or deep snow, the exhaust jacks are quite nice, but in most other circumstances bottle jacks or even hi-lifts are better. the exhaust jacks also do not get along well with dual exhaust. you have to block one of the exhaust tips so all exhaust flows through one tip... the back pressure is also not something some engines are happy about.

while they are not common around here, I strongly recommend if you can budget some, or can DIY your own, get some bridging ladder tracks. they have been a part of "british overlanding" for generations they can serve as traction mats, they can allow you to cross a ditch, or climb/descend a ledge with far less chance of damage, but they are not cheap, and are rather heavy...

front and read snow chains (actual chain type, not cables and definitely not snow socks) these can provide you extra traction

front and rear air lockers or e-lockers (the best way to get unstuck is not to get stuck in the first place)

a ground anchor (the original pulpal is still considered the best, but there are other options available now... if you have a winch, there is no guarantee you will have someplace to anchor to. take for example local trail Nemo Tunnel. you are up to half a mile from the nearest anchor point if you got stuck inside the tunnel (fortunately the tunnel is pretty easy even if it is flooded with 14-18 inches of water through most of it) there is also a newer version out that uses your hi-lift as part of the anchor likewise a deadman anchor is a handy gadget out there if you have a winch and the budget for the accessory

Onboard Air (a twin compressor set up, or a compressed air tank, or even just a hard wired compressor... just make sure it is rated to be able to handle filling your tires 100% duty cycle is preferred)

while I mentioned it as part of the essentials as part of your road side emergency kit, I will bring it up here again... even if you have a couple cans of sealant in your emergency kit, if budget allows get a proper tire patch kit in addition to the sealant inflation cans ye just never know when that mud puddle will be hiding a piece of barbed wire or broken glass

USEFUL EXTRAS:
mud boots or sandals

rain gear (you will be unhappy if you are stuck in the mud... it will be worse if you are in an unexpected downpour while stuck in the mud)

more gear for assisted recovery (extra straps are always handy, as are extra shackles)

camp/trail axe... ye never know when you are going to have to clear dead-fall from the trail

saw (I recommend those hand powered chain saws you can get for hiking and camping or the rope saw version for pruning tree limbs... often more efficient than an axe and almost always safer) a 40v rechargeable chain saw is also nice if it is in the budget... you can also take along a conventional chain saw, but remember dedicated fuel for it.

pack some bug spray and sunscreen in with your recovery kit... you will be glad you did. likewise some baby wipes or similar wet wipe style towelette for cleaning up after getting messy during recovery. (keep more in the cab for general use along with hand sanitizer)

if you do not already have them, some towel type seat covers (easy to DIY with a bath towel) will help keep your interior in decent shape when you get covered in mud because that puddle you could see the bottom of turned out to be silty mud up to your axles

especially if solo, it is a good idea to carry a fluids change kit with enough fluids to change everything also keep a bucket with a spill control kit... this is especially true if your travel plans include water crossings (prone to contaminate fluids) or rock crawling (prone to put holes in things)

a spare fuel can with 5 gal of fuel for your vehicle minimum (even if on a local trail ride) I have seen a fuel tank punctured by a rock, patched with JB weld... it leaked, but it made it home thanks to some fuel cans) this probably SHOULD be in essentials. also remember... if you are getting out in the middle of nowhere, take more than one fuel can... how much you need to carry depends on your vehicles fuel consumption (not just on road, but what you burn through while wheeling... fully loaded... perhaps even with a trailer) and how far it will be between fuel stops when you are out in the middle of nowhere. for example... round here... I would take 1 MAYBE 2 (because the rear bumper I want can carry a pair of jerries) fuel cans wich would give me a range of 75-150 miles, but if I where heading up to ontario, or out west I would pack 4 wich would give me a range of 250-300 miles... if I where heading into the alaska wilds I would likely pack 6 or more for a range of 500 miles on road with expectation of loosing half that range if I have to do more than mild off roading or if I am pulling a trailer if I am pulling a trailer and dropping into 4 wheel lo or even 4 hi is to be expected I may carry more.

I could probably come up with more, but you are probably already panicking at the thought of maybe $10,000 worth of gear. like I said... solo is actually more gear intensive than buddy system.
Hold on sparky, the man just wanted 5 most
Important items to carry with him on a solo adventure. To carry everything that have listed on here he will need a full size truck. A lot of what you recommended is excellent stuff but you have to be able to carry it on the vehicle, know how to use it and have the money tree to purchase it all.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
Hold on sparky, the man just wanted 5 most
Important items to carry with him on a solo adventure. To carry everything that have listed on here he will need a full size truck. A lot of what you recommended is excellent stuff but you have to be able to carry it on the vehicle, know how to use it and have the money tree to purchase it all.
in my old ranger I carried all the items I listed as essential, though several items where DIY. the ranger did not have a winch or available lockers, so I did not carry a lot of the "if budget allows section" as a lot of it has to do with winching. but if I could of gotten my hands on a winch bumper for the ranger I would certainly have added the winching gear as budget permitted. I also pointed out several areas where DIY could save on the budget. but I don't figure ye bothered reading the list.

Reactions: Island Overlander

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

For me, the top five are first aid kit, winch with accessories, some type of comms (with handhelds to keep in touch if I have to walk out to find someone while wife stays behind), shovel, and food/water.

that being said, I typically over pack just in case. But we never go out without that. I always have leather gloves in my cars so I don’t count them.

I also carry a jump box, 12v compressor, tire plug kit, matching spare tire, way to cook food/boil water, multiple ratchet straps, hatchet, and I know I’m forgetting stuff.

for me what I carry depends on the area I am headed into. If it’s muddy/sandy, kinetic rope is a must(hopefully someone else is in the area if needed), if rocky then it typically gets left behind for sake of extra space.

for me, the best advice is to overbuild your vehicle for the terrain you plan to traverse. That way it walks through it easily. Plus, if it gets tougher, the vehicle likely will make it through without getting damaged/stuck. That’s the way I’m doing ours

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I would stick to the things that let You recover Your vehicle. So reaction boards, shovel and axe and winch and all the equipment that lets you get yourself out of a whatever you may find yourself in including having some type of ground anchor. In my opinion recovery straps can probably wait since you can use your winch to self recover off other vehicles. Take all this with a grain of salt as I am new but it doesn’t make since to have all the buddy recovery gear to start with when you are on your own. Definitely get it but start with investing in your ability to get yourself out.

Island Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Veerkamp
Member #

What is a bog out?

1) shovel (minimally a trenching tool)
2) traction boards
3) bog outs
4) recovery points (front/rear)/shackels/snatch strap
5) winch/snatch block/ tree straps

Looking at the previous posts, people know a lot more than I do, but this is what works for me.

CharlieS

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Vermont, USA
First Name
CHARLES
Last Name
SPRIGG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

ESSENTIAL:

some form of traction mat this can be a "recovery board" such as maxtrax or the various knock offs, but be warned. (any knock off should be considered disposable. I have yet to see any (other than ARB) that will hold up like a genuine maxtrax). I am honestly not so fond of these as they rely on plastic nubs to provide traction which frequently get melted off by spinning tires. that said if you are on a tight budget, the old redneck standard of sticking a piece of plywood under the tires does actually work just about as well for a lot less money. if you have worn down plastic boards or a couple pieces of plywood, you can increase traction by attaching a bunch of bolts through the boards. no less than 2 traction mats regardless of what type you get. ideally get 4... if you have a trailer, get 4 more.

IF BUDGET ALLOWS:

USEFUL EXTRAS:
mud boots or sandals

HOLY COW, I THINK I WILL JUST GO FOR A SUNDAY RIDE ! It takes years to accumulate a stash like that.

You didn't mention anything that isn't needed at some time or another. I've been accumulating for over 60 years and I dont have half of what you listed.

Friends, just get out and do it, use your head and don't do stupid thing's when you lack equipment or ability.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Cool kit from Australia that allows you to use the vehicle wheels as a self winching mechanism.

Cool !! I'm sure it's much cheaper than a winch by the time you add a winch plate or bumper to your rig that could cost upward of 2 k depending on your rig and your ability to DIY dome things.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Here are what I’ve considered the bare essentials for a while. Where specified they are reliable, affordable within reason, and ubiquitous which helps keep them from growing legs of their own.

1. Fiskars Long Handled Shovel Steel Round Point
2. Fiskars 375581-1001 Chopping Axe, 28-Inch
3. Leather Work Gloves(user preference)
4. Handheld radio (BaoFeng UV-5R)
5. A good pair of walking shoes/boots with fresh socks(user preference)

I’ve yet to be forced to walk out to civilization but I’m always ready to if I experience a breakdown or get good and stuck.

I carry a handheld radio so I can walk with it and contact park rangers/sheriffs, also b/c of Murphy it’s likely the truck will break where I have spotty range like down in a holler.

The axe, shovel, and gloves allow for all sorts of “get outta jail woodcraft style” solutions, you just need to put the sweat into using them, and your brain into how to efficiently utilize them given your current stuck.

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army

ESSENTIAL:

IF BUDGET ALLOWS:

USEFUL EXTRAS:
mud boots or sandals

When I first read this I thought that it was way over the top. I re-read it and realized that it's a list of what I have in my Decked system and what I carry for a 3 day trip.
I can add spare tie rod ends, spare cv axle, serp belt, oil, trans fluid. I need to get some brake fluid for the possibles box.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

There's some sound advice on equipment in all the comments. We'd like to add what we believe is the two most important pieces of "recovery gear" you should bring along. Remember; you're all alone, nobody to help you or show off in front of.
1) Common sense and the ability to control testosterone to keep yourself out of difficult solo recovery situations.
2) Knowledge of safe methods of rigging a winch line and using traction boards. Again, you're all alone. Nobody to rush you to the nearest hospital.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
My 2 cents, everyone knows that you shouldn't go out alone but some of us do anyway, myself included. what I bring with me/ what is equipped on my vehicle is:

1. a working winch ( I check my winch before and after a trail run to make sure it is working and the cable isn't bound up in itself.)
2. full size spare
3. recovery straps, shackles
4. snatch block ( I actually carry 2)
5. a winch anchor ( I have been in situations where there were not trees in an area close enough to pull from.)
6. a shovel
7. Hi-lift
8. any specific tools for vehicle and knowledge to do a quick trail repair or at least enough to get you out to a safe area.

I also carry extra fuel and have a CB in the Jeep. there aren't many HAM users in my arear so it doesn't do me any good. My wife always knows where I am headed ( at least a general area) and I usually know the areas pretty well when I am going solo. I have traction boards but have never actually found a spot where they would work to get me out. I have done most of my recoveries with my winch or Hi-lift.
I have been stuck out overnight in a vehicle, stuck in a bog with a few curious wolves and its not the best sleep you'll ever have. I always have a day or 2 of extra food and I am an experienced hiker, which came in handy as the next day I had to walk out about 10 km to the nearest road to get a cell signal to call a family member with a 4x4 to help with recovery. also reached out to a club member who put me in touch with a few people who were in the area and they came out to help too. what I really needed to get out whas my winch anchor... which I had left at home.
125072702_1123005544781954_7666314966091094067_n.jpg125557219_821788651933092_4187826988476977736_n.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My 2 cents, everyone knows that you shouldn't go out alone but some of us do anyway, myself included. what I bring with me/ what is equipped on my vehicle is:

1. a working winch ( I check my winch before and after a trail run to make sure it is working and the cable isn't bound up in itself.)
2. full size spare
3. recovery straps, shackles
4. snatch block ( I actually carry 2)
5. a winch anchor ( I have been in situations where there were not trees in an area close enough to pull from.)
6. a shovel
7. Hi-lift
8. any specific tools for vehicle and knowledge to do a quick trail repair or at least enough to get you out to a safe area.

I also carry extra fuel and have a CB in the Jeep. there aren't many HAM users in my arear so it doesn't do me any good. My wife always knows where I am headed ( at least a general area) and I usually know the areas pretty well when I am going solo. I have traction boards but have never actually found a spot where they would work to get me out. I have done most of my recoveries with my winch or Hi-lift.
I have been stuck out overnight in a vehicle, stuck in a bog with a few curious wolves and its not the best sleep you'll ever have. I always have a day or 2 of extra food and I am an experienced hiker, which came in handy as the next day I had to walk out about 10 km to the nearest road to get a cell signal to call a family member with a 4x4 to help with recovery. also reached out to a club member who put me in touch with a few people who were in the area and they came out to help too. what I really needed to get out whas my winch anchor... which I had left at home.
View attachment 176898View attachment 176899
Nothing like being there and doing that to educate yourself. What should be noted here is that your stuck, not broken. None of the long list of things posted in this thread would have gotten you out and home except a ground anchor you forgot to bring. Did you have your snatch blocks ? I would like to add, your age and physical ability is the most important thing to have. I dont have either so I must use my smart to avoid these challenges. Dont go where you should fear to tread if your solo.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Nothing like being there and doing that to educate yourself. What should be noted here is that your stuck, not broken. None of the long list of things posted in this thread would have gotten you out and home except a ground anchor you forgot to bring. Did you have your snatch blocks ? I would like to add, your age and physical ability is the most important thing to have. I dont have either so I must use my smart to avoid these challenges. Dont go where you should fear to tread if your solo.
I did have my snatch blocks but there was nothing to snatch to. I actually did break the Jeep pretty bad. Both rear shocks bent and tore out of the body, the steering box seal blew from trying to overwork it, the rear locker wiring tore and the passenger front axle stub was hanging on my a thread because it got a little tweaked. The problem I had with winching wat it was a really wide hydro cut, the jeep was hung up on a log in the middle and I had to winch diagonally across a creek which I didn't know how deep it was. I pulled down a green and snapped a recovery strap before calling it a night and sleeping in the jeep. After we got it out the next day and I had a chance to look it over I patches it back together and drove it the 250 km home to finish the repairs.
I'm not old but I'm not young anymore either lol. My wife likes to backpack and do long distance ( long distance to us about 15-20 km per day through difficult terrain.) hiking to get to camp sites so the 10 km out to the road took me less than an hour to get out to because there was a defined trail.

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
I see "a winch" coming up very frequently in this thread. I'm in SoCal and traveling on my own very frequently, yet, a winch is one thing I have continued to not buy - am I wrong? Reason being, in all situations where I have been stuck, there's never been a tree or good anchor in a mile radius. It's very very rare that I find myself in a situation where I could see using a winch as a recovery tool - I resort to traction matts, shovel, and jacks. I'm in a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, so I'm not in the most difficult terrain - typically never going on a trail more than 5/10.

Have I just gotten lucky so far and never been stuck where a winch was truly the only way out?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I see "a winch" coming up very frequently in this thread. I'm in SoCal and traveling on my own very frequently, yet, a winch is one thing I have continued to not buy - am I wrong? Reason being, in all situations where I have been stuck, there's never been a tree or good anchor in a mile radius. It's very very rare that I find myself in a situation where I could see using a winch as a recovery tool - I resort to traction matts, shovel, and jacks. I'm in a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, so I'm not in the most difficult terrain - typically never going on a trail more than 5/10.

Have I just gotten lucky so far and never been stuck where a winch was truly the only way out?
With where you likely drive and the vehicle you drive you aren't as likely to need a winch because you are not doing and major water crossings, rock crawling or traveling through deep mud. That being said something that can be used as a winch such as a hi-lift may come in handy if there was a time for winching. Of coarse there are always other options out there as well and as you said you never really have anywhere to pull from anyway so what your doing seems to be working I suppose

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

When you are going solo winch off buried things. You can bury a tire or a over head rack if there isn’t a tree, I have done it more the once. Dig a hole about 3 feet or more, rig the tire and drop it into the hole, then fill it back up.

Last edited: