Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
DarinAndJen
Last Name
TacoMacs
Member #

So we decided to get into Overlanding. We ran out and bought a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road specifically for adventures. A piece of armor here and there, a bed rack, a RTT, this, that, etc... It adds up $$$ pretty quick. Obviously we all have car/truck/suv, etc insurance. What about the equipment we've added? Anyone ever insure their overlanding gear? Is that even a thing?

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

So we decided to get into Overlanding. We ran out and bought a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road specifically for adventures. A piece of armor here and there, a bed rack, a RTT, this, that, etc... It adds up $$$ pretty quick. Obviously we all have car/truck/suv, etc insurance. What about the equipment we've added? Anyone ever insure their overlanding gear? Is that even a thing?
I have a 2016 4runner, fairly well kitted out. There are some insurance companies out there that will insure these rigs. I checked into it. Just be prepared for your insurance to double!

Reactions: TacoMacs

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Short answer - No.

Longer answer - we take measures to reduce the chances of theft - stuff built in is difficult to steal anyway; if we're remote from infrastructure our experience is that theft is very rare so we aren't worried, when we're in areas (cities in particular) where theft is more likely we park in secure parking.

TacoMacs

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
DarinAndJen
Last Name
TacoMacs
Member #

Short answer - No.

Longer answer - we take measures to reduce the chances of theft - stuff built in is difficult to steal anyway; if we're remote from infrastructure our experience is that theft is very rare so we aren't worried, when we're in areas (cities in particular) where theft is more likely we park in secure parking.
Right on, good points.

CeramicRebel

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Begando
Member #

I called the insurance and asked if my gear is covered in case of theft. I was told that if I had the receipts and proof it was on the vehicle they would cover it. Even my tools for work that I store in the truck would be covered. I have State Farm.

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
my insurance company raised my rates for adding items, insisted they had more to insure now

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If it’s loose gear, cameras, backpacks, etc, etc, homeowners insures it like any other theft or loss from your vehicle.

If it’s aftermarket bolt on, or our trailer and it all burns to the ground, the only thing covered is the stock value of the truck. All the bolt on and hitched on junk, including front & rear bumpers, sliders, racks, my home built trailer etc you’re talking roughly 10k. Had I been paying the extra premiums that’d be 10k down the drain over the past 15 years. I choose to self insure. BTW, if there is a theft, the only way home owners insurance will cover it is with a detailed police report. If your home owners doesn’t cover content loss, then you need to get different insurance.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If my vehicle was stolen i'd be screwed. The insurance would cover some but I would still be out. Small things don't stay inside and large things have a couple of bolts tack welded. I never tacked any of my bolts until my buddies winch, front and rear bumper's were stolen one night from his driveway. I've switched over to remote mount radios and have the control heads look like their part of the dash and the mic's plug in. The mics stay in my console. My tablet mount only has the ball showing when its not in. If someone looks inside they see what looks like a stock vehicle with nothing to grab quick.

As far as total vehicle theft, I had a friend who owed a repo company (not like the fake TV ones). It was amazing how fast he could grab a vehicle and load it up on his flat bed. He showed me that he could grab anything fast. There was a Jeep theft ring operating not far from me. In one of the picture's I saw how they grabbed some of them. OMG it was very easily done.

Like @MOAK said, I self insure and take what precautions I can. My insurance would cover some things but the cost prevents it.