Launch Member

Enthusiast II

North Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Noli
Last Name
Gracilla
Member #

I am new to overlanding but a long time backpacker. The only epic campsites that I know involves hours of hiking. It would be nice to have a thread that compiles great campsites and the trail leading to it. I know finding a route and a campsite is half the fun but for a weekend overlander like me, this information would be so valuable. Especially if it includes trail data (whether it can be traversed by 2WD/4WD/or if a high clearance, heavily modified vehicle is needed) and location.
Is this reasonable? Or do people keep “epic campsites” secret to keep it “epic”?

Last edited:

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Sadly an exerggrated word diminishing the meaning.

epic. An epic is a long poem or other work of art celebrating heroic feats. ... Epic can be used as an adjective to describe something historically important, lasting and complex. Perhaps your great-grandfather was a soldier in the epic struggle of World War One.

Sorry...........carry on.

Reactions: Old Tanker

Noli G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Noli
Last Name
Gracilla
Member #

Sadly an exerggrated word diminishing the meaning.

epic. An epic is a long poem or other work of art celebrating heroic feats. ... Epic can be used as an adjective to describe something historically important, lasting and complex. Perhaps your great-grandfather was a soldier in the epic struggle of World War One.

Sorry...........carry on.
Or according to Merriam Webster Dictionary-- Epic means "extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope".

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Fabulous scenic and remote area campsites need to stay a secret to keep them from being "loved to death". Far too many sites suddenly are cursed with graffiti, trash and irreversible damage after a few hundred views on Facebook and "the gram". Idiots that deface historic sites, drive through lake beds off trail causing damage to sensitive sites and insist on leaving their mark on nature for "likes" cause us all to lose areas we can wheel in.

Share the sites with your friends, host an outing to share directly with like minded and responsible people. But don't blast GPS coordinates or detailed directions out to the universe.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm all for doing the work and exploration ourselves to find our own best and favorite spots. It makes them much more meaningful, really.

It's one hell of a lot more rewarding in the end, and far more exciting while getting there, to research, plan, and investigate an area oneself than to have all the info and details provided.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am new to overlanding but a long time backpacker. The only epic campsites that I know involves hours of hiking. It would be nice to have a thread that compiles great campsites and the trail leading to it. I know finding a route and a campsite is half the fun but for a weekend overlander like me, this information would be so valuable. Especially if it includes trail data (whether it can be traversed by 2WD/4WD/or if a high clearance, heavily modified vehicle is needed) and location.
Is this reasonable? Or do people keep “epic campsites” secret to keep it “epic”?
The problem withwhat you ask is that we gather here from all over the world. Digging through posts to find that one "Epic" campground that you can actually drive to on your weekend would be very time consuming. There is a section broken down by region for trails, with gps cordinates, waysites, and gps markers wich making finding that "Epic" trail possibble, then you find "your" perfect camp spot. What is epic to you might be less than perfect to me.

Story time:
I am anvid weekend back country explorer. During the summer time you only find me in civilization on the weekend on my restocking weekend (usually the 1st weekend of the month), the rest of the time I am deep in the woods exploring some old logging road looking for that ever elusive "Epic" trail or campsite. Last summer I spent most of my time in one small area where I grew up elk hunting and exploring with my grandpa, while sharing my past with my wife, kids, and a family I was really close to.
The other family was going through a hard time, so they had all the time durring the week to explore. So they would go out every evening hunting mushrooms, berries, but most I portantly a place to set up a base camp for exploring on the weekend when we would be able to join them. Usually they chose decent, not perfect, but decent, camp sites.
On this particular day I though we were going to camp at the "Epic" camp spot we had found the weekend before. But as we were cruising down the road, we drove right on past the turn off. I got on the radio and asked why they had gone on past. My friend told me he found a "better" place to set up camp a few miles up the road.
After about an hour of eating dust, I round a corner and I cant see any vehicles or dust in front of me. He tells me to back up to the corner and look for the wood cutting road off to my left and fallow it to the end.
I turn down the old overgrown wood cutting road, bouncing over stumps, splashing through a couple of puddles, and climb a narly hill. The road was very fun to drive, but it ended at the top of the hill.
When I arrived, he had already got his tent set up and his little kids were out gathering wood for the cook fire. He was setting up the kitchen. I pulled my Bronco in behind his truck and my family got out to explore and evaluate where to set up our tents. I spent close to an hour walking the hillside looking for a levelish spot to put my tent with out big rocks, tree roots, or other back injuring debris to no avail. I ended up finding a spot that was level enough that my backpack only slid about 2 feet instead of 20 yards when I set it on the ground. Unfortunately there was also a huge rock in the middle of the spot, so down the mountain I went to retrieve the shovel out of the Bronco.
I got back up to the tent spot, spent about an hour digging up the rock and setting up my tent. The whole time complaining that this was an awful camp site. My friend and his wife kept raving about how great this spot was.
Finally after 2 hours I had a spot to sleep, so I could turn my attention to getting my teen aged wolves (children) fed. Only to find my cooler ransacked by creatures with little hands and feet. His kids had gotten into all the coolers and dumped all the drinking water out, grubbed on raw hotdogs, and spilled chips everywhere. The onlything untouched was the oatmeal.
So what does a good dad do when his family is hungry and the weekend food supplynis destroyed and the water is all gone? Why he grabs his .22 rifle and goes rabbit hunting. after a few short minutes I scare up a rabbit, and not to far down the trail I got a couple of squirls. I saw a streem on my way in, so I filled up my camelback full of water and returned to camp.
Back at camp my wife and I whent to work making rabbit and squirl stew. (Couldn't let my daughter know what we were eating though because shes a city girl and can barely stand eating chicken).
Finally dinner is served, the evening weens into night, the birds stopped singing, and the crickets start thier lullabies. This is my que its time for bed. We tredge up the hill to the tent and caalapse into our sleeping bags.
I wake up the next morning smelling rubber. I unzip the door to the tent and see a brand new 32" tire stairing back at me. We had slid all the way back down the hill to the bronco.
My back hurt like crazy, my wife's back wasn't much better. The teens were grumpy, (I found out later they couldn't get comfortable because of the rocky ground) and starving. We were going to scrounge up brakefast, but had to wait on my friends wife to get back from town. She was picking up some of her friends, along with more food and water.
The girls wanted to go swimming and I wanted to go fishing, so a plan was hatched to go to a swimming hole I knew of from being a kid. After brakefast.... try breakfast at 2 pm... we drive up to my hole. I tell the kids that bellow the road is swimming, and above he road is fishing. I set up my pole and statt my short walk into my old fishing hole only to find kids rolling rocks arround making a dam in my fishing spot. So like a responsible adult I head below he road only to find more kids being kids. Although my eldest daughter and my son love fishing so they had grabbed their poles as well and were looking for a place to cast their lines.
my family got bored real quick, and we wanted to go up the road to hole number 2, one problem...the other two familys parked in such a way that I was blocked in. So my wife, kids and I climed into the Bronco and took a much needed nap.
We woke up to the other two families stoping and yelling as they returned to thier vehicles. My friend asked if we were ready to go and I said yes. They tore out of the parking spot as if some one unloaded a shotgun on them kicking up rocks as they hit the road. My bronco wouldn't start. Tried calling out on the radio no reply. I opened the hod and looked around and couldn't see an obvious problem so climbed back in and saw that my ignition switch had come loose, so tightened it up and we hit the trail.
I drove like a mad man to catch up to the convoy, sliding and fishtailing around a few corners until I came to the main intersection. I slowed it down to reasonable speeds back to camp. But wait, I hit pavement. I drove 4 miles past my corner. I turn around and drive really slow back up the road to find the wood cutting road back to camp. I almost miss it a second time.
We get to camp, the cooking fire is dieing out, all the food is gone again. I habe had enough, pack my gear up, and headed home.
This was the ladt time I talked to my so called friends, and the last time my son was to ever go camping with us as a family. My wife refuses to camp now becausr of this experience and I dont know if my daughter will come out from Colorado to come camping with her dad either.
To this day, my so called friend still thinks this spot is "Epic".

Noli G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Noli
Last Name
Gracilla
Member #

Fabulous scenic and remote area campsites need to stay a secret to keep them from being "loved to death". Far too many sites suddenly are cursed with graffiti, trash and irreversible damage after a few hundred views on Facebook and "the gram". Idiots that deface historic sites, drive through lake beds off trail causing damage to sensitive sites and insist on leaving their mark on nature for "likes" cause us all to lose areas we can wheel in.

Share the sites with your friends, host an outing to share directly with like minded and responsible people. But don't blast GPS coordinates or detailed directions out to the universe.
I’m afraid I have to disagree with you. I believe the backpacking community and the overland community have a lot of things in common— love of the outdoors, finding remote locations that are truly exceptional, leaving the trail better than how we found them, etc— but the backpacking community share details about the trails, campsites, tips on where to find water, etc... out there for all people to see. And yet we don’t necessarily find those places vandalized. Why? Accessibility. You don’t hike 15 miles to your destination and trash it. The problem arise when the “great destination/campsite/trail” is very accessible. Then you get those idiots who don’t share your inherent belief easy access to those locations. They won’t drive miles and miles of washboard dirt road just to vandalize it. Besides, the information about those “epic” trails/campsites/ are out there available online—what I’m saying is that it would be nice to have a repository of that data in one place. Most importantly, details about the trail condition, whether or not a stock 4x4 would suffice, etc. The last thing you want to happen to you is that you drive 8 hours to a trailhead, based on your desktop research and find the trail unsuitable for your rig.
If people are afraid that this will destroy their favorite spot, then don’t post exact GPS coordinates. Post general information, a trail of breadcrumbs, so to speak, to start the search in the right direction.

Reactions: Sean's #1 Pop

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’m afraid I have to disagree with you. I believe the backpacking community and the overland community have a lot of things in common— love of the outdoors, finding remote locations that are truly exceptional, leaving the trail better than how we found them, etc— but the backpacking community share details about the trails, campsites, tips on where to find water, etc... out there for all people to see. And yet we don’t necessarily find those places vandalized. Why? Accessibility. You don’t hike 15 miles to your destination and trash it. The problem arise when the “great destination/campsite/trail” is very accessible. Then you get those idiots who don’t share your inherent belief easy access to those locations. They won’t drive miles and miles of washboard dirt road just to vandalize it. Besides, the information about those “epic” trails/campsites/ are out there available online—what I’m saying is that it would be nice to have a repository of that data in one place. Most importantly, details about the trail condition, whether or not a stock 4x4 would suffice, etc. The last thing you want to happen to you is that you drive 8 hours to a trailhead, based on your desktop research and find the trail unsuitable for your rig.
If people are afraid that this will destroy their favorite spot, then don’t post exact GPS coordinates. Post general information, a trail of breadcrumbs, so to speak, to start the search in the right direction.

There's a big difference between hiking in 15 miles to a cool site and driving in a rough road to a cool site as far as who may or may not leave trash and debris behind. Just by simple virtue of having a vehicle and not having to be as space or weight conscious as a backpacker needs to be, allows folks to haul a lot more in and potentially leave a lot more behind. And leave it behind they do.

I see it with increasing regularity as the overland movement becomes more and more popular. Honestly, and all over the country, backcountry or not.

Twenty miles down a rocky road to a remote campsite only to find toilet paper stuck to cactus, human waste unburied, glass and metal in an illegal campfire spot, bottle caps, cigarette butts, live trees felled, etc. People who have no earthly idea how to dispose of waste water or build a fire or that throwing food into the brush is wrong. I've hauled portable camp toilets, literally full of shit, away that were left behind by guys in vehicles with shovels strapped to the sides because they didn't want to deal with it. Seriously. I've cleaned up more back and front country campsites vacated by folks that should know better than I can shake a stick at.

There's also a huge difference between broadcasting on the internet the location of favorite trails as opposed to sharing it privately with those you already know will treat the place with the same respect you do. Not everyone in the off-road and overland and adventure communities, OR general public who has access to these boards will have the same sense of propriety or leave no trace as you might. People even here on these boards, in OB, have said things like "it's just the desert, there's nothing there, can't hurt anything."

It's why most park rangers I've talked to around the country--and I make a point of asking--from Maine to Tennessee to West Texas, as well as organizations like Leave No Trace all express dismay at the revealing of favorite locations on social media platforms and forums. Many have actively asked folks to stop geotagging because of the sheer numbers to whom the information then becomes available. People want easy accessible info without doing the work. That doesn't mean not giving exact coordinates, that means not giving the name of the place, like Horsehoe Bend or some certain overlook, or special spot. They recommend saying the name of the park, forest, WMA, or BLM name, but not the trail head name, not the campsite name, and yes, especially not the coordinates.

As an aside, they also discourage convoys of vehicles greater than three or four in number. A group of ten vehicles all hitting a trail or back country dirt road at the same time will do more lasting damage than those ten vehicles hitting the same trail on separate occasions.

I'm on the road and adventuring and camping rather constantly, somewhere around 600 nights or more in the last two years. The single biggest disappointment and frustration I experience is the amount of crap left behind in places where folks should know better.

As you start your adventure into overlanding more and more, I believe you will see the difference between backpackers and folks with overly capable vehicles and what they can do when they can go anywhere.

Road

Last edited:

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
In consideration of your viewpoint I do agree that a repository would be advantageous for those who share a sense of responsibility and a love of the outdoors. I also agree that the access factor is a massive consideration when regarding the likelihood of vandalism. What we are seeing particularly in Southern California is an insurgence of people in the back woods who will drive that miles of washboard for the chance to show their "followers" that they are "#overlandAF" as they graffiti their Instagram handle next to a petroglyph, or carve it into a bristlecone. Just as much as we don't wish to drive a considerable distance to find the area inaccessible, we also don't want to drive to a recommended destination only to find some "urban artist" has felt the need to add their cultural mark.

Hence my suggestion to share with the like-minded, or via an organized run of those with similar respect and appreciation tendencies. Your advice regarding an "in the neighborhood" reference is well founded and sage advice. I only hope the destructive and disrespectful percentage of those on the backroads will soon move on to their latest fad.

Noli G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Noli
Last Name
Gracilla
Member #

In consideration of your viewpoint I do agree that a repository would be advantageous for those who share a sense of responsibility and a love of the outdoors. I also agree that the access factor is a massive consideration when regarding the likelihood of vandalism. What we are seeing particularly in Southern California is an insurgence of people in the back woods who will drive that miles of washboard for the chance to show their "followers" that they are "#overlandAF" as they graffiti their Instagram handle next to a petroglyph, or carve it into a bristlecone. Just as much as we don't wish to drive a considerable distance to find the area inaccessible, we also don't want to drive to a recommended destination only to find some "urban artist" has felt the need to add their cultural mark.

Hence my suggestion to share with the like-minded, or via an organized run of those with similar respect and appreciation tendencies. Your advice regarding an "in the neighborhood" reference is well founded and sage advice. I only hope the destructive and disrespectful percentage of those on the backroads will soon move on to their latest fad.
I base my assumptions as a backpacker. I see it all the time— the amount of trash on the trail is directly proportional to the length of the hike. 5, 10, 15 miles in, you weed out those “Instagram Urban Artists” as you call them. I’ve once hauled 13 gallons worth of trash from Eaton Falls Hike, a very short and popular hike here in SoCal. I guess overlanding is the same but at a much bigger scale. And access to those destinations is not limited by your will and perseverance and the love of the outdoors but how deep your pocket is— by buying over capable rigs that can reach those places. What @Road is saying is both sad and appalling.

Reactions: Sean's #1 Pop

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

As a backpacker of 35+ years, an upland game hunter for longer than that and a recent convert to car camping........regardless of your mode of travel or reason for a romantic connection to the land......maybe this translates to some here:

I remember finding "those places" as a pup. There were no words, photos could only scratch the surface. They were mine.

I shared with a few select friends who were like minded. Who not only felt/valued them as I did, but reciprocated. They became ours.

They shared with their friends, some who weren't so like minded. Who shared with their friends, who had a different view on stewardship/yada/yada/yada. And just like that, "those places" were theirs.

All of my/our places are theirs now. Save one. The dog and I have a pact, we're both taking it to our graves.

Such is life.

Last edited:

Noli G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Noli
Last Name
Gracilla
Member #

As a backpacker of 35+ years, an upland game hunter for longer than that and a recent convert to car camping........regardless of your mode of travel or reason for a romantic connection to the land......maybe this translates to some here:

I remember finding "those places" as a pup. There were no words, photos could only scratched the surface. They were mine.

I shared with a few select friends who were like minded. Who not only felt/valued them as I did, but reciprocated. They became ours.

They shared with their friends, some who weren't so like minded. Who shared with their friends, who had a different view on stewardship/yada/yada/yada. And just like that, "those places" were theirs.

All of my/our places are theirs now. Save one. The dog and I have a pact, we're both taking it to our graves.

Such is life.
Well said.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I consider this one epic in my own personal books. 69.456135, -133.036160
How to get there? Turn North, and drive until the road in Canada ends. Sadly, I do not believe you can actually camp exactly in our "epic" spot anymore. The influx of travelers has caused enough concern to establish somewhat of a camp ground slightly south of the most-excellent (and free) location we were permitted to camp at in July of 2018.

37377569_10155380564236637_1511267196095954944_o.jpg

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I base my assumptions as a backpacker. I see it all the time— the amount of trash on the trail is directly proportional to the length of the hike. 5, 10, 15 miles in, you weed out those “Instagram Urban Artists” as you call them. I’ve once hauled 13 gallons worth of trash from Eaton Falls Hike, a very short and popular hike here in SoCal. I guess overlanding is the same but at a much bigger scale. And access to those destinations is not limited by your will and perseverance and the love of the outdoors but how deep your pocket is— by buying over capable rigs that can reach those places. What @Road is saying is both sad and appalling.
Au Contraire, those epic places are best kept to very trusted people. I've lost a few epic places over the years, now they are destroyed by people that had no respect for them. Never again!!

No rig is "over capable"!

Deep pockets ??? My first 4X4 was an old Chevy K10 pickup truck ........ and I certainly did NOT have deep pockets when I bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I concur with @1derer on Tuweep. Here's another in the area (North Rim of the Grand Canyon) - Kelly Point. Similar trek of long dirt road to get there, very remote, amazing sunrise and sunsets over the GC, and I would consider "Epic."

As a former backpacker, I certainly understand there will be conflict among the two groups, but also believe there is common ground to share. I am at a point in my life (over age 60) when I need a bit more comfort than backpacking gear allows. Hence, my wife and I discovering 'overlanding' to get our back country fix.

I will continue to use my vehicle for adventure travel and if I need to seek additional solitude, hiking is a great way to find out of the way beauty.

Attachments

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Au Contraire, those epic places are best kept to very trusted people. I've lost a few epic places over the years, now they are destroyed by people that had no respect for them. Never again!!

No rig is "over capable"!

Deep pockets ??? My first 4X4 was an old Chevy K10 pickup truck ........ and I certainly did NOT have deep pockets when I bought it.
I can't speak for him, of course, though I think he means by deep pockets and over capable rigs, the sheer numbers of people getting into adventuring and 'overlanding' who have never backpacked or been off-road before, never traveled long distance in a vehicle, never had to depend on themselves and their own skills, who start off with brand new trucks with all the overland bling they think can think of, so they can look like they know what they're doing.

When what they have, actually, is no experience. Those rigs are bought by folks with deep pockets and those rigs are over capable for their owner's skills. It's what I meant when saying 'overly capable' in the comment he referred to.

And, in my experience, because they can carry a lot of crap and can now get into places they never dreamt of going to before but have seen all over facebook and other social media, including these forums, they go in ever increasing numbers. And leave ever increasing amounts of evidence they've been there, from leaving shit behind (often literally) to the damage they do on trails. Some is done through sheer ignorance, not knowing how to do better, and some is done through sheer negligence.

There's an opportunity for these folks to learn, and it's behooves forums and organizations like OB to step up to the plate even more than they are to help provide that education and to encourage better and more responsible recreation and low impact land use.

Road

Last edited:

Noli G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Noli
Last Name
Gracilla
Member #

I can't speak for him, of course, though I think he means by deep pockets and over capable rigs, the sheer numbers of people getting into adventuring and 'overlanding' who have never backpacked or been off-road before, never traveled long distance in a vehicle, never had to depend on themselves and their own skills, who start off with brand new trucks with all the overland bling they think can think of, so they can look like they know what they're doing.

When what they have, actually, is no experience. Those rigs are bought by folks with deep pockets and those rigs are over capable for their owner's skills.

And, in my experience, because they can carry a lot of crap and can now get into places they never dreamt of going to before but have seen all over facebook and other social media, including these forums, they go in ever increasing numbers. And leave ever increasing amounts of evidence they've been there, from leaving shit behind (often literally) to the damage they do on trails. Some is done through sheer ignorance, not knowing how to do better, and some is done through sheer negligence.

There's an opportunity for these folks to learn, and it's behooves forums and organizations like OB to step up to the plate even more than they are to help provide that education and to encourage better and more responsible recreation and low impact land use.

Road

Thank you for answering that so eloquently.

Reactions: Road